If evolution is true, we don't have problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And we can't change them as evolution is an painfully slow, unconscious, unseen, process. Attempting to address what we conceive of as 'problems' has never been effective in the grand sense, and our condition worsens as every day passes. And evolution is too slow anyway. We don't have time to evolve our way out of our problems, therefore what we conceive of as problems aren't really problems, just facts of life. :(

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟239,727.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
And we can't change them as evolution is an painfully slow, unconscious, unseen, process. Attempting to address what we conceive of as 'problems' has never been effective in the grand sense, and our condition worsens as every day passes. And evolution is too slow anyway. We don't have time to evolve our way out of our problems, therefore what we conceive of as problems aren't really problems, just facts of life. :(
That's silly. Evolution has nothing to do with how we, or any organism addresses it's problems of the moment, except that evolution has presented it with the tools with which to attempt problem solution. Thus evolution does not help solve present day problems - and it is silly to criticise it for failing to do so - but our evolved abilities are often well suited to solving those problems. The fact that you have lived for a number of decades is testament to that.

and our condition worsens as every day passes.
That seems to be contradicted by the progressive reduction in global poverty despite an increasing population.
It is contradicted by the elimination of long standing diseases and our ability to find solutions to the pandemic in the space of a year.
It is contradicted by the available solutions for global warming that lack only acceptance and political will to implement.

Edited typos.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's silly. Evolution has nothing to do with how we, or any organism addresses it's problems of the moment, except that evolution has presented it with the tools with which to attempt problem solution. Thus evolution does not help solve present day problems - and it is silly criticise if for failing to do so - but our evolved abilities are often well suited to solving those problems. The fact that you have lived for a number of decades is testament to that.

That seems to be contradicted by the progressive reduction in global poverty despite an increasing population.
It is contradicted by the elimination of long standing diseases and our ability to find solutions to the pandemic in the space of a year.
It is contradicted by the available solutions for global warming that lack only acceptance and political will to implement.

You make my point. Evolution, of the mind and will, hasn't kept up with the problems we create. Irresponsible Covid response by the public is a good example. Of course it could be reckoned as evolutionary population control, and as such is a solution, not a problem.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
If gravity is true, we don't have planes.

I mean... things fall down. There is no possibility that technology could be used to make heavier-than-air craft go up.

What is with this bizarre defeatism?

Evolution gave us an appendix. Entirely separate from all things evolutionary, medicine has given us a way to deal with it if it goes wonky. Evolution being a fact has no particular bearing on our problems or our ability to address them.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟923,991.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
This would only be true if the only way out of our problems was species wide genetic change... that isn't, so it's not a problem.

• Agree
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,677.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Evolution=observed phenomena (i.e. fact)

The theory of evolution=explains how it works.

Your headline is ignorant.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well it isn't true, its a pack of lies by the evil one.
God created us in perfection.
Man fell and became sinful and corrupted the world.
Jesus came to die to save us from that sin condition
At the end, the world will be remade back to perfection that cannot be corrupted.
So ends the circle. It is a circle of hope not disrepair. It is the Gospel.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟239,727.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Evolution, of the mind and will, hasn't kept up with the problems we create.
We didn't create the Covid problem, but we have found solutions within a year of its appearance. And I'll grant you that it took four years to get rid of Trump, which was a self made problem, but that problem is now solved. Intransigent ignorance seems somewhat trickier, but we'll sort that one also.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
A thought that is exclusively based on the idea that evolution is somehow meant - or useful - for solving "problems"... of whatever kind.

That idea is simply false... which should be obvious with just a minuscule amount of rational thought.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This would only be true if the only way out of our problems was species wide genetic change... that isn't, so it's not a problem.

Isn't problem solving a matter of will and intellect? If so it's an evolutionary shortcoming.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟923,991.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Isn't problem solving a matter of will and intellect? If so it's an evolutionary shortcoming.
... but we have problem supplying ability.

Humans are intelligent, creative and adaptive. We could be better at all these things and nicer to boot, but we have what we need to succeed. What we are missing is the cultural pressures to do the right thing. Biologically we are pretty good.

Reactions: pitabread
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We didn't create the Covid problem, but we have found solutions within a year of its appearance. And I'll grant you that it took four years to get rid of Trump, which was a self made problem, but that problem is now solved. Intransigent ignorance seems somewhat trickier, but we'll sort that one also.

You are more optimistic than I am.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A thought that is exclusively based on the idea that evolution is somehow meant - or useful - for solving "problems"... of whatever kind.

That idea is simply false... which should be obvious with just a minuscule amount of rational thought.

It was a tongue-in-cheek thought. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
... but we have problem supplying ability.

Humans are intelligent, creative and adaptive. We could be better at all these things and nicer to boot, but we have what we need to succeed. What we are missing is the cultural pressures to do the right thing. Biologically we are pretty good.

Where would this 'cultural pressure' come from?

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟923,991.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Where would this 'cultural pressure' come from?
The world around us? Same as it always has.

Culture constantly changes and diverges based on new ideas and situations, not genetics.

• Agree
Reactions: pitabread
Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
What we are missing is the cultural pressures to do the right thing.

Worth noting that some cultures are more equipped for handling the pandemic than others. It seems to be the West's more individualistic emphasis where there are problems. Plus, of course, gaps in education and trust in governance leading to situations like the U.S.

Reactions: Strathos
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The world around us? Same as it always has.

Culture constantly changes and diverges based on new ideas and situations, not genetics.

I think culture lags behind changes in technology (I still don't own a smartphone).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Which is why you should probably be posting it in the Apologetics forum and not the science one.

Not a part of the rules, so I will keep posting for Christianity, for scripture, for truth. You don't have to read them. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.