If God asked you to kill someone from another group, would you?

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
(Feel free to move this if it should be in Ethics and Morality instead.)

Now before you say "God would never do that!" keep in mind that in the Old Testament, there were several times where God commanded entire cities to be destroyed and killed, including the infants. And disobedient children were sometimes stoned to death due to not following the Fourth Commandment (at least of the group commonly called the Ten Commandments. So as much as we may try to ignore it, if we go by the Bible there was a time when God commanded those things.

So even if you say God wouldn't do that now, it's clear he did at one point (and thus he could again since he's the same through time, right?). So, would you be willing to draw a heavy metal sword down upon the tiny body of an infant newborn if God commanded it? Even disregarding modern times, say if you lived in that time period and God asked you to do that, or stone disobedient children in your family or group. Would you do it?

Reactions: Jim Langston

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
(Feel free to move this if it should be in Ethics and Morality instead.)

Now before you say "God would never do that!" keep in mind that in the Old Testament, there were several times where God commanded entire cities to be destroyed and killed, including the infants. And disobedient children were sometimes stoned to death due to not following the Fourth Commandment (at least of the group commonly called the Ten Commandments. So as much as we may try to ignore it, if we go by the Bible there was a time when God commanded those things.

So even if you say God wouldn't do that now, it's clear he did at one point (and thus he could again since he's the same through time, right?). So, would you be willing to draw a heavy metal sword down upon the tiny body of an infant newborn if God commanded it? Even disregarding modern times, say if you lived in that time period and God asked you to do that, or stone disobedient children in your family or group. Would you do it?

This has been asked before............:confused:.....Crystal.

Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is an interesting question...

My immediate response is no, I couldn't bring myself to kill an innocent because God told me to. But how many soldiers have gone and fought a war because their government told them to? So then the question would be do we trust in the government more than God? I think I would have to know beyond the shadow of a doubt that it was God telling me to do it...and even then, it would have to be someone deserving of death...not a child, I could never harm a child.

Upvote 0

Poppyseed78

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think people are capable of a lot of things, even atrocities. War has shown us that. It's hard to be able to know how one would act in a certain situation without having experienced it. The story of Kitty Genovese shows us that people are more indifferent than we would like to believe. On the other hand, there are some selfless people who help others even at their own risk. There is both light and dark in human nature.

Upvote 0

Dawnhammer

Mar 5, 2017
Denmark
✟23,474.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So how is anyone justifying being Christian and still disobeying God if He actually asked you to shoot someone ? And if you really believe God to be omnipotent, wise and perfect what the difference would it make if He asked you to shoot children, your wife, your dog or anything else?

Upvote 0

Jim Langston

Non denominational fundamentalist
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2005
Bellingham, WA
✟79,514.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would like to say yes, but no seems more rightous, but God is God and is my Lord. I do not wish to be presented with this dilema, and unless it's self defense or defending the weak I don't wish to hurt anyone. I am told in the bible to defend myself, though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dawnhammer

Mar 5, 2017
Denmark
✟23,474.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can I be honest? I support our troops, but I could never kill for even government. I'm glad I wasn't put in such a situation, because I would turn the gun on myself.

Bit of hubris there. As you say you were never in that situation and are only speculating from a position of safety.

Being in a courtyard and having choice of being in a firing squad or being target of the firing squad might bring about some new depths of what one would be willing to do to see the next sunset.

Upvote 0

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Bit of hubris there. As you say you were never in that situation and are only speculating from a position of safety.

Being in a courtyard and having choice of being in a firing squad or being target of the firing squad might bring about some new depths of what one would be willing to do to see the next sunset.

I just feel like in order to kill someone for the government, you must at least try to agree with their motives. What if one doesn't agree? Is it really that chicken to just turn the gun on themselves?

Upvote 0

GeorgeJ

<Insert Custom Title Here>
Jul 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟70,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
What if one doesn't agree?
That's known as "conscientious objection". There have been many conscientious objectors that have served in the U.S military in non-combatant roles.....medic, for example....

Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I just feel like in order to kill someone for the government, you must at least try to agree with their motives. What if one doesn't agree? Is it really that chicken to just turn the gun on themselves?
I think we can look at many of the Vietnam War veterans for that answer...so many didn't understand why they were there, they saw it as a pointless war...and years later many still suffer from the effects...I use Vietnam as the example and not Iraq/Afghanistan, because during that period most men were drafted...nowadays they have a choice to join or not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dawnhammer

Mar 5, 2017
Denmark
✟23,474.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In combat most people don't kill because they necessarily agree with their government. They kill so they and their brothers in arms can survive the fight.
Survival instinct is not that easily overcame.

"Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

-Dylan Thomas

Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
In combat most people don't kill because they necessarily agree with their government. They kill so they and their brothers in arms can survive the fight.
Survival instinct is not that easily overcame.

"Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

-Dylan Thomas
True...but when the smoke clears and you're left with your thoughts you have to question why, and this has driven many mad.

Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well God no longer asked people to do that and also says murder is a sin. So won't have to worry about it. If God "did" ask me I'd probably just go admit myself to a psychiatric ward since I know God wouldn't ask me to do that.

Upvote 0