ID is officially dead.

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Though anyone in the sciences knows that ID died a long time ago. Even though there are zombie versions of it out there searching for brains. The claim that ID is doing science can no longer be made (heck, it really could never claim to do that).

Even the Discovery Institute has thrown in the towel and have closed their ID research arm the "Biologic Institute" has been shut down:

Biologic Institute Closes

"Appears the Biologic Institute [An enterprise of the Discovery Institute] is history, green screen and all. On their 2019 990, Director Axe will no longer draw a salary, but will be a prof at Biola “Univ.” Office space is for rent. Location is listed as “permanently closed.” Their final 990 showed a loss of $133,000."

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Though anyone in the sciences knows that ID died a long time ago. Even though there are zombie versions of it out there searching for brains. The claim that ID is doing science can no longer be made (heck, it really could never claim to do that).

Even the Discovery Institute has thrown in the towel and have closed their ID research arm the "Biologic Institute" has been shut down:

Biologic Institute Closes

"Appears the Biologic Institute [An enterprise of the Discovery Institute] is history, green screen and all. On their 2019 990, Director Axe will no longer draw a salary, but will be a prof at Biola “Univ.” Office space is for rent. Location is listed as “permanently closed.” Their final 990 showed a loss of $133,000."
What is ID?

• Agree
Reactions: CDM Tucson
Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
So because they shut down a building the idea is dead? All that tells us is that it isn't a profitable venue for those dedicated to it.

If it ain't dead, it's limping along on life support.

Another indicator of the lack of research or attention to ID is the paucity of papers published in BIO-Complexity, an ID journal.

The Journal of Evolutionary Applications gets more research papers published in a single month than BIO-Complexity does in an entire year.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Intelligent Design, a pseudoscience which claims life has the appearance of design.
Thanks. I know what Intelligent Design is --just didn't relate that to 'ID'. It'll be interesting to see what God calls pseudoscience.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, I understand that God is way more than intelligent, His ways "past finding out" (in Romans 11:33). But His ways are in His creation, and science hasn't figured out all the ways of the human body and other creation. I would say He is creative, not only intelligent.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Intelligent Design, a pseudoscience which claims life has the appearance of design.

Well, I'd have to say that for a product of Unintelligent Design, so far, life is doing pretty well lol

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Well, I'd have to say that for a product of Unintelligent Design, so far, life is doing pretty well lol
Lol, and all by pure accident, somehow. Might be tempted to say, "almost magically!"

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Thanks. I know what Intelligent Design is --just didn't relate that to 'ID'. It'll be interesting to see what God calls pseudoscience.

If life was designed, it was designed with the appearance of having evolved.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Is that a problem?

Does it also have the appearance of having evolved by accident?

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Then by intention?

My point is simply that given the nature of the universe and under the right conditions, life might simply be inevitable.

Whether that's by intention or not isn't something we can answer (yet).

• Agree
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Or it was designed TO evolve.
I don't have a problem with that, shows a pretty creative designer.

I do have a problem with things being designed to appear to be doing one thing, while actually doing another. That shows a pretty deceptive designer.

I'd be interested in meeting the one and knowing what He had to say.
Not sure I'd trust the other guy, seems a little dodgy.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
For ID proponents, it is.

Depends on what you mean by "accident".

"Naturalism posits a universe that behaves exactly as though God had created it."

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
My point is simply that given the nature of the universe and under the right conditions, life might simply be inevitable.

Whether that's by intention or not isn't something we can answer (yet).
Sure we can. By your own thesis, there was something before life. Cause and effect is perhaps the most pervasive and constant principle of reality.

As for inevitability, I insist it was inevitable. What First Cause, Omnipotence, sets out to do, will indeed happen.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,740.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
So because they shut down a building the idea is dead? All that tells us is that it isn't a profitable venue for those dedicated to it.

The Biologic Institute was the research arm of ID. Since the Director Douglas Axe now has a full time job with Biola University and the remaining funding for the Biologic Institute is around $9,000 it's obvious that the Institute now exists in name only.

With no appearance of a research focus, ID's claim to be a scientifically based concept has quietly sunk beneath the waves.

OB

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
By your own thesis, there was something before life.

Well, yeah. Our own planet pre-dates the existence of the earliest life on it. Likewise, the universe is far older than life on this planet.

Upvote 0