If God promised an eternity of suffering ...

Of the Kingdom

Nov 26, 2018
Atlanta, Georgia
✟48,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A most interesting question. I am not able to answer it honestly and completely, because I am totally incapable of imagining God choosing to make my existence as miserable as possible.

God does tell me, "In this life you will have tribulation", so I would never have accepted Him without being prepared to suffer, for a time at least. And I do claim that the promise of eternal well-being is no part of my motivation for following Him. Fear may be a motivator for someone to consider coming to Christ, but (in my opinion) it must cease to be a motivator, or there is no true salvation.

In one sense it can be argued that God does indeed "sentence" His followers to "eternal suffering". Jesus gives us eternal life, and according to Buddhist understanding (if I have it right) that seems to imply that suffering will continue also. This needs to be investigated more, since God also says that He will "wipe away every tear", implying that the kind of life we will have then has no suffering associated with it. That makes me wonder if the Buddhist idea of Nirvana can be considered some form of life, and how different our understanding of the ultimate goal for mankind really is.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
The question is incomprehensible. God cannot be God and "not God" at the same time. You are changing an essential part of His nature in making him punish loyalty, which makes it a "not God".
Why can't promising an eternity of suffering" be an "essential part of His nature"?

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
It would be impossible to sincerely love a god like that. Not very many people love the God that does exist as it is even though He is the epitome of love
In some Buddhist schools (not ones I follow), the fullness of love and compassion means working & suffering through eternity to free others.

In any case, the purpose of my question is to point out that believers follow their chosen deity, not for the deity's own sake, but for the sake of gaining something else - eternal personal peace/happiness/etc. or similar.

• Agree
Reactions: BigV
Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
A most interesting question. I am not able to answer it honestly and completely, because I am totally incapable of imagining God choosing to make my existence as miserable as possible.

God does tell me, "In this life you will have tribulation", so I would never have accepted Him without being prepared to suffer, for a time at least. And I do claim that the promise of eternal well-being is no part of my motivation for following Him. Fear may be a motivator for someone to consider coming to Christ, but (in my opinion) it must cease to be a motivator, or there is no true salvation.

In one sense it can be argued that God does indeed "sentence" His followers to "eternal suffering". Jesus gives us eternal life, and according to Buddhist understanding (if I have it right) that seems to imply that suffering will continue also. This needs to be investigated more, since God also says that He will "wipe away every tear", implying that the kind of life we will have then has no suffering associated with it. That makes me wonder if the Buddhist idea of Nirvana can be considered some form of life, and how different our understanding of the ultimate goal for mankind really is.
You are correct, Buddhism (as I understand it) teaches that life equals change, and change must result in suffering to those attached.

"Life", as it is generally understood, involves thinking and consciousness, among other qualities. The very act of thinking involves change (in the mind); the act of consciousness involves the observance of change (in the "inner" or the "outer" worlds). So, an "unchanging life" cannot exist, since life involves those changes, growth, descent, etc.

At the same time, we suffer when we observe change in the things we wish to stay the same. Therefore, "eternal life" is seen as a form of "eternal suffering".

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why can't promising an eternity of suffering" be an "essential part of His nature"?
It can be an essential part of someones nature, but you can't change essential properties while maintaining identity. It's like asking if a square circle can go through a square hole. The sentence structure can get your mind to work on the problem of the hole, but you can't get your mind to work on the object.

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's why this is a hypothetical ... what if that was part of "God's" identity?
I fat thumbed the rating.

It's like asking if a square circle can go through a square hole. The sentence structure can get your mind to work on the problem of the hole, but you can't get your mind to work on the object because it makes no sense. It makes no sense because the essential properties are contradictory.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
I fat thumbed the rating.

It's like asking if a square circle can go through a square hole. The sentence structure can get your mind to work on the problem of the hole, but you can't get your mind to work on the object because it makes no sense. It makes no sense because the essential properties are contradictory.
For the purposes of this thread, I hold no assumptions about the essential properties of "God", except the idea that it is (supposedly) the greatest/most powerful being that exists.

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hold no assumptions about the essential properties of "God".
We Christians do. The question refers to the Christian God, whose essential properties have been altered and so no longer refers to the same person. I'm just trying to say it's unanswerable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
We Christians do. The question refers to the Christian God, whose essential properties have been altered and so no longer refers to the same person. I'm just trying to say it's unanswerable.
As I stated, it's a hypothetical change, in interpretation (of who "God" really is, as we perceive things in the mind).

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As I stated, it's a hypothetical change, in interpretation (of who "God" really is, as we perceive things in the mind).
A square circle can be hypothetical but it's still incomprehensible. I'm not the only one who can't make sense of the question.

Maybe what you mean to say is would we still commit to God even if His judgment will fall on us? Yes, we do that with the Lord's prayer, "Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done." I pray that regardless of my fate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
A square circle can be hypothetical but it's still incomprehensible. I'm not the only one who can't make sense of the question.

Maybe what you mean to say is would we still commit to God even if His judgment will fall on us? Yes, we do that with the Lord's prayer, "thy Kingdom come, thy will be done." I pray that regardless of my fate.
For the purposes of this thread, I hold no assumptions about the essential properties of "God", except the idea that it is (supposedly) the greatest/most powerful being that exists.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We worship Yahweh alone, who has essential properties. We do not, and would not worship this god because that would not be Yahweh.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
We worship Yahweh alone, who has essential properties. We do not, and would not worship this god with no essential properties because that would not be Yahweh.
Even within Christianity, there are various factions with different ideas about Yahweh/Jehovah/YHWH/Adonai/Elohim/etc.

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Even within Christianity, there are various factions with different ideas about Yahweh/Jehovah/YHWH/Adonai/Elohim/etc.
Those are different transliterations, pre vowel forms, reverence titles, and categorical terms. I don't know what that has to do with this.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Those are different transliterations, pre vowel forms, reverence titles, and categorical terms. I don't know what that has to do with this.
I was pointing out that different groups within Christianity have different ideas about the "essential properties" of Yahweh, not to mention different ideas about what his name/titles/terms should be.

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was pointing out that different groups within Christianity have different ideas about the "essential properties" of Yahweh, not to mention different ideas about what his name/titles/terms should be.
It doesn't matter. Ask it to a Mormon and it still won't make sense because it is logically incoherent. A thing must have it's essential properties, otherwise it's not that thing.

Upvote 0