If God never offered eternal life, would you still serve him?

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I had this thought and I'm curious on the opinions of people. If God never offered salvation or eternal life and instead left you in your sins and you had to one day endure sins eternal punishment would you 1. Still love God? and 2. Still serve him?

Don't feel bad if your answer is no. The same fate is being forced upon Lucifer and 1/3rd of the angels and i can see why people would not want to serve a God that isnt merciful but is instead "all judgement" but, i think my answer would still be yes. Mainly because, I don't deserve eternal life whether God leaves me in my sins or not the fact of the matter is, I've sinned against God and God has every right to punish me. I cannot help loving God and loving to serve him just as much as I cannot help breathing. But, I'm curious is it the same for others? Again don't be ashamed if your answer is no it's the response I'm sure even God would expect and maybe that's why God chose mercy. I'm mostly just curious if other Christians would still love God no matter what.

May 2, 2022
Gilberdyke
✟9,644.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,
really good question, I would probably say no, because if you were going to die anyway without receiving a spiritual afterlife, I don't think it would matter, and the evolutionist's will just push Darwin's theory here and everyone would just exist for the time here on earth, and God would probably have no judgment to give and we would just exist like all the other creatures in the world. what I mean by no judgment is, if there was no reward of a spiritual afterlife heaven/hell we would just be left to live and die a mortal life in our sin, and with no afterlife, we would just die knowing there is a God but never being able to be with him, if that makes sense. God Bless, just my theory.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I had this thought and I'm curious on the opinions of people. If God never offered salvation or eternal life and instead left you in your sins and you had to one day endure sins eternal punishment would you 1. Still love God? and 2. Still serve him?

Don't feel bad if your answer is no. The same fate is being forced upon Lucifer and 1/3rd of the angels and i can see why people would not want to serve a God that isnt merciful but is instead "all judgement" but, i think my answer would still be yes. Mainly because, I don't deserve eternal life whether God leaves me in my sins or not the fact of the matter is, I've sinned against God and God has every right to punish me. I cannot help loving God and loving to serve him just as much as I cannot help breathing. But, I'm curious is it the same for others? Again don't be ashamed if your answer is no it's the response I'm sure even God would expect and maybe that's why God chose mercy. I'm mostly just curious if other Christians would still love God no matter what.
God gives rewards day by day. That is why people should try to serve with Christ.

Mark 9:40 (WEB) For whoever is not against us is for us. 41 If anyone gives you even a cup of water because you bear the name of Christ, truly I tell you, he will never lose his reward.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

If your question is really: Is the final destination the issue, or is there a better reason to serve and love God? then I would say there is a much better reason. Knowing God, and knowing that he is pleased with what he has made (from our POV, 'what he will complete') that we will see when we see him as he is, far outweighs the mere fact of escaping hell.

When I was a young man with a family, I always thought that if one of them was not to be saved, I would gladly trade places with them, to know they would be safe from perdition. I still feel that way about many of my friends, and even plead with God about it, though I know his ways are above mine. But, of course, I realize that if I was damned, there is no way I would love God once judged and my sins shown to still be mine.

As a Biblical fact, nobody will be in the Lake of Fire who truly loves God, no matter what fondness or admiration they might feel for him now.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I would not be sad if I didn't last, if my life worked against what is good, and true, and beautiful. To me, whether I have everlasting life only matters if I am part of what is good. If I were evil and brought destruction into the created order, and continued to do so forever, I wouldn't want to be that. I don't think God will forever allow that because destruction, by its nature, has a necessary end. I want to live, but I want to live as I was created to live. I want goodness, and beauty, and truth to be forever, and I want to participate in that. I think at the very core of our being, that is what we all want.

Reactions: VMaeLove
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
The problem is that God created us to have eternal life; we would be a different being and God would be a different God without it. Our existence would be ultimately meaningless and purposeless.
Created whom to have eternal life? Be specific what you mean by "God created us to have eternal life." —Do you mean, the human animal is designed to become something else, or do you mean, some of us are created with that eventual end in mind, or all of us are, etc etc.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
If your question is really: Is the final destination the issue, or is there a better reason to serve and love God? then I would say there is a much better reason. Knowing God, and knowing that he is pleased with what he has made (from our POV, 'what he will complete') that we will see when we see him as he is, far outweighs the mere fact of escaping hell.

When I was a young man with a family, I always thought that if one of them was not to be saved, I would gladly trade places with them, to know they would be safe from perdition. I still feel that way about many of my friends, and even plead with God about it, though I know his ways are above mine. But, of course, I realize that if I was damned, there is no way I would love God once judged and my sins shown to still be mine.

As a Biblical fact, nobody will be in the Lake of Fire who truly loves God, no matter what fondness or admiration they might feel for him now.

No my question was basically if God didn't choose mercy but instead chose Judgement would that change your view of him? Like, say humanity was chosen for punishment there was no promise made to Abraham so no chosen people of God and all thats on TV and in Church is a message of justice and about how one day we will be judged and punished by God and if that is what the Bible teaches instead of the gospel message . That's what I mean, I know the exact opposite is true this is just purely speculation.

This should still change people's views on God and how we serve him because I believe the Bible teaches various degrees of judgement based on the sins people commit. If we lived a completely wicked life we would be punished more than someone that at least tried to serve God even though our righteousness are as filthy rags. It's true that humanity is totally depraved but, there has to be various degrees of punishment in the lake of fire if God were to be a just God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I would not be sad if I didn't last, if my life worked against what is good, and true, and beautiful. To me, whether I have everlasting life only matters if I am part of what is good. If I were evil and brought destruction into the created order, and continued to do so forever, I wouldn't want to be that. I don't think God will forever allow that because destruction, by its nature, has a necessary end. I want to live, but I want to live as I was created to live. I want goodness, and beauty, and truth to be forever, and I want to participate in that. I think at the very core of our being, that is what we all want.

Right that's a good point. Eternity with God is a good thing but it is something we don't deserve. But whether I got what I deserved or whether I didn't I still would love and worship God. Admittedly I love God and his grace more than the alternative. The fact that God did show mercy makes me love God a lot more but that love would not disappear if I had to endure punishment.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Created whom to have eternal life? Be specific what you mean by "God created us to have eternal life." —Do you mean, the human animal is designed to become something else, or do you mean, some of us are created with that eventual end in mind, or all of us are, etc etc.
What needs to be understood is that God created everything with its own purpose. To the extent that we fulfill that purpose, we're doing His will. When it comes to sentient, rational beings with free will that fufillment is optional.

Man's purpose or telos is to exist in direct union with God in a relationship of love, becoming increasingly like Him, to begin here in this life but fully consummated only in the next. Those who will attain that purpose are the elect. That's what we can know. The church ruled out a strict predeteminism regarding this matter centuries ago.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟802,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

That would not be the God I serve, God is a charitable giver, giving me everything possible.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟277,769.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If it meant he would be "with me," I would.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi.. what you ask is a lie. He did offer salvation. What we here do not understand is this thought in heaven would never be a thought so why think it here? Again its a lie so why play with it? I would never listen to that offer since it was not GOD that offered.

Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
No my question was basically if God didn't choose mercy but instead chose Judgement would that change your view of him? Like, say humanity was chosen for punishment there was no promise made to Abraham so no chosen people of God and all thats on TV and in Church is a message of justice and about how one day we will be judged and punished by God and if that is what the Bible teaches instead of the gospel message . That's what I mean, I know the exact opposite is true this is just purely speculation.

This should still change people's views on God and how we serve him because I believe the Bible teaches various degrees of judgement based on the sins people commit. If we lived a completely wicked life we would be punished more than someone that at least tried to serve God even though our righteousness are as filthy rags. It's true that humanity is totally depraved but, there has to be various degrees of punishment in the lake of fire if God were to be a just God.
To me, that is a self-contradictory scenario. But as one way it could not work: Salvation is by regeneration —i.e. if one is born again he is saved; if one is not born again of the Spirit of God, one does not love nor serve God. So if God did not choose elect upon whom to show mercy, there would be none born again, and only the sin nature would rule our desires and inclinations. We would still all be at enmity with God.

• Agree
Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
What needs to be understood is that God created everything with its own purpose. To the extent that we fulfill that purpose, we're doing His will. When it comes to sentient, rational beings with free will that fufillment is optional.

Man's purpose or telos is to exist in direct union with God in a relationship of love, becoming increasingly like Himself, to begin here in this life but fully consummated only in the next. Those who will attain that purpose are the elect. That's what we can know. The church ruled out a strict predeteminism regarding this matter centuries ago.
So you insist on determination by chance.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

Tough question, and complicated answer.

What I loved was not the promise, but rather the personhood of Jesus. Who He is and what He did, the compassion, the forgiveness, the self sacrifice for us, that is what made me admire Him. But, the forgiveness and compassion and the self sacrifice is what leads to the salvation and promise of eternal life.. so it is to a degree irrevocably connected.

Without the compassion and forgiveness there is less to love about God as a person, and so less desire to serve Him or love Him. I can't love a glorious all powerful tyrant. Without the person of Jesus Christ.. I can't love God. I'd just wish I was never created... every single day. Now.. that said sometimes I do wish I wasn't created out of my own flaws and imperfections and feelings of worthlessness and wonder what's the point of me? But in this case, without the personhood of Christ, it's not that I wouldn't want to exist because of my own failings.. but because of the disappointing tyrant that created me and this whole world just to inflate his ego. I could not bear with such a "god".
In other religions, such as Islam, Allah declares himself creator, and proclaims himself glorious and transcendent, demands obedience and punishes sinners. To some, if you are "good enough" (works based salvation but you never know if you'll have enough goodboy points to receive mercy), you are given mercy, and in fact Allah offers everything you could humanly wish for, an afterlife of 72 wives, while you sit on a perfect plumped up cushion and the fruit trees just extend their branches out to your fingertips so you don't even have to move to get up to pluck succulent fruit to eat. Oh there's the promise of eternal life, the promise of all the sex and sweet food and human wish fulfillment you could desire!
But I can't love Allah, because Allah did not come down in human flesh. Allah didn't experience temptation as we all do, and overcome it. Allah didn't express the compassion and mercy and meekness of Christ. Allah didn't allow himself to be nailed to a cross and die, and in fact die for my sins in my place and take the wrath of God that I deserve.
and Allah didn't make it his plan to come back, and dwell among us on Earth, bringing heaven to Earth, forever and ever.

So, even if Allah is the true creator, and Jesus Christ was the imposter, then I guess I would go to hell, deservingly. I would spend eternity with Jesus, in hell, and still love Him, because He selflessly did, what Allah would never do, in spite of my utter worthlessness. Even if Allah had mercy on me, and I lived in Heaven forever and ever, surrounded by wives, after a lifetime on earth unmarried, something that I have always wanted (but just one, the way God intended, not 72), and every carnal pleasure I could desire... I'd still not love him, and still be inconsolably depressed, forever, because the man I admire most, is Jesus Christ.

Just to clarify, no I don't believe Allah is the true creator. I was making the point between Islam and Christianity, to make a compare and contrast. Both religions teach one God who created the universe, both teach that man fell into sin and the God who created them will judge them all for it. Both have an afterlife, and the possibility of an eternal life in paradise.

But one has a God who became flesh and died for our sins, and the other doesn't.
I believe the true God is one that so loved His own creation that He'd die for it to save it, and is the only way a god would be worth worshiping.

Last edited:
Upvote 0