If creationist is true, why is God's world so cruel?

Taylor Lee

Oppinionated Self-Acclaimed Apologist
Aug 17, 2011
✟15,144.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Does evil exist?

The university professor challenged his students with this question. Did God create everything that exists? A student bravely replied, "Yes, he did!"

"God created everything? The professor asked.

"Yes sir", the student replied.

The professor answered, "If God created everything, then God created evil since evil exists, and according to the principal that our works define who we are then God is evil". The student became quiet before such an answer. The professor was quite pleased with himself and boasted to the students that he had proven once more that the Christian faith was a myth.

Another student raised his hand and said, "Can I ask you a question professor?"

"Of course", replied the professor.

The student stood up and asked, "Professor, does cold exist?"

"What kind of question is this? Of course it exists. Have you never been cold?" The students snickered at the young man's question.

The young man replied, "In fact sir, cold does not exist. According to the laws of physics, what we consider cold is in reality the absence of heat. Every body or object is susceptible to study when it has or transmits energy, and heat is what makes a body or matter have or transmit energy. Absolute zero (-460 degrees F) is the total absence of heat; all matter becomes inert and incapable of reaction at that temperature. Cold does not exist. We have created this word to describe how we feel if we have no heat."

The student continued, "Professor, does darkness exist?"

The professor responded, "Of course it does."

The student replied, "Once again you are wrong sir, darkness does not exist either. Darkness is in reality the absence of light. Light we can study, but not darkness. In fact we can use Newton's prism to break white light into many colors and study the various wavelengths of each color. You cannot measure darkness. A simple ray of light can break into a world of darkness and illuminate it. How can you know how dark a certain space is? You measure the amount of light present. Isn't this correct? Darkness is a term used by man to describe what happens when there is no light present."

Finally the young man asked the professor, "Sir, does evil exist?"

Now uncertain, the professor responded, "Of course as I have already said. We see it every day. It is in the daily example of man's inhumanity to man. It is in the multitude of crime and violence everywhere in the world. These manifestations are nothing else but evil."

To this the student replied, "Evil does not exist sir, or at least it does not exist unto itself. Evil is simply the absence of God. It is just like darkness and cold, a word that man has created to describe the absence of God. God did not create evil. Evil is not like faith, or love that exist just as does light and heat. Evil is the result of what happens when man does not have God's love present in his heart. It's like the cold that comes when there is no heat or the darkness that comes when there is no light."

Reactions: Chriliman
Upvote 0

Gettothepoint

Aug 19, 2011
✟15,127.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Not sure if I can concur with all that Taylor Lee. Surely we could then say heat is the absence of cold. Instant absolute zero would have an immediate effect on substances.

Darkness must also exist, as Genesis 1:5 implies that God created it by the fact that he give it a name at the same time he gave light a name.

Re; evil: You say that evil is the absense of God: But God is everywhere, so by definition he cannot be absent from anywhere !

God himself claimed in Isaiah 45:7 KJV, that he DID created evil.

My original question was: If God created the world, why is there so much cruelty in nature: Animals eating each other etc. Tom

Upvote 0

Mr Dave

God Save The Queen!
Apr 2, 2010
Sheffield
✟25,710.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Mod-Hat On

images

This thread has been moved by staff to Exploring Christianity.

Mod-Hat Off

Upvote 0

Brenda Morgan

Jul 30, 2011
✟7,920.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
If creationist is true, why is God's world so cruel?

You have raised an excellent question about creationism.

Here is something that troubles me about creationism. Here is a quote from wikipedia. Extinction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"" Most extinctions have occurred naturally, without human intervention: it is estimated that 99.9% of all species that have ever existed are now extinct.""

Since God made all the animals, why did he allow 99.9% of all animals to go into extinction?

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Because often the young are left to suffer and die in misery. I thought it would be obvious. Some animals, like foxes will kill for the sake of killing. Can anyone address the question?

Cruelty is a matter of perspective. to deem something cruel is to make a judgment. If God does not deem something cruel then the judgment made that Identifies a process or person as cruel is a judgment derived from a righteousness out side of God's. Which makes that judgment personal or based in a self righteousness.

Your appeal to my sense of self righteousness has fell on deaf ears so to speak. I asked why you believe these things to be cruel so as to illustrate the standard in which you judge God. (which I thought to be obvious.) This would allow one (who is seeking a better understanding of God) a perspective that would allow him to reconcile a "cruelty" that he does not yet understand.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mr Dave

God Save The Queen!
Apr 2, 2010
Sheffield
✟25,710.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Brenda, you have also raised an excellent point as to why 99.9% of all God's original creation is now extinct. I thought God made everything perfect! Lets hear the answers

I'm not a creationist, but Genesis doesn't say God made everything perfect. Everything is described as 'good' except for humans which are 'very good'.

Upvote 0

Gettothepoint

Aug 19, 2011
✟15,127.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
dricho150 cruelty is a matter of common sense and that is my judgement. I don't have to think of what some God, who may or may not have existed, thinks. If i go by God's word in the bible, then i see lots of cruelty. for example, a God who gets his followers to tie the tails of 300 foxes together and set fire to them in order to get his way, lacks credibility. So does a God who enjoys the smell of thousands of animals sacrificed to him.

Upvote 0

Taylor Lee

Oppinionated Self-Acclaimed Apologist
Aug 17, 2011
✟15,144.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
quick synopsis of the first two chapters of Genesis reveals that all of creation was vegetarian before the fall, and God did not give permission to man to eat flesh of any sort until Noah and his family left the ark. So with this in mind it is quite evident that animal eating animal or even man turning on themselves is a result of the fall. Cruelty and evil in the world is present, not because God is not somewhere, or that he doesnt care but merely that man has forsook God and has depended upon their own resoning for all aspects of life.

Upvote 0

Brenda Morgan

Jul 30, 2011
✟7,920.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I'm not a creationist, but Genesis doesn't say God made everything perfect. Everything is described as 'good' except for humans which are 'very good'.

Are you trying to convince us that God was a little "sloppy" about making animals and he didn't care if 99.9% of all the animal he created would go extinct?
Isn't that a waste of time and effort even for God?

Upvote 0

Mr Dave

God Save The Queen!
Apr 2, 2010
Sheffield
✟25,710.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Are you trying to convince us that God was a little "sloppy" about making animals and he didn't care if 99.9% of all the animal he created would go extinct?
Isn't that a waste of time and effort even for God?

Afraid I can't respond (http://www.christianforums.com/t7454511/) as Christians are not allowed to debate each other in Exploring Christianity. If the OP wishes to ask the same question I'll respond or you can get in touch with me elsewhere :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Brenda Morgan

Jul 30, 2011
✟7,920.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
dricho150 cruelty is a matter of common sense and that is my judgement. I don't have to think of what some God, who may or may not have existed, thinks. If i go by God's word in the bible, then i see lots of cruelty. for example, a God who gets his followers to tie the tails of 300 foxes together and set fire to them in order to get his way, lacks credibility. So does a God who enjoys the smell of thousands of animals sacrificed to him.

I've always been skeptical of that story in Judges chapter 15 where Samson ties 150 pairs of Foxes together with a torch between each pair to burn up fields of crops. A fox is a very vicious animal and very quick. I don't think this can be done without getting your fingers bitten off.

I have wondered why God loves the smell of Barbecue. I like the smell of meat on the grill but have you ever been near to a slaughter house. The smell is terrible. The barbecue smell is not worth having to smell the odors from animals being slaughtered.

Upvote 0

Brenda Morgan

Jul 30, 2011
✟7,920.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Afraid I can't respond (http://www.christianforums.com/t7454511/) as Christians are not allowed to debate each other in Exploring Christianity. If the OP wishes to ask the same question I'll respond or you can get in touch with me elsewhere :)

A debate is if someone makes an assertion and someone else disagrees.

My comment was two questions.
I see no reason why you can't answer a question.

Upvote 0

Brenda Morgan

Jul 30, 2011
✟7,920.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Cruelty is in this world because Satan is the prince of this world.

Is it cruel to burn someone in Hell for all Eternity because they didn't believe in Jesus?
I have heard some make this outrageous assertion that God will burn nonbelievers in Hell forever.
I don't believe it. But if it's true it's cruel IMO and God will have to take responsibility for his action.

Upvote 0