If anyone wants to come after Me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow Me!

HenSoma-OneBody

Mar 4, 2019
Lawrenceville
✟122,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus was very clear that He demand's a full surrender of one's life (loses it in this world) to follow Him every day forevermore. He made it clear that this ultimate sacrifice was required for everyone who will be saved. He said, “If anyone wants to come after Me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow Me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it." Luke 9:23-24

Why do so many believe that just living a "Christian" life filled with going to a church, reading the bible, saying prayers, paying tithes & offerings, seeking to win souls, etc. measures up to what Jesus has told us is required for salvation?

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus was very clear that He demand's a full surrender of one's life (loses it in this world) to follow Him every day forevermore. He made it clear that this ultimate sacrifice was required for everyone who will be saved. He said, “If anyone wants to come after Me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow Me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it." Luke 9:23-24

Why do so many believe that just living a "Christian" life filled with going to a church, reading the bible, saying prayers, paying tithes & offerings, seeking to win souls, etc. measures up to what Jesus has told us is required for salvation?
You cannot save yourself. If Jesus saved you, you will reflect what he says in your lifestyle.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟606,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I see it more as a blessing of release than a sacrifice. As the old saying goes; Let go, let God. Jesus sets us free from the clutter and cares of this world. I don't have to care about the things of this world. I can push all that junk out of the way and focus on my blessed Lord. That's wonderful thing. I am unshackled.

Sorry, I was not clear with my question, "What or how do we actually gain salvation?"

Here's one view:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,949.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As I get older and closer to whatever can happen, I think I am learning that in order to be free of fear and anxiety we must accept anything in this life that we do not want as our crosses. What is your biggest fear? What do you dread? can you accept it as part of God's unfolding plan for you? Your cross?

I know I struggle with it. I usually pray hat my crosses be lifted from me.

Upvote 0

HenSoma-OneBody

Mar 4, 2019
Lawrenceville
✟122,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I see it more as a blessing of release than a sacrifice. As the old saying goes; Let go, let God. Jesus sets us free from the clutter and cares of this world. I don't have to care about the things of this world. I can push all that junk out of the way and focus on my blessed Lord. That's wonderful thing. I am unshackled.

Wow, how beautiful! When the Lord set's us free, truly set's us free, we are free indeed. To serve the kingdom of heaven as a humble servant is the most incredible and rewarding life one can live. However, most (the many) will seek some form of alternative (religious lifestyle) in hopes a loving God will let them into heaven in the end. They will be gravely disappointed when they hear the words from the Lord, "Depart from me, I never knew you!"

Reactions: Religiot
Upvote 0

HenSoma-OneBody

Mar 4, 2019
Lawrenceville
✟122,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Here's one view:

Thank you for sharing this. If one will not just believe in this message, but as Christ said, "Pick up their cross daily and follow me," then they will find salvation in the end. Being a believer is not the price, being a daily follower is the price we must pay to find salvation. The notion that just believing without letting go of our life in the world (repentance) is so very much like believing that a superstition can have an impact on one's life. We both know that this is not true, superstitions are psychological beliefs. Knowing Christ, and more importantly Him knowing you, is all that matters. He said "Come and follow me!" That is action showing one's faith is true. "So too, faith by itself, if it does not result in action, is dead." James 2:17

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟606,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for sharing this. If one will not just believe in this message, but as Christ said, "Pick up their cross daily and follow me," then they will find salvation in the end. Being a believer is not the price, being a daily follower is the price we must pay to find salvation. The notion that just believing without letting go of our life in the world (repentance) is so very much like believing that a superstition can have an impact on one's life. We both know that this is not true, superstitions are psychological beliefs. Knowing Christ, and more importantly Him knowing you, is all that matters. He said "Come and follow me!" That is action showing one's faith is true. "So too, faith by itself, if it does not result in action, is dead." James 2:17

I think you would find it hard to go through life without actions. Especially when you have supernatural help from the Holy Spirit.

As for what does pick up your cross mean? Here's an interesting view:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,971.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Because they are afraid to reject what the world made in man's image has taught them since birth. It is hard to accept that God sees us as a backwards product. It is harder for many to drop out and join His counter-culture.

Luke 16:15 And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.

James 1:27 Pure and undefiled religion before our God and Father is this: to care for orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

James 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

Mark 7: 7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. 8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do. 9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HenSoma-OneBody

Mar 4, 2019
Lawrenceville
✟122,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because they are afraid to reject what the world made in man's image has taught them since birth. It is hard to accept that God sees us as a backwards product. It is harder for many to drop out and join His counter-culture.
Amen! When Jesus asked His disciples to leave behind everything in this world to follow Him (these are the Called), He has made it very clear that only those with a true heart intention to repent (turn away from) the ways of this world to follow Him will find the kingdom of heaven (the Chosen).

Upvote 0

HenSoma-OneBody

Mar 4, 2019
Lawrenceville
✟122,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think you would find it hard to go through life without actions. Especially when you have supernatural help from the Holy Spirit.

As for what does pick up your cross mean? Here's an interesting view:

Thank you for sharing this message. Here is a short message my Brother in Christ from California posted this morning. This is a true message of LOVE and what it means to follow Christ daily: Love And Pray For Your Enemies - YouTube

Upvote 0

HenSoma-OneBody

Mar 4, 2019
Lawrenceville
✟122,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Amen! When Jesus asked His disciples to leave behind everything in this world to follow Him (these are the Called), He has made it very clear that only those with a true heart intention to repent (turn away from) the ways of this world to follow Him will find the kingdom of heaven (the Chosen).
Here is a short message my Brother in Christ from California posted this morning. This is a true message of LOVE and what it means to follow Christ daily: Love And Pray For Your Enemies - YouTube

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

So many believe that, because they prefer to do as they wish, and choose to fool themselves about their salvation.

However, not all, but in some cases that can work. They first fool themselves, yet they hang in there, and may slowly get better until one day they are no longer fooling themselves, they really are a dedicated Christian.

The shock of having to follow Christ in a way the OP mentions, is too much for some, but they still desire the prize, and to make the necessary changes. Sometimes "slowly but surely" works best.

Then there are those that just do it, as well as those who just refuse, and can't imagine themselves seriousely following Christ. Many flavors to the possible rd to salvation. It took a lot of time for me to finally get serious.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HenSoma-OneBody

Mar 4, 2019
Lawrenceville
✟122,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So many believe that, because they prefer to do as they wish, and choose to fool themselves about their salvation.

However, not all, but in some cases that can work. They first fool themselves, yet they hang in there, and may slowly get better until one day they are no longer fooling themselves, they really are a dedicated Christian.

The shock of having to follow Christ in a way the OP mentions, is too much for some, but they still desire the prize, and to make the necessary changes. Sometimes "slowly but surely" works best.

Then there are those that just do it, as well as those who just refuse, and can't imagine themselves seriousely following Christ. Many flavors to the possible rd to salvation. It took a lot of time for me to finally get serious.
If the Lord (the Bridegroom) was to return today, what would be the final destination of the souls you mentioned here (those who have surrendered, those who have not surrendered yet, and those who chose to not surrender)?

• Haha
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟838,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

How would you define a full surrender? What does that look like, according to you, if it's not the things you mentioned, e.g. going to church, reading the bible, etc.?

Upvote 0

HenSoma-OneBody

Mar 4, 2019
Lawrenceville
✟122,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How would you define a full surrender? What does that look like, according to you, if it's not the things you mentioned, e.g. going to church, reading the bible, etc.?
Jesus explained it best in the versus above, yet as for me in my walk with Christ, this is what the Holy Spirit asks of me each day to remain on the narrow path. I am a servant of the kingdom of heaven and my life is driven by the will of God each day. The Lord shares His will with me through the Advocate (the Holy Spirit) and as I yield myself to His will, I serve how He see's fit. It is always driven by LOVE, God is love, and we have only two commandments to obey. First, to put God first in all things each and every day. Second, to allow the Lord to love others through us unconditionally for His good purpose. Jesus declared, “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” Matthew 22:37-40

I follow Christ, and I have no agenda in my life that comes before His. This requires sacrifice and a full surrender of my own will; however, nothing can compare to being used by the Lord each day for His good purpose. Each day my life is filled with prayer, I read scripture, and fellowship with many others who are following Christ and not any of the modern day substitutes. I was once carried away by the snare of today's local church system with its many traditional practices, religious ceremonies, manmade doctrines, and more. I was blindly following all of this and never realized how far it was taking me from the narrow path. Once the Holy Spirit convicted my soul of this, I have repented of this world and all of its ways to follow Jesus instead. I have made the choice to follow Christ daily by taking up my cross and allowing Him to do His will through me. This is instead of me trying to live my life how I think He would want me to live.

That sums up how I would define a full surrender.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟838,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Jesus explained it best in the versus above, yet as for me in my walk with Christ, this is what the Holy Spirit asks of me each day to remain on the narrow path. I am a servant of the kingdom of heaven and my life is driven by the will of God each day. The Lord shares His will with me through the Advocate (the Holy Spirit) and as I yield myself to His will, I serve how He see's fit. It is always driven by LOVE, God is love, and we have only two commandments to obey. First, to put God first in all things each and every day. Second, to allow the Lord to love others through us unconditionally for His good purpose. Jesus declared, “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” Matthew 22:37-40

I follow Christ, and I have no agenda in my life that comes before His. This requires sacrifice and a full surrender of my own will; however, nothing can compare to being used by the Lord each day for His good purpose. Each day my life is filled with prayer, I read scripture, and fellowship with many others who are following Christ and not any of the modern day substitutes. I was once carried away by the snare of today's local church system with its many traditional practices, religious ceremonies, manmade doctrines, and more. I was blindly following all of this and never realized how far it was taking me from the narrow path. Once the Holy Spirit convicted my soul of this, I have repented of this world and all of its ways to follow Jesus instead. I have made the choice to follow Christ daily by taking up my cross and allowing Him to do His will through me, instead of me trying to live and do like I think He would want me to.

That sums up how I would define a full surrender.

Thank you, that's very clear and helpful. Do you think it's possible to give a full surrender, as you have described, and do those other things too? Or, are they mutually exclusive?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If the Lord (the Bridegroom) was to return today, what would be the final destination of the souls you mentioned here (those who have surrendered, those who have not surrendered yet, and those who chose to not surrender)?

Only the fully surrendered will make it.

Upvote 0