• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

if a Christian commit suicide, do they lose their salvation?

Discussion in 'Requests for Christian Advice' started by TravelerFarAwayFromHome, Mar 18, 2014.

1. TravelerFarAwayFromHome

TravelerFarAwayFromHome Broken but loved

+318
    Non-Denom
    Single
    if not, they would still be punished by God, but what kind punishment would it be?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Billy Bayou

Billy Bayou Newbie

+8
    Protestant
    Married
    I don't believe that a truly saved person can lose their salvation for anything. The only unforgivable sin is blaspheming the holy spirit, which, no truly saved person would ever do. It's not something you do by accident. It's a conscious act.

People who resort to taking their own life are in a state of mind that is not sane. As a result, you have to ask yourself if they are responsible for their actions at that time.

Many who have attempted suicide have been treated and moved on to very productive lives.

Christians are not punished for their sins, we are seen pure as the whitest garment as we are washed in Christ's blood. However, we will be tried by fire and many will be found lacking. This, to me, means that a person who is saved but just by having one foot in the door so to speak would have no rewards but they will have eternal life. Where as someone like Billy Graham, for lack of a better example, would have crowns and rewards for his fruits here on earth. Someone like Paul Bundy, who apparently accepted Christ before his execution, will have no reward other than salvation from eternal spiritual death.

3. Willie T

Willie T St. Petersburg Vineyard

+1,760
    Christian
    Married
    Punishment. An interesting fascination we have with it.

Can you list the verses where Jesus said He came to punish us?

That's all.............

4. Willie T

+1,760
    Christian
    Married
    Was that, "Ted" Bundy?

5. Billy Bayou

Billy Bayou Newbie

+8
    Protestant
    Married
    Ya , sorry, it's early...

6. Willie T

+1,760
    Christian
    Married
    Well, Paul Bunyan kind of trips us up in there. They sound too much alike.

7. Autumnleaf

Autumnleaf Legend

+949
    Charismatic
    Married
    They'd probably be condemned with depression during their life before the suicide. Just a guess.

8. South Bound

South Bound I stand with Israel.

+967
    Christian
    Married
    Simply put, no. A born again believer cannot lose his salvation. And, before a Catholic says a born again believer can surrender or willingly give up his salvation, no, the Bible is very clear that a born again believer cannot surrender or willingly give up his salvation. Salvation is of God, not of man. Man doesn't earn it and man can't lose it.

As for punishment, no, a born again believer is not punished for his sin. This includes the mythical land of "Purgatory". There is no such place. The Bible tells us that Jesus already took our punishment on the cross and paid the debt brought on by our sin in full.

9. Billy Bayou

Billy Bayou Newbie

+8
    Protestant
    Married
    Well, actually, I was mixing up Ted Bundy and Paul Bernardo, our most monstrous Canadian cereal killer who worked with a female accomplice Karla Holmoka. He will never get out, she on the other hand, is free as a bird as the result of the worst plea bargain deal ever.

10. Christian Soldier 777

Christian Soldier 777 Sinner, saved by Grace!!

+11
    Christian
    Married
    Well said. I couldn't agree more†††

11. Inkachu

Inkachu Bursting with fruit flavor!

+3,726
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    No.

12. Armistead14

Armistead14 Newbie

+49
    Baptist
    Married
    That use to be an old fundy teaching for sure. However, most that commit suicide do so out of mental or physical illness. I worked in a group of people that suffer from RSD, which is terribly painful, also called the suicide disease because so many take their lives in stage 3. I' ve known several that have done so, including a baptist minister.

In the late 80's in Africa I knew of converted tribes where mothers would kill their children and selves before brutal Muslims came in to capture and convert the kids and make them war for Islam.

13. Inkachu

+3,726
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    I'd never heard of RSD, but I just looked it up, and it sounds awful. My heart goes out to any and all who've dealt with such a thing.

Anyone who has seen or heard of the "Machine Gun Preacher" (true story, also a movie) might be familiar with this. I remember watching the movie, seeing a scene where the guerrillas come in and murder almost everyone outright, but they pick whatever boys look strong and sturdy, and then force them to shoot their own mothers on site. I remember the mother looking into her little boys' eyes, and nodding silently, with tears flowing down, telling her son it was OK to do it, because she wanted him to live. I couldn't help thinking, I hope I wouldn't have done that, I would hope I'd be strong enough to fight back and hope that my child and I died together, rather than be separated like that, knowing he would be drug off and turned into a murderer himself.

I also remember stories of people killing themselves during the Holocaust, if they were about to be taken captive, or already had been. I can't say I'd blame them one bit. They knew they were bound for torture, rape, and death anyway. In a situation like that, I'm not sure you can plant labels like "right" or "wrong" on peoples' decisions. Or what about the people in the Twin Towers on 9-11 who jumped to their deaths rather than be burned to death? Is that considered suicide, when death is just moments away anyway? I suppose so.

14. boogalaboogala

boogalaboogala Guest

+0

what does your comment here have to do with the topic..?

15. boogalaboogala

boogalaboogala Guest

+0

i cannot believe that the same God who called each of us to salvation in Jesus Christ, is one day going to punish again any sin that His precious Son already paid for on the cross at calvary. that would not be in keeping with the justice that we have come to expect from the Most High..
    i would like to add that for a christian to kill themself, would be contrary to the new nature of a christian.. once saved we are to rest in His peace.. we are filled with His joy.. we take on a spirit of humility, and servitude..
    the person that commits suicide is actually acting out of selfish motives. quite possibly a measure of arrogance, and strife.. they are not about sharing in the sufferings of the body of Christ(the saints).. they are more about themself.. not caring about the hurt, guilt , and unanswered questions that they leave others to deal with, and sort thru..
    nope, there is no doubt that these are extremely selfish individuals, that are not in the least Christ centered or oriented..
    i believe that they would certainly stand the judgement , as they could not possibly know the Lord of grace..

16. Willie T

+1,760
    Christian
    Married
    A reply just dripping with grace. :thumbsup:

17. iambren

iambren Newbie

+147
    Nazarene
    Single
    US-Republican
    Last week I did some research on suicide and I believe it said that 90% of suicides are related to depression. Depression is when the chemicals serotonin, norepinephrine,and dopamine are diseased at the synaptic junction that makes dysfunctional thoughts/behavior. It is a disease! It is pain (like the burning 9-11 jumpers).

Cancer is when host cells attack each other,tissue becomes dysfunctional and the person ultimately dies. It is a disease!

So why do some Christians condemn the suicidal? And WHAT is this punishment idea? Was not Christ's substitutional work on the cross sufficient? What a slap in the face of God!

No,for most people there is an innate "will to live". It takes some pretty heavy-duty suffering to overcome that. Some people for whatever reason reach their breaking point and sadly take their life to SURVIVE! Hard to grasp that,hopefully because your free of the disease.

18. Inkachu

+3,726
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    You put that really well, Iambren. As someone who dealt with suicidal thoughts and self-injury as a teen, you and I both know, if you haven't been there, you can't understand it.

19. znr

znr Report THIS. Supporter

+54
    Reformed
    Private
    No.

But it will hurt people's hearts and affect their lives in a horrible way. It's better to think twice, and reach out for help.