• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I'd like your opinions on my scrupulosity...

Efkharisto2018

Jan 12, 2018
Middle-ish
✟16,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Hi all,

My OCD shifts and changes, and I picked up a new type of OCD recently where I fear that perhaps I'm not sorry enough for my sins. For example, what if I am only sorry for them in the sense that I fear eternal punishment and separation from God? And what if I'm not worried about displeasing God for the sake of displeasing someone I love, but I'm worried because I don't want to make God angry at me? I thought, if I'm worried about whether I truly fear and love God or not, then I must truly love and fear Him, but what if I only am worried about whether I truly love and fear Him because I've heard you cannot get into heaven if you don't fear God as a father, and only fear Him as God (i.e. filial fear is fear of Him as a father, and servile fear is fear of Him because He determines your salvation, like Martin Luther talked about.)

I'm quite tired of googling the issue and hearing "You'll burn off the bad karma/servile fear in purgatory" since I'm Lutheran and don't believe purgatory exists, and I'm also even more tired of googling it and hearing "You'll go to hell if you don't fear God as a father, and instead just fear Him because you don't want to go to hell." :( So if anyone has anything to say on the topic that is encouraging or comforting, please do!

Thanks for reading, and God bless!

EDIT: I'd also like to add, that John 3:16 says "Whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life," and I am whoever (As is everyone else), and I do believe Jesus is Lord, and I am sorry for my sins- my concern is that, is my repentance out of fear, or out of love and reverence? And can the former keep you out of heaven, since you are obeying God out of fear?

Last edited:

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi all,

My OCD shifts and changes, and I picked up a new type of OCD recently where I fear that perhaps I'm not sorry enough for my sins. For example, what if I am only sorry for them in the sense that I fear eternal punishment and separation from God? And what if I'm not worried about displeasing God for the sake of displeasing someone I love, but I'm worried because I don't want to make God angry at me? I thought, if I'm worried about whether I truly fear and love God or not, then I must truly love and fear Him, but what if I only am worried about whether I truly love and fear Him because I've heard you cannot get into heaven if you don't fear God as a father, and only fear Him as God (i.e. filial fear is fear of Him as a father, and servile fear is fear of Him because He determines your salvation, like Martin Luther talked about.)

I'm quite tired of googling the issue and hearing "You'll burn off the bad karma/servile fear in purgatory" since I'm Lutheran and don't believe purgatory exists, and I'm also even more tired of googling it and hearing "You'll go to hell if you don't fear God as a father, and instead just fear Him because you don't want to go to hell." :( So if anyone has anything to say on the topic that is encouraging or comforting, please do!

The Lord gave us commandments to obey. If you are obeying them, the Lord has no problem with you.

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2018
MidWest
✟10,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My OCD sucks too. It makes me think that I'm not doing the right thing in repentance of sin until I go and confess sins to that individual. This includes sins they aren't aware of and weren't harmed by yet I feel guilty that I need to go and now upset and hurt them just to clear my conscience. So you feel you aren't sorry enough and I feel I'm not doing enough to repent. OCD sucks. I get it in many areas of my life.

The point is that these feelings aren't coming from God, but our adversary, the Devil. He wants us to think we are unforgiven failures. I struggle with this too but we have to remember our sins we're covered at Calgary and we need to press forward and not look back!

Upvote 0

Arthur B Via

Art
Supporter
Dec 26, 2016
✟63,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Hi all,

My OCD shifts and changes, and I picked up a new type of OCD recently where I fear that perhaps I'm not sorry enough for my sins. For example, what if I am only sorry for them in the sense that I fear
Hi all,

EDIT: I'd also like to add, that John 3:16 says "Whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life," and I am whoever (As is everyone else), and I do believe Jesus is Lord, and I am sorry for my sins- my concern is that, is my repentance out of fear, or out of love and reverence? And can the former keep you out of heaven, since you are obeying God out of fear?
My OCD sucks too. It makes me think that I'm not doing the right thing in repentance of sin until I go and confess sins to that individual. This includes sins they aren't aware of and weren't harmed by yet I feel guilty that I need to go and now upset and hurt them just to clear my conscience. So you feel you aren't sorry enough and I feel I'm not doing enough to repent. OCD sucks. I get it in many areas of my life.

The point is that these feelings aren't coming from God, but our adversary, the Devil. He wants us to think we are unforgiven failures. I struggle with this too but we have to remember our sins we're covered at Calgary and we need to press forward and not look back!

eternal punishment and separation from God? And what if I'm not worried about displeasing God for the sake of displeasing someone I love, but I'm worried because I don't want to make God angry at me? I thought, if I'm worried about whether I truly fear and love God or not, then I must truly love and fear Him, but what if I only am worried about whether I truly love and fear Him because I've heard you cannot get into heaven if you don't fear God as a father, and only fear Him as God (i.e. filial fear is fear of Him as a father, and servile fear is fear of Him because He determines your salvation, like Martin Luther talked about.)

Hi all,

We often show our fear of God by the hatred we have for our sins my friend. Paul, who wrote 70% of the epistles, writes of his struggle with his "sin nature" in Romans 7:14. Please read as we all have this struggle... Hope this helps you and God bless you...

Reactions: God is good
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,559.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm quite tired of googling the issue and hearing "You'll burn off the bad karma/servile fear in purgatory

Then stop looking them up.
It is possible to set rules that will not let you look at certain subjects.
Try setting up a ban on karma, sin, fear and hell.

May I suggest that you learn 1John ch 1 and verse 9 and write it on the top oe your monitor and anywhere else that you start ocding about sin and forgiveness.

Upvote 0

Arthur B Via

Art
Supporter
Dec 26, 2016
✟63,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

May I suggest that you learn 1John ch 1 and verse 9 and write it on the top oe your monitor and anywhere else that you start ocding about sin and forgiveness.
Yes! There is no karma, fear, sin, or hell for believers! Only Grace through Faith and Faith alone my friend. Snuggle up to Christ and in time, He'll do the rest. God bless you!

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟141,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi all,

Your OCD is making you overthink things - one of its favorite tricks!! Researching is a compulsion, so that's something you should definitely stop doing. You can't force feelings, so even if you are only sorry for your sins because of hell, there's not much you can do to change that. And the more you try to force your feelings, the harder they are to drum up. Our relationships with anyone (God included) are a mixture of fear/respect and genuine love. (I'm thinking especially in parent/child terms here.) Our love for God grows as we develop a relationship with Him. However, that's hard to do if you are focused so much on your feelings and thinking/feeling everything perfectly. Stop trying to figure it out. Ask forgiveness without analyzing your feelings, and then move on, even if your anxiety is trying to convince you otherwise. It will eventually stop hyper-focusing on these feelings. Do you have help for your OCD? Do you know anything about ERP therapy?

Reactions: lamb7
Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟141,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I may understand these posts if I knew what OCD is.
Obsessive-compulsive disorder. It's kind of like an anxiety disorder with a focus. A person with OCD tends to latch onto the fears/strange thoughts that are common to all humans, and instead of processing them normally and dismissing them, starts being afraid that they might be true. E.g. "What if I didn't wash my hands well enough and I give someone a horrible disease?" (When in reality, the person has washed their hands well.) Or, for Christians, "What if I lose my salvation because I don't believe enough/feel exactly the right way?" Or "What if my mind 'accidentally' makes a vow to God to do something I don't want to do, and I have to keep it?" It's kind of like our fear becomes greater than our common sense, and we become SO afraid/obsessive about one particular issue that we can't process correctly. The only way to pull out is to refuse to do what the fear is telling us to do (e.g. wash my hands again, research obsessively to see if it's possible to lose my salvation, try to 'push away' thoughts that seem like they might be vows). It's REALLY hard to do though, because the fear is so strong. It's like a conscience on steroids, basically. :)

Reactions: lamb7
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lamb7

Little Lamb
Jul 19, 2017
USA
✟36,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

It is hard for people with this illness to just stop, kind of like people who have addiction to eating food etc. People like this need mercy, grace and comfort from others. (Not attacking you) just trying to help you understand, it is a hard thing to understand.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟832,583.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

MOD HAT ON

We're going to close this thread for review, hopefully for a very short time. Please bear with us as we meet with each other and figure out what to do. Thank you.

MOD HAT OFF​

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,738,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

This thread had a clean up of off topic and unhelpful posts. Please remember to stay on topic and this site rule:

• Posts which attempt to exorcise or bind demons, or posts which give instructions on how to complete deliverance are not allowed.
Reopening

Upvote 0