Married

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Did they have money or a plan of where to go before they requested asylum? What are they hoping that we will do for them when they get here? What do you believe we should be doing for them and with whose money?

I am guessing that these asylum seekers are already in or near El Paso and not shipped to that bus station from hundreds of miles away.

What is the answer? Especially, if the asylum seekers are not really in need of asylum but only looking to move to the US for a job.

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They could have stayed home and decorated a Christmas tree with their families. They knew the laws before they decided to try to ignore them. When I see a photocopy of the canceled checks of the thousands of dollars Bleeding Heart Liberal have independently and personally mailed directly to those people, then I might think you guys are serious.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
What does Christmas have to do with anything? Are we supposed to throw them a party and give them gifts? Does the holiday prevent them from getting money? The buses still run on Christmas.

And how do they not have any money? How did they get here? They had to eat along the way and likely paid someone a lot of money to get them across the border. Why would they come if they have no plan of where to live?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What is the answer? Especially, if the asylum seekers are not really in need of asylum but only looking to move to the US for a job.

Hey, it's just a "We don't like Donald" thing...doesn't really have to make sense.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Did they have money or a plan of where to go before they requested asylum? What are they hoping that we will do for them when they get here? What do you believe we should be doing for them and with whose money?

I am guessing that these asylum seekers are already in or near El Paso and not shipped to that bus station from hundreds of miles away.

Did you miss the part where the OP said a shelter offered to take them?

Also, how do you know their asylum claims are not legitimate? Need to look into it before making that claim.

Deuteronomy 10:19

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are we supposed to throw them a party and give them gifts?

Maybe a humane and just process rather than this dehumanizing view of "them".

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Did you miss the part where the OP said a shelter offered to take them?

Also, how do you know their asylum claims are not legitimate? Need to look into it before making that claim.

Exodus 22:20
Deuteronomy 10:19

They are in Mexico. If they are Mexicans in fear for their lives, move to a safer area in Mexico. If they from other countries and just came via Mexico, Mexico offered them asylum. To be a true asylum claim, you take safety in the first safe location. It makes more sense for them to stay in a country where they actually speak the language. And I really doubt that 200+ people are in fear for their lives from the Mexican government....

As for a shelter, it does take them...and comes get them from the bus station. They just weren't prepared for so many (again, that many Mexicans need genuine asylum?) However, it is only right that it is private money that is caring for them...but again, why so many without a plan for what to do when they got here?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ICE Quietly Drops 200 Asylum Seekers at El Paso Bus Station With No Money or Shelter Right Before Christmas

ICE, though informed that a shelter would take them, just dropped off asylum seekers off in downtown El Paso with no help or information. Merry Christmas migrants from Donald a Trump.
Terrible and unfortunately been happening for many years.

Recently pastors in the local area said they were beyond capacity. ICE usually drops them with churches. Churches full.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Maybe a humane and just process rather than this dehumanizing view of "them".

I'm game. The "them" is actually a human pronoun and refers to the people here illegally claiming asylum status. What term would you like? I do know these are real people but they are making a wrong choice by trying to enter the US this way instead of the way that legal immigrants come in.

Reactions: DaDad
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
They are in Mexico. If they are Mexicans in fear for their lives, move to a safer area in Mexico. If they from other countries and just came via Mexico, Mexico offered them asylum. To be a true asylum claim, you take safety in the first safe location. It makes more sense for them to stay in a country where they actually speak the language. And I really doubt that 200+ people are in fear for their lives from the Mexican government....

As for a shelter, it does take them...and comes get them from the bus station. They just weren't prepared for so many (again, that many Mexicans need genuine asylum?) However, it is only right that it is private money that is caring for them...but again, why so many without a plan for what to do when they got here?

Having never sought asylum myself, I guess I can’t speak for them.

All I can do is hope and pray that they are treated like people, not objects. You know, “love your neighbor” and all that...

• Agree
Reactions: harko
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status

All I can do is hope and pray that they are treated like people, not objects. You know, “love your neighbor” and all that...

I had a roommate in college whose family was here on asylum from Nicaragua...her father once had a powerful government position which turned out to be on the wrong policial side of Noriega. However, they came to the US because they had family here to live with. Her dad got a job teaching in a public high school. They didn't have much money in their life here. Her yearbook from her previous life had pictures of Noriega in it because she went to the same private school as his daughter. They left because their lives were genuinely and literally in danger. That is what asylum is supposed to be for.

• Agree
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status

Love your neighbor has never been "love your neighbor with someone else's money". If you really believe this is a situation to love your neighbor, then you should be offering to sponsor a refugee...which means you are financially responsible for them for 10 years. Are you offering up a bed in your home?

• Winner
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
One of my daughter's skating coaches also became a citizen via asylum. She defected from Russia in the 80's when she was traveling with a performing group (she skated for Russia in the 1984 Winter Olympics). It definitely wasn't to "get a job" because her profession life was definitely better over there but the government control was oppressive.

• Winner
Upvote 0

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Love your neighbor has never been "love your neighbor with someone else's money". If you really believe this is a situation to love your neighbor, then you should be offering to sponsor a refugee...which means you are financially responsible for them for 10 years. Are you offering up a bed in your home?

As far as I know, there are no refugees where I live.

I am fine with my tax and charity dollars going for this - better than a wall.

I guess you love your neighbor by having ICE drop them at a bus station? I’m pretty sure that’s not was Jesus had in mind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status

I guess you love your neighbor by having ICE drop them at a bus station? I’m pretty sure that’s not was Jesus had in mind.

Again, Love your neighbor isn't about letting the government do it for you. Do something if you really do care. The buses do run to your home area. A refugee or a family group can be at your door within two days max. Talk is cheap. Giving welfare to people who crossed the border illegally isn't cheap. Either we are a country of laws or we are not. And did you mail a check to one of these shelters to help them out or how are your charity dollars helping them?

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status

Where do you live that doesn't have refugees?

And refugees is a misnomer in this situation because a true refugee can't return home because they would likely be killed or put in prison. Most refugees would like to go home if it were safe. I am going to assume that you don't know of any illegals living in your area...but again, I'd love to know where that would be.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I've been to El Paso. I thought our Constitution prohibited cruel and unusual punishments.

Cute joke. However, I don't have any problems with El Paso but it probably would be better if all the citizens were really legal residents of the US.

Upvote 0