If any interpretation the Bible is okay, than there can be no right or wrong.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The nastiness and the closed mindedness are readily apparent in these forums. Not universal, but common. If you need examples of that, it would take some but I could find a few thousand for you if you really would like them.

But what I think you mean are examples of all of the opinions eviscerating truth. As just one example of this I could mention baptism, with a whopping range of opinion ranging from infant baptism to believer baptism to water baptism to spiritual baptism to sprinkling, pouring, immersion, baptismal regeneration, and forty other variations I have probably never heard of. People divide over these issues, call those who disagree heretics or heathens, and argue their favorite opinion. The Church Fathers would not be amused. But we are a long way away from them.

Upvote 0

creslaw

Site Supporter
Oct 20, 2015
✟171,835.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree. It is not God who chooses to separate us, it is us who read God's Word and choose to separate us.
I'm not at all sure you are agreeing with what I actually said. If you are saying separation is caused by the creation of artificial barriers such as denominations, then yes.

But my argument is that we all do not have the same potential for spiritual understanding, and that potential is determined by God, not us. We should strive to live up to our potential but not all have the same capacity to understand God's Word ... which I believe is presented in the Scriptures I referenced.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am separating God's desires from God's choices, since they are frequently different. I read your statement (repeated below) as not doing that. Scripture is clear that it is God's will that people be united in Christ, and even that we be one. Our ability to understand Scripture has nothing to do with God's overarching desire for humans. But he chose to give truth to us even though he knew it would separate us. It is in this sense that he chose to come to divide us, that is, the nature of sin is such that truth divides. But on its own truth unites; in fact there is only one truth: Jesus Christ. Being reborn in Christ accomplishes this although we only experience it according to our faith in Christ.

The Word of God is meant to separate people:
"Do you think I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I have come to divide people against each other!" (Luke 12:51, NIV)

Upvote 0

creslaw

Site Supporter
Oct 20, 2015
✟171,835.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am separating God's desires from God's choices, since they are frequently different. I read your statement (repeated below) as not doing that. Scripture is clear that it is God's will that people be united in Christ, and even that we be one. Our ability to understand Scripture has nothing to do with God's overarching desire for humans. But he chose to give truth to us even though he knew it would separate us. It is in this sense that he chose to come to divide us, that is, the nature of sin is such that truth divides. But on its own truth unites; in fact there is only one truth: Jesus Christ. Being reborn in Christ accomplishes this although we only experience it according to our faith in Christ.
From what you have said I would have to conclude that it is your sin that prevents you from perfectly understanding what the Bible says. I don't think that is true. We are limited by our individual capacity to understand, not a wilful disregard of the Truth.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You can't say that everyone has their own interpretation of the Bible and criticize Christians for anything. You can't use anything against the Pope or the Catholic Church, and you can't say anything's wrong with the Westboro Baptist Church telling us to pray for more dead soldiers. You can't speak against Christians who believe there is no Hell, and you can't speak against Christians who say there's no devil.

Think about it.
I don't know anybody who says that each person can have his own interpretation of the Bible AND THAT all the interpretations are equally correct.

Do you???

Upvote 0

Saintly Sinner

Aug 1, 2018
Richmond, VA
✟914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Historically, the biblical interpretations concerning morals and practice have never changed- schisms, such as between the Roman and Greek or Rome and half of Europe, were more theological than anything else.
The papacy was put into question as well as things such as free will and predestination- but very little of that has to do with Christian practice. The main problem with Christianity is that so many people are trying to reinterpret the Scriptures or try to vindicate sins today that have become accepted among society.
The work of the Devil; Revelation tells you that this world is not going to get better

Upvote 0