Id like to debate a Roman Catholic on any RCC doctrine / subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrthodoxForever

Has been saved, Being saved, (LHM) WILL be saved
Nov 8, 2015
Midwest USA
✟16,761.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Would you be willing to debate an Orthodox Christian on a topic on which we and the RCC are in full agreement? I've been looking to debate a protestant on the authenticity and Scriptural Status of the Apocrypha (what are labeled on bible tabs as "Catholic Books")

Reactions: Athanasias
Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Im afraid its impossible being a real true orthodox Christian yet believe in books that contradict some of the major doctrines of the historic Christian Faith such as the total sufficiency of CHrists finished atonement and that Christ paid for ALL sins leaving nothing to be done in the afterlife. How do you melt the two positions together yet still assert your an Orthodox Follower of Christ ? THanks.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxForever

Nov 8, 2015
Midwest USA
✟16,761.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Im afraid its impossible being a real true orthodox Christian yet believe in books that contradict some of the major doctrines of the historic Christian Faith such as the total sufficiency of CHrists finished atonement and that Christ paid for ALL sins leaving nothing to be done in the afterlife. How do you melt the two positions together yet still assert your an Orthodox Follower of Christ ? THanks.
Having read them, they do not contradict Christ, they contradict certain heretical interpretations of the gospel. Tell me, how do you claim the dogma of Sola Scriptura while refusing to accept all Scripture as Scripture?

Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Having read them, they do not contradict Christ, they contradict certain heretical interpretations of the gospel. Tell me, how do you claim the dogma of Sola Scriptura while refusing to accept all Scripture as Scripture?

I don't . All scripture is God breathed and the ultimate truth source to which every other doctrine is measured (2 Tim. 3:16) , so you err in your evaluation of me. Rather, its added man-made teachings that originated at Councils such as Trent that compete with the total sufficiency of Christs atonement ; invented teachings such as purgatory, expiating ones own sins thru works, and even trusting in deceased peoples works/deeds/prayers being efficacious toward a living persons salvation....that is an atrocious heresy to the highest degree. I would encourage you to escape from adjunctive competing philosophys that demote the finished work of Christ crucified. Theres got to be several Evangelical Churches in your locale that can be considered for attendance that truly hold up the Bible as the epitomie of truth. (and its not a matter of interpretation , for, its as clear as can be for what Christ accomplished for mankind) .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OrthodoxForever

Nov 8, 2015
Midwest USA
✟16,761.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't . All scripture is God breathed and the ultimate truth source to which every other doctrine is measured (2 Tim. 3:16) , so you err in your evaluation of me. Rather, its added man-made teachings that originated at Councils such as Trent that compete with the total sufficiency of Christs atonement ; invented teachings such as purgatory, expiating ones own sins thru works, and even trusting in deceased peoples works/deeds/prayers being efficacious toward a living persons salvation....that is an atrocious heresy to the highest degree. I would encourage you to escape from adjunctive competing philosophys that demote the finished work of Christ crucified. Theres got to be several Evangelical Churches in your locale that can be considered for attendance that truly hold up the Bible as the epitomie of truth. (and its not a matter of interpretation , for, its as clear as can be for what Christ accomplished for mankind) .
1. No one, not even catholics, let alone Orthodox like myself actually believe works save, rather Christ saves by Grace, Grace which includes reforming our hearts and minds to bring us closer to who God wants us to be. Salvation is by Grace, but it is not instant or a get out of hell free card.
2. Orthodoxy rejects purgatory
3. We also reject the immaculate conception
4. The Saints are fellow Christians who lived and died and went to heaven before us. We ask them to pray with us and for us as we would have when they were alive. Have you ever asked another to pray for you or join you in prayer? It is the same. Christ has One Church, One Body, not one on Earth and another in Heaven.

Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
1. No one, not even catholics, let alone Orthodox like myself actually believe works save, rather Christ saves by Grace, Grace which includes reforming our hearts and minds to bring us closer to who God wants us to be. Salvation is by Grace, but it is not instant or a get out of hell free card.
2. Orthodoxy rejects purgatory
3. We also reject the immaculate conception
4. The Saints are fellow Christians who lived and died and went to heaven before us. We ask them to pray with us and for us as we would have when they were alive. Have you ever asked another to pray for you or join you in prayer? It is the same. Christ has One Church, One Body, not one on Earth and another in Heaven.

Ive asked people to pray for me but they were in the flesh in this life. There is ONLY one Mediator in heaven between God and Man and that is Christ Jesus our Interecessor. The dead are not praying to God for us...Jesus alone does that. RC's certainly DO use works to further their salvation : The R.C. Catechism says 'If one does not persevere in good works, deeds, and charity then they are not saved' . Being saved by grace thru faith alone is something that R.C. Vatican 2 says is met with anathema which means eternal damnation. Here is a formal debate I participated in some time ago with a Catholic regarding how to be saved thru the real Gospel. I hope you will take the time to read it ....and I thank you for this exchange. This will conclude our exchange . : http://www.christianforums.com/thre...hat-jesus-and-his-disciples-preached.7808868/

Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If I may, where do you get the authority to claim you have the "real" Gospel?

I get the authority from Gods Word to claim the real Gospel and it is specifically defined in 1 Corinthians 15 :1-4 . I get the authority to preach and share the real Gospel also from Gods Word of instructions and from Jesus .

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.