• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

Idolization

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by hungrytiger, Jul 25, 2012.

1. hungrytiger

hungrytiger I don't know what I'm talking about.

+50
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I've been reading The Ascetic of Love about Mother Gavrilia and enjoying it very much. I was wondering if y'all had any thoughts or quotes or links or things about what Mother Gavrilia (G.G. in the quote) is talking about in this passage here. It was in the section of the book called "Mother, give us a word" and was under the heading "Idolization." Thoughts and things about either the giving or receiving end of this would be quite welcome. Thanks.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. servantofGodNicholas

servantofGodNicholas Newbie

+8
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I love it, it is great!

3. ProScribe

ProScribe Well-Known Member

+192
    Non-Denom
    Single
    As a Christian if you're self-conscious of the idol then "God" would know about it

4. Dorothea

Dorothea One of God's handmaidens

+2,482
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Divorced
    US-Others
    First off, I LOVE HER BOOK! It's one of the best books on Orthodox spirituality and such that I've ever read. She made a rather large impact on my way of seeing the world and people and everything. LOVE IT! I'm glad you're reading it. I hope it is nourishing your soul as much as it did mine!

I believe she's talking about making a person basically a god, and replacing them with God, wherein, they are, if you will, obsessed with the person. And this can and does happen with parents and their children, where they think they're children are the best and they give them everything and forget about the discipline part of parenting and such, which is truly love, in a good way...when the discipline is done in a loving manner, and the child has a structured upbringing, obviously. We can do this with anybody, including our spouses. IOW, anything or anybody that we put above God is an idol.

What this does to the person spoiled all their lives, is they don't learn selflessness, self-sacrifice for others, and thinking of others in a compassionate manner. And then her last example is also true. Unrealistic expectations of people, and this happens all the time, especially with newly weds. lol I was there once. It is our doing if we have put unrealistic expectations on the person.

5. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+16,928
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    awesome quote. her book is one of those that has been on my must read list. thanks for posting!