• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I work with...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟365,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Hey folks.
I am not a self harmer but I work in a treatment centre for youth and we frequently have self harmers go through our doors. I've been exposed and provided first aid (or phone for ambulances) more than a few times.
Now, it has left me with some emotional scars and memories I'll never be able to get rid of.

I guess I'm putting myself and this post out there to hear from you, what kinds of things have you done/had said to you that have made significant impacts on that journey past self harm; to better coping strategies.

In our complex we tend to have youth with fairly strong borderline personality disorder traits (and these kids, invariably self harm). If you have any additional advice on helping these types, please let me know.

Kristen.NewCreation

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
✟303,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In my experience, my therapist said "if you're gonna cut, you're gonna have to do it in the ER." I was angry, but it worked because I was not going to do that.

Coping skills... writing has been a big one... using distraction big time, initially using a red water color marker and coloring all over with it then getting in the shower so it looked like what I wanted to feel.

Upvote 0

SHETALKSTOANGELS

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2016
NY
✟1,611.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps my story is a bit different and I may be the oldest person on here, so my story is a very very old one.

The only thing that made me stop cold turkey was that the last time I did it, I nearly died, it was like a smack to the back of the head.

My heart bleeds for those still in the trenches fighting.:heartarrow::heartarrow::heartarrow:

Upvote 0

Celticroots

Jun 2, 2012
✟72,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In my experience, my therapist said "if you're gonna cut, you're gonna have to do it in the ER." I was angry, but it worked because I was not going to do that.

Coping skills... writing has been a big one... using distraction big time, initially using a red water color marker and coloring all over with it then getting in the shower so it looked like what I wanted to feel.

I'd never go to a therapist who spoke to me like that.

Upvote 0

Kristen.NewCreation

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
✟303,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So much of everything else we had worked on (over a couple years had been incredibly helpful and healing. This wasn't my favorite situation, but we had a good history and this wasn't her typical response to where I was. I know she was worried. That said though, it is definitely not everyone's fit for every therapist and what worked for me won't always work for someone else. Thanks for sharing. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.