Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
In my atheistic moments, I have thoughts like this. Do you?
But look at all the people now in the past who have supposedly been "misled" by Christianity. Whole nations. Chesterton said, if Jesus didn't die for our sins, then Christianity is the biggest scam ever perpetrated.
History would have giant holes in it. Look at all those martyrs. Christian heroes. All for nought?
My life would be hollow if Christianity isn't true. Meaningless.
No, Christianity is not a hoax. That is why we need to wake up and repent daily.

Xeena

Site Supporter
May 10, 2017
North America
✟30,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
It has certainly proven unimaginably profitable, in terms of power and wealth, to those at the top.

(On a related note, I actually found greater peace and meaning in my life - after leaving Christianity. There was a ~5-year period of intense anxiety & turmoil which immediately began after I started entertaining doubts about Christianity; but, in the end, after cutting all my mental ties, I found that peace and meaning.)

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
On a related note, I actually found greater peace and meaning in my life - after leaving Christianity.
I can believe that. maybe you would've been more suited to the Christian monastic tradition of contemplative prayer. I think going to a mainstream Church doesn't suit everyone. You can meet the wrong people. I'm not a fan of emotionalism for example and using Praise language all the time. Christianity caters for all types. I'm just concerned you left for the wrong reasons.

• Friendly
Reactions: ananda
Upvote 0

jacknife

Theophobic troll
Oct 22, 2014
✟171,314.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
But look at all the people now in the past who have supposedly been "misled" by Christianity. Whole nations. Chesterton said, if Jesus didn't die for our sins, then Christianity is the biggest scam ever perpetrated.
History would have giant holes in it. Look at all those martyrs. Christian heroes. All for nought?
No, Christianity is not a hoax. That is why we need to wake up and repent daily.
You could probably use this same exact argument for any religion though, look at the Hindu heroes throughout the ages, look at the Buddhist throughout history. What makes this argument isn't unique to Christianity, (although i would like some clarification to what you mean by "hoax" in regards to Christianity.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
I can believe that. maybe you would've been more suited to the Christian monastic tradition of contemplative prayer. I think going to a mainstream Church doesn't suit everyone. You can meet the wrong people. I'm not a fan of emotionalism for example and using Praise language all the time. Christianity caters for all types. I'm just concerned you left for the wrong reasons.
Wrong reasons?

I'm aware of Christian contemplative prayer traditions ... I find them to be functionally equivalent to the preliminary Buddhist practices of Brahma-vihara, mindfulness, and the first jhana. They are certainly excellent goals to achieve by the beginner meditator, but they are not the most sublime, highest, or final goals according to Buddhism. (No offence meant).

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
It has certainly proven unimaginably profitable, in terms of power and wealth, to those at the top.

(On a related note, I actually found greater peace and meaning in my life - after leaving Christianity. There was a ~5-year period of intense anxiety & turmoil which immediately began after I started entertaining doubts about Christianity; but, in the end, after cutting all my mental ties, I found that peace and meaning.)

There's also the possibility that Satan no longer feels any need to tempt or give you trouble anymore because he has achieved his goal in separating you from Christ, so hence the peace.

It's unfortunate that there's been quite a lot of harm done in the name of Christianity too. False Christianity would also cause a lot of anxiety and turmoil.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
There's also the possibility that Satan no longer feels any need to tempt or give you trouble anymore because he has achieved his goal in separating you from Christ, so hence the peace.
It's a possibility, but I doubt it, as I cannot say I've ever had direct knowledge of or experience with a real intelligence named "Satan".

It's unfortunate that there's been quite a lot of harm done in the name of Christianity too. False Christianity would also cause a lot of anxiety and turmoil.
I believe my anxiety and turmoil came with the struggle against ingrained thoughts of blasphemy, denial of "the Lord", hell, etc.

Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Wrong reasons?

I'm aware of Christian contemplative prayer traditions ... I find them to be functionally equivalent to the preliminary Buddhist practices of Brahma-vihara, mindfulness, and the first jhana. They are certainly excellent goals to achieve by the beginner meditator, but they are not the most sublime, highest, or final goals according to Buddhism. (No offence meant).
If this was a Buddhist site, I might ask for more information. I think it is healthy to have awareness of other faiths and philosophies. Christians can get too fearful of thinking outside the Bible paradigm or their interpretation of it. We need to chill and realise there is at least some truth in other paths.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Something to think about. Jesus said "only few will find it".

But now we have nearly half of the world population as Christians. Christianity is majority religion in the world today, even way more than Muslims.

That is not few. You could keep guessing what happened why Christianity became the majority religion. In addition, you can ask yourself why Jesus said only few will find it and if what He said applies today. ;)

And Jesus would indeed turn away many (who claims to be Christians) in the day of judgement is in the Bible too.

All these correlates to one thing.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
They are certainly excellent goals to achieve by the beginner meditator, but they are not the most sublime, highest, or final goals according to Buddhism. (No offence meant).
No offence taken but it does sound a bit elitist.
Beginner Christians have just as much chance of reaching Heaven as veterans do.

Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I have generally found that the more elaborate and grandiose a conspiracy theory is, the less like it is to be true.

Christianity being a hoax would be the mother of all conspiracies.
But yet every other religion would have to be hoaxes if Christianity is the true parh...a lot of other conspiracies

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
If this was a Buddhist site, I might ask for more information. I think it is healthy to have awareness of other faiths and philosophies. Christians can get too fearful of thinking outside the Bible paradigm or their interpretation of it. We need to chill and realise there is at least some truth in other paths.
No offence taken but it does sound a bit elitist.
Beginner Christians have just as much chance of reaching Heaven as veterans do.
I see it this way: even if Christianity (in its details) is a hoax, if a Christian practices the generosity & loving-kindness as taught in the interpretation of modern day Christianity, then it is indeed a great gain (according to the Buddhist way).

Such a Christian would be considered a great Buddhist, and advance even beyond the majority of Buddhists, IMO.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
But yet every other religion would have to be hoaxes if Christianity is the true parh...a lot of other conspiracies

Not necessarily. Many of them are just heretical interpretations of Christianity.

Upvote 0