The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The former leader of the Democratic Unionist party (DUP) Dr Ian Paisley has died aged 88, his widow said.

The firebrand preacher-turned-politician died on Friday morning, according to Eileen Paisley, a fellow member of the House of Lords.

She said the family was heartbroken by the death of a figure who dominated Ulster Unionist politics for nearly six decades.

Paisley, or Lord Bannside as he was known in his latter years, embarked on a remarkable political journey that started with him opposing mild reforms to the unionist-dominated Northern Ireland state in the late 1950s and early 60s to sharing power with his one-time mortal enemies Sinn Féin in the 21st century.

The 88-year-old founder of the fundamentalist Free Presbyterian Church moved from being Ulster's "Dr No", who rejected political compromises with nationalists during the height of the Northern Ireland Troubles to ultimately getting into government with Sinn Féin after the 2006 St Andrews Agreement.

Source: The Guardian

Never could make up my mind about Ian Paisley. Toughts?

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
He was not the nicest "Bloke" he caused a lot of violence against Catholics which resulted in many murders.

I agree he came around later in life, but he came kicking and screaming. If it wasn't for the IRA's long war against the Brit's and their supporters in the North, than we would not be where we are now in the peace process.

If your honest, you will admit, that of it wasn't for the IRA, then there would have never been concessions or power sharing.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Here he addresses the Pope:

“I denounce you, Anti-Christ! I refuse you as Christ’s enemy and Antichrist with all your false doctrine” — addressing Pope John Paul II on a visit to the European Parliament October 1988.

That is my last post on this. But it is sad to see and Irishman making the comments that Ian was a "Nice bloke"

I am glad that Ian Paisley came around later in life, but enough with the slave mentality and assigning false attributes to a man that caused many Irish Catholics to be beaten and murdered.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
He is not even cold in his grave, he was a former First Minister of Northern Ireland, and you are gleefully jumping on his grave. Please show some restraint.

I am gleeful? No. I am stating the facts. He hated Catholics and incited violence against us. If your not Catholic, than you would not understand.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes the truth hurts. Where you a Paisley supporter?

Never involved in politics myself. No family connections with Northern Ireland either.

Let me quote Martin McGuinness: "I like Ian Paisley. I didn't use to like him at all."

Now that he has passed away hours ago, the least we can do is give his family some space.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Never involved in politics myself. No family connections with Northern Ireland either.

Let me quote Martin McGuinness: "I like Ian Paisley. I didn't use to like him at all."

Now that he has passed away hours ago, the least we can do is give his family some space.

Martin is entitled to his opinion. My point was to quell the revisionist history that Ian was a fine "bloke" If he repented than that is a good thing, but we should not forget that he caused many Catholics to be burned out of their homes and even murdered.

I understand MMG's sentiments. He needs to keep the process moving forward. Martin walked the walk , he served in the IRA and sat on the council.

I don't hate Mr. Paisley, but let's not put on Rose colored glasses.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian

Again, Martin is entitled to his opinion, but when Martin was in the struggle, both he and the movement had a different opinion. He is now a politician and has to speak like one.

But Ian in his earlier days called Irish Catholics Vermin and satanic.

Here is a quote Paisley made regarding the Queen Mother visiting the Vatican:

Her visit to the Vatican was spiritual fornication and adultery with the Antichrist." – On the Queen Mother

Here was another quote he hurled at Pope JPII when he addressed the European Parliament.

denounce you, Antichrist! I refuse you as Christ’s enemy and Antichrist with all your false doctrine

Upvote 0

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Isn't that the ultimate Christian conversian, though? A man who starts his life filled with hate and spite and racism and then slowly comes around to create something good? I like to think it's not how you start out in life, it's how you finish it. And Paisley certainly finished his in style. Then again, I agree with you that he caused a lot of harm before he did a lot of good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The last time I heard his name he tried to enter America to speak at Bob Jones University. President Reagan wouldn't allow it.

...and the US gave Gerry Adams a visa even though he had not renounced violence (unlike Mr Paisley who never was linked with paramilitaries).

All this is in the past now. Let's hope it stays in the past.

Upvote 0

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟341,799.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
He is not even cold in his grave, he was a former First Minister of Northern Ireland, and you are gleefully jumping on his grave. Please show some restraint.

Our friend Eascoast cannot help himself.

Instead, take alook at the former IRA leaders, who have the respect and common decency to regards Dr Paisley in a much more rounded way..:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qvUYtOr-Xc

Upvote 0

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟341,799.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The last time I heard his name he tried to enter America to speak at Bob Jones University. President Reagan wouldn't allow it.
Not true. Paisley was never stopped entering the States and he had a very close relationship with Bj Uni...

Upvote 0