If God doesn't care what I want, why should I care what he wants?

Questioning Brother

Apr 29, 2014
✟77,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Seriously, if he is going to hold back everything I ask him for, and shove down my throat EVERY SINGLE THING I beg him to keep out of my life, why should I care what he wants?

I don't care what the pain is for anymore. If it is for his glory, can't he take care of that himself without hurting me in the process? If it is to reach others, I don't care. If it is to show his power, again can't he do that without hurting me? He is omnipotent.

Far Side Of the Moon

" The moon is high& the stars are aligned" :)
Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I've felt this way many times, srsly look through my threads....I feel you have to just realize bad things just happen and God isn't doing it on purpose. If we didn't trust god was good most of us wouldn't like him very much.

Upvote 0

Far Side Of the Moon

" The moon is high& the stars are aligned" :)
Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Abiut 5 minutes in or so there is insight in how to cope with what life has thrown your way. <3
I love the bible project :)

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Seriously, if he is going to hold back everything I ask him for, and shove down my throat EVERY SINGLE THING I beg him to keep out of my life, why should I care what he wants?

I don't care what the pain is for anymore. If it is for his glory, can't he take care of that himself without hurting me in the process? If it is to reach others, I don't care. If it is to show his power, again can't he do that without hurting me? He is omnipotent.
Why do you think what you want is really what you want? We are told by corporations, misguided assumptions of what life should be, and errant pulpiteers what we should want and we often buy it hook, line and sinker without thinking through if this is really what we want. God knows both what you want and what you need. Also, many things are ascribed to God by the sovereignty of God crowd that are really demonic or actions of our or other's own free wills.

Lean not in your own understanding, but in all your ways trust in the Lord. Cast your cares upon the Lord for he cares for you. Do you not believe that He is wiser than you and cares more for you than you do? Walking with Christ means dying to self and trusting God in all your life. It means understanding that you have no rights since He is both your creator and redeemer, even though He gives us our rights to self. It means looking past this temporary life and keeping track of eternal life ahead. This is the mark of maturity, let God help you mature.

Upvote 0

ivanpetrov

May 27, 2017
Sofia
✟2,999.00
Country
Bulgaria
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God doesnt bring disaster, dont rule God.

God is indeed the One who rule the world and do all things:

Isaiah 45:7: I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
And he create evil and make disaster too.

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Now, what if He's thinking the same thing?
Not to say He is or He isn't, but what if He is?
Seems that it would tie your hands and His.
I'd go for the One that knows what will happen tomorrow and all the rest of your days. Pride comes before a fall, examine your heart and its motives, if you are willing to trust Him, then just do it and quit placing Him on the judgment seat of your heart. You don't even know if you will be alive tomorrow, but HE does, shouldn't you go with the One that holds your tomorrow?

e8cd06d031886b72aec8167bdda8edff.jpg

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

I don't care what the pain is for anymore. If it is for his glory, can't he take care of that himself without hurting me in the process? If it is to reach others, I don't care....
If you don't...then you don't, that's all.

Why are you running it by us if you are satisfied with your decision not to care? Do you think there are other reasons to care that you haven't thought of yet?

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe God gives us rules and laws to follow to prosper in every way imaginable, and then he sets us free to choose life or death....and tells us that we mind as well choose life:

DEU 30:19
"I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live"

It is our knowledge and adherence to these laws that determines our lives. What we blame on God is just a result of our misuse, or lack of knowledge of the laws. "My people perish for lack of knowledge" "Honour.......That you days may be long" " I AM the way" "I AM come that you might have life" etc..

It is not a coincidence that solomon became the richest man on earth After gaining Wisdom.

I would spend time learning the laws in the bible and the examples of how to pray.

Psalms 84:11
"For the Lord God is a sun and shield: the Lord will give grace and glory: no goodthing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
This doesn't come across as very civilised. I can relate a little to feelings of annoyance when things don't turn out how I like them. But let's face it, we don't come across well to others when we are angry.
Seems like your attitude might be the problem. Lack of appreciation. Gotta thank God just for nice weather and little things like that. From my experience when we have a grateful attitude, our life starts to change for the better.

Upvote 0

The Brown Brink

Apr 9, 2017
Kentucky
✟20,029.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You have free will.
You must steer yourself.
Beg God all you want...
But you must steer yourself.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Ygrene Imref
Upvote 0

Cubits

Jun 5, 2017
XXX
✟15,950.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Lord cares deeply about you, you are the apple of His eye, the lover of your soul and He is very jealous for you to be completely His. He reproves us because He cares much more for us than anyone else. Every good father reproves their children out of LOVE. You would not be happy if you had a child and they decided to take drugs or to drink themselves to death. You would want the absolute best for your child, even if that meant that from time to time they would throw their toys out of the cot in a massive strop. As a parent because you have age and wisdom on your side, you ultimately would know what was best for your child but also you would be sympathetic to your child understanding that they would be too young to understand your ways. God is not angry with you and He wants the best life for you; that you would be a blessing to everyone that you meet. You might not feel like being a blessing to anyone right now but every single person on this website wants to be a blessing to you. We cannot have it both ways, to receive God's blessing but not to bless others. God's ultimate purpose is that you become more like Jesus. Wouldn't that be awesome to become more like Jesus Christ, wow. Yes He wants to teach you obedience but also He wants to make you stronger than IRON-MAN. So that nothing will be able to break you or hurt you. We ARE with you and there are millions of Christians going through what you are going through right now. We are all in this together, running the race together as ONE in JESUS. Sometimes we walk in the shadow of death but remember it is NOT death but only a shadow so that in the end WE SHALL FEAR NOTHING.

• Optimistic
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

He already heard every prayer in your past as well as your future prayers and answered them.
He is patiently waiting for you to get with the program.
We don't all get painless lives and we don't all get another two minutes.
If you're reading this, likely you've got at least one of those two.
Time has been handed to you.

• Optimistic
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

First, I think you are speaking very vaguely so I am not sure that we can help you with just an overall "He holds back EVERYTHING I ask for". That is pretty all encompassing.

It would help if you would describe one specific situation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rainrider

Jun 6, 2017
Lovington
✟16,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

All through the Word, we find stories akin to yours. Job, Paul, John, Peter, and the list goes on. The one thing we can take from them all is that not once do find they just quit. If one doesn't care about what HaShem wants from them, or for their life, why would we think He is bond in anyway to help us? Job was tested in ways we all pray we never are. Paul, and most of the disciples gave their lives. Do you think they really want that?
Joseph, a man we all know was greatly blessed by HaShem, ended up in prison for something he didn't do. Yet because he held strong to his faith, even there he prospered.
A short look at my own life. In 2001 I broke my back. Now I am fighting for disability. Even though I am forced to rely on others for the things I must have, I know that in the end, it is HaShems will. He has something to teach me out of this. I lived most of my life not wanting for anything. If I did want it, I just went and got it. I made around $100,000 a year, and now I make $0.00. I hold strong to my faith, and I do all I can for everyone around me. Even when I know it will mean I may spend the next week in so much pain I would rather not move. When my legs give out, and I hit the ground, I get up, and thank HaShem that I was able to.
Here is what I will pray for you. I will pray that you find in your heart the true meaning of Shalom. As it seems to be missing.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What you want so badly might not be good for you at all. You have to be very careful when you rebel against God like the way you do. Yes, God is merciful, slow to anger and abounding in love. But there is a limit. Remember the grumbling Israelites in the desert? He did not allow them to enter the promised land and many perished in the wilderness because of their rebellion and because they were not grateful for what God did for them and how mightily He rescued them from slavery and from the Egyptians.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟377,931.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If God is in charge and doesn't care about what you want, then logically the way to comfort is to align yourself with what he wants. You can't beat him, so you might as well join him.

This is of course, reducing God to the caricature you described him as. The real God is wise, loving, not spiteful, and righteous. I don't know enough about your circumstances to know if he really put all that pain you're talking about in your life, or if it came in due to the choices of yourself and others.

• Agree
Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0