if adam and eve had 2 sons....then they had wives..whered those women come from?

Vance

Contributor
Jul 16, 2003
✟23,260.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My guess would be from one of the other group of humans around at the time. :0)

This problem is as old as they come, and the Biblical literalists have yet to come up with a answer that is not as speculative and illogical as they try to claim evolution is. The other questions that go with it are "who was Cain afraid of" and "who lived in the city he built".

Some have developed convoluted plots involving lots of kids before Seth, long time periods before the curse, etc. The problem with these is that they do not follow the "plain reading" which is what the literalists usually insist that we do.

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Vance said:

This problem is as old as they come, and the Biblical literalists have yet to come up with a answer that is not as speculative and illogical as they try to claim evolution is. The other questions that go with it are "who was Cain afraid of" and "who lived in the city he built".

Some have developed convoluted plots involving lots of kids before Seth, long time periods before the curse, etc. The problem with these is that they do not follow the "plain reading" which is what the literalists usually insist that we do.

What is illogical about what I said?

Upvote 0

Vastavus

Man is free at the moment he wishes to be
Jan 12, 2005
South Eastern Michigan
✟9,259.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Interesting, and where in the name of Yaweh did they come from? :confused:

My Guess is that they evolved.

synthes.gif

REQUIRED NOTICE: This account meets the statutory and regulatory requirements of all U.S. state, county and municipal school boards and districts for works dealing with the origins of man and is warranted to be suitable for use as a teaching tool in accordance with the Guidlines for De Facto Ideological Uniformity of the American Textbook Publishers Association.

Reactions: meebs
Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
if adam and eve had 2 sons....then they had wives..whered those women come from?

This was before the law, and men were not yet fobad to have sex with their relatives. These days, we are forbiden, and our state is so devolved, if some did so, I think they have idiots for children, or deformed, or something. Back then men were closer to their original perfection still, and God designed it this way, to get man started. cheers

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Spaceman_Spiff

CthulhuAce
Oct 10, 2004
Scarberia
✟17,466.00
Faith
Atheist
dad said:
[/color][/size][/color][/size]
This was before the law, and men were not yet fobad to have sex with their relatives. These days, we are forbiden, and our state is so devolved, if some did so, I think they have idiots for children, or deformed, or something. Back then men were closer to their original perfection still, and God designed it this way, to get man started. cheers

But Where'd the wives come from?

Upvote 0

Spaceman_Spiff

CthulhuAce
Oct 10, 2004
Scarberia
✟17,466.00
Faith
Atheist
dad said:
Adam and Eve had lots of sons and daughters, and they had lots, etc, etc.

Sounds kinky.

Sooo.. if god knows all and therefore knew incest would be bad in the future, why didn't he just create enough people to not have to commit incest in the first place?

I'll also note that in the bible I have here. Adam was formed, Eve was formed, Cain and Abel were born, cain killed abel, cain was banished, cain took a wife ...THEN there was mention of adam and eve's other children.

Question again is where did Cain's wife come from? please be specific.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sounds kinky.

Sooo.. if god knows all and therefore knew incest would be bad in the future, why didn't he just create enough people to not have to commit incest in the first place?

I'll also note that in the bible I have here. Adam was formed, Eve was formed, Cain and Abel were born, cain killed abel, cain was banished, cain took a wife ...THEN there was mention of adam and eve's other children.
Why did He do it the way He did? Well, we'll have to ask Him someday. But at that time there was nothing at all wrong with it, it was actually the first commandment, 'be fruitful, and multiply'. No sin at all.
Now I've heard this before, and I think it comes from a common misconception. That Adam and Eve never had children in the Garden. I think they had plenty. They must have. That's where people's husband's and wive's came from. And they continued after they got the booted out. I used to be surprised when I heard Jesus had brother's and sisters, some of which are mentioned in the bible. Why? Because in this case also not much is written, like children in the garden, but it's pretty obvious when someone points it out.
I know there are a few points where some people would interpret some things differently, but that's my understanding.

Upvote 0

Novaknight1

Oct 20, 2004
✟1,087.00
Faith
Protestant
joyinchrist said:
Anyone know?

From Adam. Now, back then, they didn't have a choice and there were no deformed chromosomes. That's why it was all right back then. Now, we have deformed chromosomes because of random mutations. I admit, in a limited environment, a mutation MAY be beneficial. For instance, resistance to pesticides APPEARS to be a beneficial mutation. However, it is caused by forbidding information to cross the cell wall. This means that it really HURTS. It doesn't help as much as it hurts. Besides, any mutation has limits. There's a mutation that helps your bones get harder. Will it ever let you fall head-first off Mount Everest (the laziest mountain, by the way), and survive?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Spaceman_Spiff

CthulhuAce
Oct 10, 2004
Scarberia
✟17,466.00
Faith
Atheist
dad said:
Why did He do it the way He did? Well, we'll have to ask Him someday. But at that time there was nothing at all wrong with it, it was actually the first commandment, 'be fruitful, and multiply'. No sin at all.
Now I've heard this before, and I think it comes from a common misconception. That Adam and Eve never had children in the Garden. I think they had plenty. They must have. That's where people's husband's and wive's came from. And they continued after they got the booted out. I used to be surprised when I heard Jesus had brother's and sisters, some of which are mentioned in the bible. Why? Because in this case also not much is written, like children in the garden, but it's pretty obvious when someone points it out.
I know there are a few points where some people would interpret some things differently, but that's my understanding.

Let me say what I think is wrong with this. I keep hearing 'I think'.

'I think it comes from a common misconception'
'I think they had plenty. They must have'

Must have? Are you doubting the Direct word of God?

There's no mention of Adam and Eve having children in the garden of eden. Is the bible wrong? No it can't be as it's the 'breathed word of God'...so it must be your interpretation.

i

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Novaknight1 said:
You're forgetting 1 verse. After he begat Seth, Adam lived 800 years and had SONS AND DAUGHTERS.

If the daughters were born after Seth was born, they hadn't even been conceived yet when Cain took a wife.

So where did his wife come from?

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There's no mention of Adam and Eve having children in the garden of eden. Is the bible wrong? No it can't be as it's the 'breathed word of God'...so it must be your interpretation.
They had lots of sex, and were under orders with perfect bodies to have children. My interpretation? I'd say it is pretty elementary. Probably why a lot of church teaching has it some other way is many of them seem to be hung up on sex as being bad. Of course they had kids there, I'd say, and since the bible does not say otherwise, and mentions elsewhere that the kids were indeed around, it is not rocket science.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
joyinchrist said:
Anyone know?

Cain went to the land of Nod to the East of the land of Eden, so he must have taken a wife from there. We only read about 8 generations from Cain. Seth could have gotten his wife the same way Adam got Eve. The Bible makes a clear distinction between the sons of God and the daughters of men. I do not see how Seth could have taken a wife from the daughters of men and still had Godly children. Where ever Seth got his wife, it had to have been the wife that God wanted and God picked for him.

Genesis 6:4
There were giants on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown.

Even the Greeks talk about people who were half God and half men. Hercules for example was said to be a half God, half mortal.

Upvote 0