If any interpretation the Bible is okay, than there can be no right or wrong.

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
You can't say that everyone has their own interpretation of the Bible and criticize Christians for anything. You can't use anything against the Pope or the Catholic Church, and you can't say anything's wrong with the Westboro Baptist Church telling us to pray for more dead soldiers. You can't speak against Christians who believe there is no Hell, and you can't speak against Christians who say there's no devil.

Think about it.

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You can't say that everyone has their own interpretation of the Bible and criticize Christians for anything. You can't use anything against the Pope or the Catholic Church, and you can't say anything's wrong with the Westboro Baptist Church telling us to pray for more dead soldiers. You can't speak against Christians who believe there is no Hell, and you can't speak against Christians who say there's no devil.

Think about it.
Some versions of the Bible are just wrong. The Passion translation for one.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟193,956.00
Faith
Christian

Think about it.
I don't know anyone who says that all interpretations are correct. I'd like to meet that person. Obviously it's false. Like if two interpretations contradict each other, they can't both be correct.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,233,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Think about it.
No, no, no. Here is how it works. If you are Catholic, your interpretation is wrong. If you follow Sola Scriptura, your interpretation is right. EXCEPT in a disagreement with someone else following Sola Scriptura, in which case you are both right but only in your own minds.

But you are right actually. All of the interpretations have eviscerated truth and left only opinion and dispute and sometimes extraordinary nastiness and closed mindedness.

Upvote 0

Thedictator

Retired Coach, Now Missionary to the World
Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Think about it.

Who is saying that all interpretations of the Bible are correct? You need to look at your Pope, more than anyone he is running around saying " every one is Ok", well except the rich, and saying other religions that do not believe in Christ are all Ok.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

Think about it.

I don't know of any Christian church which teaches that any interpretation of the Bible is valid.

• Winner
Reactions: Athanasius377
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Take interpreting a Bible translation in context. (Learning Koine Greek is a good start to get away from Bible translation problems.) Understanding Scripture is not our chief goal. To know God himself is our chief goal. A person cannot interpret Scripture correctly without being obedient to God and being taught it by the Holy Spirit.

Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. (James 1:22, 1984 NIV) Also see vv. 23-25.

It is unwise to trust in one's own ability to study to understand God or the Word; rather, trust God to give you the understanding when he decides, regardless of what or how much you study. Your efforts will be rewarded if done with the right heart.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil. (Proverbs 3:5-7, 1984 NIV)

Jesus teaches slowly because we are so slow to learn. While we can seek to understand through our own efforts—which is good when done in humility and hope to receive from God—only God can put truth into a person's heart. God often does this through the experiences he gives us as we follow him. Having read, pondered, discussed something with experts does not grant this kind of understanding. We call that "book knowledge." It's like reading 50 books on what grief of losing a loved one is like. You can be full of book knowledge (which can be good) and can appear to have wisdom on the subject, but it is not the deepest kind of understanding that God gives. For that you would have to experience grief—probably for a long time so you can go through it with time enough to connect it to God's word and his Spirit, and pray, to process it all. To have wisdom about grief, one would have to experience it in many different ways. But I'm not putting down the value of knowledge, which is an attribute of God. But trusting it apart from God is self-righteousness.

Nor are you to be called ‘teacher,’ for you have one Teacher, the Christ.
(Matthew 23:10, 1984 NIV)

But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. (John 14:26, 1984 NIV)

In your service and obedience to God, when your desire to know the truth transcends your desire for personal benefit, you can expect the Lord to reveal truth in you (which is revealing Jesus in you). I'm not demeaning knowledge. A doctor can help all kinds of people without having had all of the diseases he treats. But if your goal is God himself, seek to truly know him (heart knowledge) according to the ways he has commanded.

Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.” (John 14:21, 1984 NIV)

Upvote 0

creslaw

Site Supporter
Oct 20, 2015
✟171,835.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Word of God is meant to separate people:
"Do you think I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I have come to divide people against each other!" (Luke 12:51, NIV)

Hold fast to what your conscience tells you is Truth ... it will not always be the same as what others believe, but it is what is meant for you to receive at the present time.

If you are sincere, and meant to receive it, God will lead you into all Truth:
"But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth." (John 16:13, NIV)

Tell others what God has shown you, but do not be surprised if they cannot accept it:
"I could not address you as people who live by the Spirit but as people who are still worldly—mere infants in Christ." (1 Corinthians 3:1-2).

"He replied, “Because the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them." (Matthew 13:11, NIV)

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: juvenissun
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus was speaking of the (known to him) effect of his coming, not God's desire. The Word was and is not meant to separate people; separation was the inevitable effect because we sin. If God wanted to separate people (Matthew 12:25), then he would not be trying to bring them all together in unity under one head (Ephesians 1:10).

“My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. (John 17:20-21, 1984 NIV)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Think about it.

Read about it.

What Does the Bible Say About Keeping Quiet? - OpenBible.info

20 Bible Verses about Be Still And Listen - OpenBible.info

100 Bible Verses about Judging Other People - OpenBible.info

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Shelob??
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,129,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Think about it.

....and it could just be that human beings have different perceptions, understandings, interpretations, and psychological variances that have emerged due to their developmental backgrounds ... so, they hold varying opinions/view points on just about everything in life. Gee-whiz, folks! From the way some Christians talk, one would almost think that God made a whole heap of clones rather than individual human beings.

In a sense, and hermeneutically speaking, everyone DOES have their own interpretation of the Bible, because each person has his/her own unique psychology and cultural setting in which they live. And I'm guessing (although I could be wrong) that this is one reason God wants us to love each other since we can't expect some kind of perfectly calibrated consistency among all Christians everywhere at all times. It's just part of being human.

Reactions: Greg J.
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Shelob??
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,129,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, no, no. Here is how it works. If you are Catholic, your interpretation is wrong. If you follow Sola Scriptura, your interpretation is right. EXCEPT in a disagreement with someone else following Sola Scriptura, in which case you are both right but only in your own minds.

But you are right actually. All of the interpretations have eviscerated truth and left only opinion and dispute and sometimes extraordinary nastiness and closed mindedness.

OR how about this? We each get a some things right, and we each get a little bit wrong, no matter WHO we are! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,233,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
OR how about this? We each get a some things right, and we each get a little bit wrong, no matter WHO we are! :rolleyes:
You are a rare bird.

• Haha
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
OR how about this? We each get some things right, and we each get a little bit wrong, no matter WHO we are! :rolleyes:
Except for me. I always getting everything right the first time. There were a few times I could swear I was wrong, but later I found out I was right.

If you believe this I have some prime real estate in the middle of the Everglades I would like to sell you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Shelob??
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,129,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Except for me. I always getting everything right the first time. There were a few times I could swear I was wrong, but later I found out I was right.

If you believe this I have some prime real estate in the middle of the Everglades I would like to sell you.

.... Oh, you know me! I'm always looking for new investments! :sorry: So, how much is an acre of marsh going for these days? :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Doug Melven
Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Think about it.

A Christian CAN interpret any Bible verse any way if it fits his understanding. However, this does not say the individual's interpretation is right. The mystery is, IF the Christian is a true Christian (depends on his understanding on many other verses), then the Holy Spirit WILL eventually tell him whether his interpretation is right or wrong.

After all, EVERY Christian is different, and the right or wrong is only judged by God "toward that person". It means, in a special case, God may tell that person it is right, but tells you it is wrong. And, BOTH are right in the eyes of God. Why? simple, because you and that person are TWO different persons. Both of you work for the glory of God.

Upvote 0

creslaw

Site Supporter
Oct 20, 2015
✟171,835.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus was speaking of the (known to him) effect of his coming, not God's desire. The Word was and is not meant to separate people; separation was the inevitable effect because we sin. If God wanted to separate people (Matthew 12:25), then he would not be trying to bring them all together in unity under one head (Ephesians 1:10).

“My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. (John 17:20-21, 1984 NIV)

Throughout the history of the Church, it has been God's Word that separates groups. Study the parable of the sower in Matthew chapter 13 and consider the effect of the "seed" which is the Word of God. Even when received into good ground the yield is not all the same (Matthew 13:23).

Paul understood that there were differences in the way in which his message was received and understood (1 Corinthians 3:1, Hebrews 5:14, Ephesians 4:14). The letter to the churches in Revelation 2 & 3 also indicates there are differences among people in what they can receive.

The parables of the ten virgins and the talents in Matthew 25 are understood in different ways but indicate that not all have the same potential to participate in the kingdom of God to the same extent.

There is a "unity of the faith" that God brings His people into and faith in the blood of Christ unites all believers (Ephesians 2:13).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Throughout the history of the Church, it has been God's Word that separates groups. Study the parable of the sower in Matthew chapter 13 and consider the effect of the "seed" which is the Word of God. Even when received into good ground the yield is not all the same (Matthew 13:23).

Paul understood that there were differences in the way in which his message was received and understood (1 Corinthians 3:1, Hebrews 5:14, Ephesians 4:14). The letter to the churches in Revelation 2 & 3 also indicates there are differences among people in what they can receive.

The parables of the ten virgins and the talents in Matthew 25 are understood in different ways but indicate that not all have the same potential to participate in the kingdom of God to the same extent.

There is a "unity of the faith" that God brings His people into and faith in the blood of Christ unites all believers (Ephesians 2:13).
I agree. It is not God who chooses to separate us, it is us who read God's Word and choose to separate us.

Upvote 0