Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I was praising God and then this thought came to my mind.
“You weren’t really saying that about God, you were saying that about someone else.”
I brushed it off and kept my Worship. Then it came back and started questioning if this thought was true. Then I started worrying about it.
Now I’m scared if I do indeed have an idol of someone, or an idol of fearing an idol. (Yes, the second one is kind of ridiculous.) please help!

Last edited:

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,652.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was praising God and then this thought came to my mind.
“You weren’t really saying that about God, you were saying that about someone else.”
I brushed it off and kept Worship. Then it came back and started questioning if this thought was true. Then I started worrying about it.
Now I’m scared if I do indeed have an idol of someone, or an idol of fearing an idol. (Yes, the second one is kind of ridiculous.) please help!

I would ignore the thought. It seem more like something the devil would do to bring you fear. The bible tells us, that if there is anything to be concerned over God will let you know with time.

Php 3:15 Let us therefore, as many as are perfect, be thus minded: and if in anything ye are otherwise minded, this also shall God reveal unto you:

The bible also tells us as people to:

Timothy 2:25 Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth,

I believe that God gently corrects, he is not going to do it in a way that causes you stress and fear.

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Unless you have OCD, you are just overthinking it. (If you do have OCD, you are still overthinking it, but it will require medical help to deal with it.)

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

SeekingGloryOnThisJourney

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I would ignore the thought. It seem more like something the devil would do to bring you fear. The bible tells us, that if there is anything to be concerned over God will let you know with time.

Php 3:15 Let us therefore, as many as are perfect, be thus minded: and if in anything ye are otherwise minded, this also shall God reveal unto you:

The bible also tells us as people to:

Timothy 2:25 Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth,

I believe that God gently corrects, he is not going to do it in a way that causes you stress and fear.
Thank you!

Upvote 0

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Unless you have OCD, you are just overthinking it. (If you do have OCD, you are still overthinking it, but it will require medical help to deal with it.)
I was never diagnosed with ocd: though I have a small suspicion that I might, based on my behavior.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @SeekingGloryOnThisJourney, first off, I see that you are still pretty new around here, so WELCOME TO CF :wave:

As for the thought you had, trying to get us to believe that 1. a true Christian would never think a thought like that, or 2. that we aren't worthy to be a Christian (only other Christians are worthy of His love and His promises), or that 3. we are not now, nor were we ever a true Christian, are perhaps the most common ploys that our common enemy attacks us with .. cf Ephesians 6:10-17; 1 Peter 5:8-9.

This is why we need to both know God's word (and "renew our minds" in it daily .. Romans 12:2) and then choose to listen closely to/obey what God tells us in it. We also need to choose to believe/trust Him, ~not~ our enemy's lies and half-truths, no matter how reasonable they seem to us and/or how strong our "feelings" (that oppose the truth of God) about them are in the moment.

God's everlasting love for you as His adopted child is a fact that will never change :preach: (cf Jeremiah 31:3; Ephesians 1:4-6)

Remember, He knew ~exactly~ who and what He was getting when He saved you (and me), and He still chose to save us anyway :amen: Nothing that you do in your life is a surprise to Him, ever (just to be clear, I do not mean by this that sinning is ever ok with Him and that we no longer need to confess our sins and repent of them whenever we do sin as Christians).

I went through what you are going through now when I was a younger Christian, until I was convicted one day that doing so (believing Satan and/or my feelings ~rather~ than taking God at His word) was anything other than pleasing and honoring to Him, the One who loves me and died to save me. It was, in fact, a sin for which I needed to be forgiven and repent of.

James 4:7 commands us to, "resist the devil", and then it promises us that when we do so, "he will flee from us". The good news is that perhaps the principle way that we "resist" Satan is by doing just that, by choosing to take God at His word (no matter what Satan and/or our feelings are telling us in our minds at the moment instead).

So, whenever thoughts or feelings come into your mind that seem confusing (because you know, or at least sense that they are opposed to what you know of the truth and love of God .. and/or they are clearly sinful), take those thoughts "captive", as we are commanded to do, and give them over to the Lord Jesus to deal with instead .. e.g. 2 Corinthians 10:5.

Always remember that God loves you, that He is for you/wants the very best for you (if I ever have any trouble remembering that, I go immediately to the foot of the Cross).

Did you know that God even provides a way of escape from every temptation that we are faced with while, at the same time, not allowing Satan to tempt us in a way that is beyond our ability to resist .. 1 Corinthians 10:13. So take those thoughts captive and look for His other ways of escape whenever you are tempted to sin (and if you fail and fall for the temptation, and you will, especially at first, just choose to believe and obey another one of His wonderful commands which also comes with a wonderful promise .. 1 John 1:9). He is there waiting for you to do so, BTW, waiting to reestablish full fellowship with you so that you can get back to the business of growing in Christlikeness again (sanctification), as well helping others to do the same (or to come to know Him for the very first time :)).

God bless you! (Philippians 1:6, 2:13, 4:6-8)

--David

quote-be-obedient-even-when-you-do-not-know-where-obedience-may-lead-you-sinclair-b-ferguson-70-73-72.jpg

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well, what did you say?

Possibly, for all I know, it was not the right thing to say or to understand about God. So, you might tell us what it is you said, so we can evaluate this by scripture.
I was in Prayer/Worship. I was Praising and telling God how perfect He is and how much I love God, and thanking Him for dying for me, and then a thought pops in that I’m actually idolizing someone else although I was Praising God.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was Praising and telling God how perfect He is and how much I love God, and thanking Him for dying for me,
Amen.

And I pray for God to have us follow the example of how Jesus died for us, as His word means for us to do >

"And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma." (Ephesians 5:2)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums