If atheism is true would you want to know?

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
What facts is what I asked.

The life sciences in particular. Many Christians on this forum seem either ignorant or dismissive of it. Probably because they perceive it as a threat to some of their cherished beliefs.

• Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Believe it or not, philosophers haven't always agreed to what constitutes the significance of the term "truth". It's been a lively debate throughout the history of philosophy. Is truth a correspondence to reality, is it based on coherence, or does it have something to do with pragmatic or eudaemonic considerations?

Then you are saying he doesn't agree with the dictionary definition and that's ok?

Fine, but again, not much of a philosopher in my view if he can't a least get that right. Pretty words are fine but they really need to make sense, but I do realize some don't have such stringent requirements.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Then you are saying he doesn't agree with the dictionary definition and that's ok?

Fine, but again, not much of a philosopher in my view if he can't a least get that right. Pretty words are fine but they really need to make sense, but I do realize some don't have such stringent requirements.

This is the typical Christian anti-intellectual rhetoric that is disgraceful. It's so Lilliputian. You tear down anyone that might be better than you and might have thought more about these things.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The life sciences in particular. Many Christians on this forum seem either ignorant or dismissive of it. Probably because they perceive it as a threat to some of their cherished beliefs.

OK, if you'd rather not answer, that's fine. I just figured since you said some Christians don't like to hear the cold hard facts, you must actually be aware of the cold hard facts Christians don't like to hear. :)

BTW, Life Science in itself is not what I'd call a "fact".

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is the typical Christian anti-intellectual rhetoric that is disgraceful. It's so Lilliputian. You tear down anyone that might be better than you and might have thought more about these things.

I didn't agree with you would be more like the problem here.

Sorry;)

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
OK, if you'd rather not answer, that's fine. I just figured since you said some Christians don't like to hear the cold hard facts, you must actually be aware of the cold hard facts Christians don't like to hear. :)

BTW, Life Science in itself is not what I'd call a "fact".

What "facts" are up for debate exactly? All I have argued with you in the past are Christian beliefs, which are ultimately just religious opinions. They are not objective facts about the world which are falsifiable/verifiable.

• Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Cats tend to get asymptomatic ringworm as they can carry the fungus on their fur without getting it. Us poor humans get ringworm. I guess I was fortunate and I never had a cat with ringworm.

• Informative
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I'm defining "atheism" very broadly to mean that even if a god exists we humans know nothing about that god.

So if "atheism" as defined above is true would you want to know?

In the extreme case, Atheism presents a negative proof fallacy.

For the less passionate, Atheism presents an argumentum ad ignorantiam.

For the dispassionate, they simply go through life, not knowing what they don't know.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
In the extreme case, Atheism presents a negative proof fallacy.

For the less passionate, Atheism presents an argumentum ad ignorantiam.

No, I don't think atheism is inherently fallacious.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
No, I don't think atheism is inherently fallacious.
You left one out; and in the process you presented a strawman argument.

For the dispassionate, they simply go through life, not knowing what they don't know.

I would call these folk Agnostics; but some Agnostics call themselves Atheists.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What "facts" are up for debate exactly? All I have argued with you in the past are Christian beliefs, which are ultimately just religious opinions. They are not objective facts about the world which are falsifiable/verifiable.

The cold hard facts you mentioned.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I think atheists stop religious people from becoming toxic or abusive. If you don’t believe a harmful dogma then others might start to question it.

I agree. Atheists are only the "badguys" if you insist on mindless conformity. Otherwise, I think its wiser to realize that not every religious attitudes suits everyone, and that some people genuinely do best with unbelief.

Upvote 0