Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Another thread caused me to wonder about this: Is it possible, when discussing politics, to discuss the issues without attacking the politicians?

That's actually a very good question...

Upvote 0

Greek2Me

Mar 26, 2017
Southern Ohio
✟18,548.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Married
Here's the problem: most policies (and sometimes the attitudes BEHIND them) promoted by a politician are often generated or motivated by the personality OF the politician. It is very difficult to separate them, but necessary if we're going to have any meaningful discussion. Only when people (politicians included) are more focused on actually solving problems and making things better for EVERYBODY than they are "being seen", getting credit or "besting" their opponents will substantial and positive progress be made. It would take a great movement of God across America before THAT will happen. Prayin' for that!

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Another thread caused me to wonder about this: Is it possible, when discussing politics, to discuss the issues without attacking the politicians?

i also believe it is possible. :)

Reactions: dreadnought
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Here's the problem: most policies (and sometimes the attitudes BEHIND them) promoted by a politician are often generated or motivated by the personality OF the politician. It is very difficult to separate them, but necessary if we're going to have any meaningful discussion. Only when people (politicians included) are more focused on actually solving problems and making things better for EVERYBODY than they are "being seen", getting credit or "besting" their opponents will substantial and positive progress be made. It would take a great movement of God across America before THAT will happen. Prayin' for that!
Let's pretend personality has nothing to do with it. Let's just discuss the issues.

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Greek2Me

Mar 26, 2017
Southern Ohio
✟18,548.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Married
Let's pretend personality has nothing to do with it. Let's just discuss the issues.

I agree, that is the ideal, but as I stated, it is sometimes very difficult to separate politician from issue. Strong personalities and opinions are frequently the driver and sustainer in the political arena. Without some restraining arbiter (the Holy Spirit?), it is the rare person who "takes the high road", rather than "fighting fire with fire".

I try to take Paul's advice daily, "...I urge that petitions, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgiving be offered on behalf of all men for kings and all those in authority, so that we may lead tranquil and quiet lives in all godliness and dignity. This is good and pleasing in the sight of God our Savior" (I Tim 2:1-3), praying for both those whom I support AND those I oppose.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I agree, that is the ideal, but as I stated, it is sometimes very difficult to separate politician from issue. Strong personalities and opinions are frequently the driver and sustainer in the political arena. Without some restraining arbiter (the Holy Spirit?), it is the rare person who "takes the high road", rather than "fighting fire with fire".

I try to take Paul's advice daily, "...I urge that petitions, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgiving be offered on behalf of all men for kings and all those in authority, so that we may lead tranquil and quiet lives in all godliness and dignity. This is good and pleasing in the sight of God our Savior" (I Tim 2:1-3), praying for both those whom I support AND those I oppose.
Do it this way: Names are not allowed. Only issues.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That depends on the subject being discussed and the politician.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
That depends on the subject being discussed and the politician.
Well, you can talk about politicians or talk about issues. The challenge would be to talk about an issue without mentioning a politician.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
How many of the issues don't involve politicians?
In congress they discuss and vote on issues. But nobody has to attach personalities to issues. Put another way, nobody has to politicize issues.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In congress they discuss and vote on issues. But nobody has to attach personalities to issues. Put another way, nobody has to politicize issues.
Congress is a political institution. All issues are discussed politically there, regardless of how much they agree on the issue. Who are the ones which you refer to that are attaching personalities to the issues and give us an example.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Congress is a political institution. All issues are discussed politically there, regardless of how much they agree on the issue. Who are the ones which you refer to that are attaching personalities to the issues and give us an example.
It seems to me almost everybody attaches personalities to issues. As for an example, they are constantly talking about Donald Trump.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It seems to me almost everybody attaches personalities to issues. As for an example, they are constantly talking about Donald Trump.
Isn't Donald Trump putting his name on most of the issues which Congress has been working on? Both parties want to attach the names of those endorsing a bill as a means to use that either for or against their political opponent. Even if their opponent isn't for the bill they want leverage.
For instance, gun law legislation. Obama's name was attached to them as if he wanted to take guns away from all Americans even though he never nor Democrats never attempted to do so. It didn't matter to the NRA, their ads and many Republicans made the claim because they wanted people to think it was true. It gave them leverage in elections.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Isn't Donald Trump putting his name on most of the issues which Congress has been working on? Both parties want to attach the names of those endorsing a bill as a means to use that either for or against their political opponent. Even if their opponent isn't for the bill they want leverage.
For instance, gun law legislation. Obama's name was attached to them as if he wanted to take guns away from all Americans even though he never nor Democrats never attempted to do so. It didn't matter to the NRA, their ads and many Republicans made the claim because they wanted people to think it was true. It gave them leverage in elections.
But I was trying to make the point that maybe we would be better off discussing issues than discussing personalities. If you like Donald Trump's ideas, then support those ideas. If you don't like his ideas, then criticize them. Leave Donald Trump out of it. Same with all the other politicians.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
But I was trying to make the point that maybe we would be better off discussing issues than discussing personalities. If you like Donald Trump's ideas, then support those ideas. If you don't like his ideas, then criticize them. Leave Donald Trump out of it. Same with all the other politicians.
I would agree, "IF" the OP was about a particular issue, such as abortion. We should be able to discuss all of the particulars about that issue without bringing names into the issue. The same with border protection, etc...

Upvote 0