hungrytiger

I don't know what I'm talking about.
Feb 2, 2006
✟1,421.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've been reading The Ascetic of Love about Mother Gavrilia and enjoying it very much. I was wondering if y'all had any thoughts or quotes or links or things about what Mother Gavrilia (G.G. in the quote) is talking about in this passage here. It was in the section of the book called "Mother, give us a word" and was under the heading "Idolization." Thoughts and things about either the giving or receiving end of this would be quite welcome. Thanks.

G.G.: It is impossible to please a person who has been "spoiled" by too much love. This is the root of the problem. The love we have towards another person should never reach the point of idolatry. The limit where love ends and idolatry begins is something that many persons fail to discern. We are, for example, parents of a child and we love it to the point of adoration. Then this child takes the place of God. I have seen it happen many times. The child becomes a small idol and, for its sake, we forget God... Someone felt this way for his child. God took the child. The loss was awful! The devotion too was frighting... Great caution is required.
X.: Mother, what is to be done when we love a person, a friend, a companion, and one day we find out that he is not what we thought him to be. As if a mask fell off...
G.G.: It is not like that. It is not the other person's fault, but ours. Because we love an ideal and want the other one to personify it. We admire him whereas he does not deserve admiration. After knowing him better though, comes the wear and tear of familiarity. Then, one day, he falls off the pedestal on which we had placed him and we... get angry at him! Yet, in principle, he is not to be blamed for our own disappointment. The fault is ours; for we put him up on the pedestal with our imagination. We turned him into an idol; we admired him; and then we brought him down... While he was, is and will be whatever he is!

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've been reading The Ascetic of Love about Mother Gavrilia and enjoying it very much. I was wondering if y'all had any thoughts or quotes or links or things about what Mother Gavrilia (G.G. in the quote) is talking about in this passage here. It was in the section of the book called "Mother, give us a word" and was under the heading "Idolization." Thoughts and things about either the giving or receiving end of this would be quite welcome. Thanks.
First off, I LOVE HER BOOK! It's one of the best books on Orthodox spirituality and such that I've ever read. She made a rather large impact on my way of seeing the world and people and everything. LOVE IT! I'm glad you're reading it. I hope it is nourishing your soul as much as it did mine!

I believe she's talking about making a person basically a god, and replacing them with God, wherein, they are, if you will, obsessed with the person. And this can and does happen with parents and their children, where they think they're children are the best and they give them everything and forget about the discipline part of parenting and such, which is truly love, in a good way...when the discipline is done in a loving manner, and the child has a structured upbringing, obviously. We can do this with anybody, including our spouses. IOW, anything or anybody that we put above God is an idol.

What this does to the person spoiled all their lives, is they don't learn selflessness, self-sacrifice for others, and thinking of others in a compassionate manner. And then her last example is also true. Unrealistic expectations of people, and this happens all the time, especially with newly weds. lol I was there once. It is our doing if we have put unrealistic expectations on the person.

Upvote 0