ON
✟32,481.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I need Christians who are sharp in having read the Bible. I would like to know if I'm committing idolatry, having something that is against God. In the Bible, I once read that you are not to covet in your house a carved image (or something like that). Well, I wonder if I have things in my house that I shouldn't have: I have carved images from buddism, and one of them is a gift my sister and I gave to my mom when I was a kid/teenager and my sister was a teenager. I also have a Chinese calendar with its horoscopes which I'm willing to get rid of if it is against God. My mom has a metal image of her horoscope that her boyfriend in the past bought her and it is expensive. A friend of my mom made a dragon image, which represents the greatest luck if you're born in the year of the dragon. I have an image in my house, it has jade on it and it says something about luck and it's hanging in front of when we open our door. I'm ok with the carved images from buddism because it looks like it's made from marble and that feels relaxing but I can do without them too, don't really like them, the way it looks. I'm ok with the children monks carved image we got for our mom but I can do without them too. I don't like the metal image of my mom's horoscope so I can do without it. I really like the dragon because I know it represents luck so it gives a good feeling and it also looks beautiful but I don't see it as a God but am wondering if liking the image and how it makes me feel good as I know what it represents is considered worshipping it but I do not see it as a god but only as an object with a good representation, I see Lord Jesus as God and I am willing to get rid of it if it is against God. The hanging object with jade on it and that says something about luck, I would've felt fine w/ it had I not read the scripture about God not liking us to covet in our house carved images, but I am willing to get rid of it if it is against God. I also have a metal fridge magnet with a strong-looking eagle carved out that says Iceland underneath it and I really like the strong-looking eagle but I am willing to get rid of it if it is against God. I also have a simple angel magnet my sister bought me and I like it but I think that isn't against God?
I also have angel objects which look like it's made from the Catholic religion that involves Jesus Christ even though the Catholic religion might have something wrong with it so I am willing to get rid of it too and every object, carved image made of stone, metal, or even gold which I don't have or made of anything else that is against God but I will have a problem with it as these things don't belong to me so I cannot just get rid of them, God has to help me by convincing the owner that they must get rid of it if it is the case so I need prayer if that's the case. What do you all know? What is the right thing to do? Does it say anywhere in the bible about not having things of the occult? I would also like to know if in that Scripture I recollect reading is simply not to covet in your house any carved image or did it also say in addition to the effect of if you see it as a God or as above God or as long as it's a form of a God. Thank you so much!
(edited)

Last edited:

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
When the Lord delivered me I got rid of everything related to religious beliefs and practices that weren't Christian or Jewish. Books, images, and other items were tossed out. I didn't want any references to the occult or other teachings. I don't regret it. A little leaven leavens the loaf. That's my perspective. :)

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I once read that you are not to covet in your house a carved image (or something like that).

May I suggest that you start reading or using audio Bible and become ' sharp in the bible' yourself.

As people who have accepted Jesus as there Lord and Saviour all our behaviour is to be shaped by he Bible.

You will find omespeople will say throw them out, others will say you can have objects of art in he house.

Only you can, having read the bible, determine whether those items are an offence to God or not.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I need Christians who are sharp in having read the Bible. I would like to know if I'm committing idolatry, having something that is against God. In the Bible, I once read that you are not to covet in your house a carved image (or something like that). Well, I wonder if I have things in my house that I shouldn't have: I have carved images from buddism, and one of them is a gift my sister and I gave to my mom when I was a kid/teenager and my sister was a teenager. I also have a Chinese calendar with its horoscopes which I'm willing to get rid of if it is against God. My mom has a metal image of her horoscope that her boyfriend in the past bought her and it is expensive. A friend of my mom made a dragon image, which represents the greatest luck if you're born in the year of the dragon. I have an image in my house, it has jade on it and it says something about luck and it's hanging in front of when we open our door. I'm ok with the carved images from buddism because it looks like it's made from marble and that feels relaxing but I can do without them too, don't really like them, the way it looks. I'm ok with the children monks carved image we got for our mom but I can do without them too. I don't like the metal image of my mom's horoscope so I can do without it. I really like the dragon because I know it represents luck so it gives a good feeling and it also looks beautiful but I don't see it as a God but am wondering if liking the image and how it makes me feel good as I know what it represents is considered worshipping it but I do not see it as a god but only as an object with a good representation, I see Lord Jesus as God and I am willing to get rid of it if it is against God. The hanging object with jade on it and that says something about luck, I would've felt fine w/ it had I not read the scripture about God not liking us to covet in our house carved images, but I am willing to get rid of it if it is against God. What do you all know? What is the right thing to do? Thank you so much!
Art can be nostalgic and make you feel good, and it's just art. But if you believe that it will bring you luck, that is, affect your real world, then it's best to get rid of it, as it is replacing God as your source of blessing at that point. Unless, of course, you are able to change that belief by declaring God as your source of blessing. The point is, art should be limited to the realm of feelings, but the realm of beliefs should be completely subjected to God.
TD:)

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I wouldn't have any carved objects that are linked to idol worship or occult in my home. Art is fine if it isn't an object which was created for or has been used in idol worship or the occult.

Upvote 0

thelord's_pearl

Dec 5, 2018
ON
✟32,481.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I edited my 1st post
Do you worship these artifacts or believe in the powers that supposedly are attached to them? If not, then forget about it; they're curios, decorations.
To answer your question, I might really like it and I don't know if that's considered worshipping it but I know that I don't believe it is a God. I believe in Lord Jesus as my God. I am willing to get rid of them all and the ones I like I will feel unhappy about it so I'm not sure if that's a kind of attachment. i.e. I like the dragon and I'm not sure if it's true that you're the luckiest if you're born in the year of the dragon so that can be seen as not ruling out the luck/power of being born in the year of the dragon, but I don't see it as a God.
May I suggest that you start reading or using audio Bible and become ' sharp in the bible' yourself.

As people who have accepted Jesus as there Lord and Saviour all our behaviour is to be shaped by he Bible.

You will find omespeople will say throw them out, others will say you can have objects of art in he house.

Only you can, having read the bible, determine whether those items are an offence to God or not.
To reply, I am on a medication that causes me to have a lack of motivation so I have not read the bible sharply yet. Thanks for the helpful replies and I look forward to having clarity on this, thanks.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
To answer your question, I might really like it and I don't know if that's considered worshipping it but I know that I don't believe it is a God. I believe in Lord Jesus as my God.
I am willing to get rid of them all and the ones I like I will feel unhappy about it so I'm not sure if that's a kind of attachment. i.e. I like the dragon and I'm not sure if it's true that you're the luckiest if you're born in the year of the dragon so that can be seen as not ruling out the luck/power of being born in the year of the dragon, but I don't see it as a God.
It's hard for us to give a precise answer to this because we don't know exactly how you feel about these things. However, you do give hints in what you described that you might think of them as actually having certain powers that are beyond the normal. So that might make them something more than just decorations and keepsakes.

We know that you don't consider them to be God. And we know that you don't worship them or use them as votives. But if you have a lot of them, and they occupy an important place in your living room or wherever, and especially if you do think of any of them as maybe having the ability to change your luck or something like that, you might reconsider.

If they were on the order of a rabbit's foot which people keep on a keychain and say it's supposed to bring good luck, but they know that it really doesn't do that, then I'd consider it nothing to worry about.

I think only you can decide, but even innocent items, not just these we are talking about, can become unhealthy distractions.

Upvote 0

thelord's_pearl

Dec 5, 2018
ON
✟32,481.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I edited post #1 again at the very end and it's final so I would like a response to that one question also, thanks a lot. No I don't think of any of those things as having the power to change my luck. To be clear I just don't know if it's true that you're the luckiest if you're born in the year of the dragon, I see it as something that could be true, does that matter? And I like the dragon I have in my house and although I would be unhappy about getting rid of it, I can handle it.

Like there's also the belief that where you're born will affect how you look, or that people born in certain areas look better than people born in other areas and that could be true! (generally but with the exception that beauty is in the eye of the beholder). Some people in China or Vietnam have big eyes and some have small eyes, etc

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TexFire316

Come as a child, with no agenda
Jan 31, 2017
Conroe, Texas
Visit site
✟29,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I need Christians who are sharp in having read the Bible. I would like to know if I'm committing idolatry, having something that is against God. Thank you so much!
(edited)
You already know the answer to this, you are merely wanting someone to pat you on the shoulder and tell you that this is all Old Testament stuff, with no place in the modern day. That will not come from me. The One that made you is giving you a warning. The Father has no image that we can see, and we are banned from displaying ANY image as a form of worship, even if the worship is directed to Him. He said NO!
The best practice is absolutely no images. But especially any likeness to anything that anybody ever tried to worship is banned from being in our homes.
I will not tell you where it is at in the Bible, you must search for it. That is how we learn. And along the way as you search for that clarification, God will also teach you from the things that you 'stumble across' in your search for this answer.
Good luck.

• Winner
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

thelord's_pearl

Dec 5, 2018
ON
✟32,481.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You already know the answer to this, you are merely wanting someone to pat you on the shoulder and tell you that this is all Old Testament stuff, with no place in the modern day. That will not come from me. The One that made you is giving you a warning. The Father has no image that we can see, and we are banned from displaying ANY image as a form of worship, even if the worship is directed to Him. He said NO!
The best practice is absolutely no images. But especially any likeness to anything that anybody ever tried to worship is banned from being in our homes.
I will not tell you where it is at in the Bible, you must search for it. That is how we learn. And along the way as you search for that clarification, God will also teach you from the things that you 'stumble across' in your search for this answer.
Good luck.
No I have a recollection of reading what I wrote from a video I watched that is Christian, but I am not familiar with it so that's why I posted this thread to be very clear of the answer. I have written why I have not read the bible sharply yet. I don't know if you read it, if you did then you did not talk in grace. u wish me good luck yet did not provide with grace. I could be wrong in how I see where you are wrong and if I am, you or others can tell me your point of view. I will pray about this and you should too. I did try to search for the answer. God is graceful and merciful and blessed are the merciful, and to those who are like God, having grace.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

thelord's_pearl

Dec 5, 2018
ON
✟32,481.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wonder why no one replied anymore to this thread. I don't think it's a popular thread topic, perhaps other Christians are not familiar with this topic either, but I would like to say that I think God doesn't want us to have carved image of the budda religion or of any carved image that is like a God and is claimed to have power like luck but I'm not sure if the dragon I have is an issue since it is not a God but in its heritage, it does claim to have luck in it in that if you're born in that year you're the luckiest so it is some kind of divination if that's the word or of the occult. Is God against the occult? Do any of you have the answer to this post? Thanks a lot!

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I wonder why no one replied anymore to this thread. I don't think it's a popular thread topic, perhaps other Christians are not familiar with this topic either, but I would like to say that I think God doesn't want us to have carved image of the budda religion or of any carved image that is like a God and is claimed to have power like luck but I'm not sure if the dragon I have is an issue since it is not a God but in its heritage, it does claim to have luck in it in that if you're born in that year you're the luckiest so it is some kind of divination if that's the word or of the occult. Is God against the occult? Do any of you have the answer to this post? Thanks a lot!
Your question depends on you. Do you believe that having the dragon brings you luck?

Upvote 0

GTW27

Aug 31, 2007
Western Pa
✟203,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Yes it would be wise for you to remove them, all of them. I think you will be able to feel the difference. It will feel lighter. Put these words to the test. The enemy only needs a crack, so close the door.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

thelord's_pearl

Dec 5, 2018
ON
✟32,481.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your question depends on you. Do you believe that having the dragon brings you luck?
I am not born in the year of the dragon so therefore I'm not the luckiest according to the Chinese heritage, if that's true or not. Could it be that this Chinese heritage or idea is from God also, just like the idea I put out there in post #9 on the idea of how where you're born can affect how you look? Thanks a lot!

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am not born in the year of the dragon so therefore I'm not the luckiest according to the Chinese heritage, if that's true or not. Could it be that this Chinese heritage or idea is from God also, just like the idea I put out there in post #9 on the idea of how where you're born can affect how you look? Thanks a lot!
No, I don't believe the Chinese zodiac or any other idea regarding astrology is from God. And the reason why where you're born affects how you look has to do with heritage, not location. With the same parents, you'll look the same no matter where you're born.

Upvote 0

thelord's_pearl

Dec 5, 2018
ON
✟32,481.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, I don't believe the Chinese zodiac or any other idea regarding astrology is from God. And the reason why where you're born affects how you look has to do with heritage, not location. With the same parents, you'll look the same no matter where you're born.
Thanks for your thoughts and thanks a lot for the info! However, I've had a friend who is Chinese but her parents lived in Vietnam and she did have a Vietnamese look in her but not her parents so I am still confused but I will pray about it and thanks if there will be more helpful replies

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks for your thoughts and thanks a lot for the info! However, I've had a friend who is Chinese but her parents lived in Vietnam and she did have a Vietnamese look in her but not her parents so I am still confused but I will pray about it and thanks if there will be more helpful replies
Jumping to conclusions about something seen is a good way to fall into urban legends. (Please forgive me if I seem sarcastic, I don't mean to be). Just because we see something doesn't mean we can draw a conclusion about how it happened. There are so many factors we don't know about in such situations like that. To conclude that it was because she was born in a certain location is speculative at best. I have a sister who was born in Bolivia, but she looks all American. If location determined how a person looked, then there would be a much higher percentage of people who looked like a different nationality than their parents, among immigrants and those visiting other countries. IOW, children born in Nebraska of Mexican parents would look gringo, not Mexican. I just don't see that happening. Is it possible that your friend only looks somewhat Vietnamese because of the way she dresses, does her hair, and other things like that which are learned from the Vietnamese culture?

Upvote 0

thelord's_pearl

Dec 5, 2018
ON
✟32,481.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jumping to conclusions about something seen is a good way to fall into urban legends. (Please forgive me if I seem sarcastic, I don't mean to be). Just because we see something doesn't mean we can draw a conclusion about how it happened. There are so many factors we don't know about in such situations like that. To conclude that it was because she was born in a certain location is speculative at best. I have a sister who was born in Bolivia, but she looks all American. If location determined how a person looked, then there would be a much higher percentage of people who looked like a different nationality than their parents, among immigrants and those visiting other countries. IOW, children born in Nebraska of Mexican parents would look gringo, not Mexican. I just don't see that happening. Is it possible that your friend only looks somewhat Vietnamese because of the way she dresses, does her hair, and other things like that which are learned from the Vietnamese culture?
Thanks for your thoughts in reply to what I said. No I meant she had a Vietnamese look in her just by the way she looked.

Upvote 0