• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

I will set no worthless thing before my eyes?

Discussion in 'Christian Philosophy & Ethics' started by Ashley755, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Ashley755

Ashley755 Member

+122
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Psalm 101:3 says "I will set no worthless thing before my eyes; I hate the work of those who fall away; It shall not fasten its grip on me."

Does this mean as Christians, we are not allowed to partake in anything that is worthless in the face of eternity? Such as movies, music, entertainment, hobbies, etc? Or is this merely stating that we should not let such activities take over our lives or take our time away from godly activities?

Thank you.

God bless.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+15,834
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    I definitely take it as the latter.

3. HTacianas

HTacianas Well-Known Member

+4,147
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I agree with Dave, above.

As to Psalms, it alludes to idolatry. The writer states, in effect, that he will not follow the useless example of those who have fallen away.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. tdidymas

tdidymas Newbie

+634
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Republican
    In the context of Ps. 101, it speaks of worthless things as that which causes one to fall away from faith and relationship with God. It speaks of whatever causes one to lie or slander others and such things like that. For example, a materialistic motive (greed) causes people to run roughshod over others, but a generous nature leads to loving the neighbor. It takes faith, which means to have the inner eyes set on Christ, rather than dumb idols or worldly heroes.

Incidentally, Song of Solomon is a play, and a play is entertainment. So entertainment is not evil. It is the contents of that entertainment that may be good or evil. The same with hobbies and anything else we do in life.

Hope this helps.
    TD:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+15,834
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    An interesting and rather important point. I had not thought of SoS in those terms; but I think you may be right, at least on one level of understanding. (d'rash or remez?)

6. yeshuaslavejeff

yeshuaslavejeff simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua

+10,135
    Anabaptist
    Serious ? See online pdf book "Love Not The World"
    Few choose, few are willing, to follow Jesus when they know the cost.
    Like the rich young man, except they usually are not sad like he was.
    They just go on partying, shopping, reveling, etc etc etc ........

7. MyChainsAreGone

MyChainsAreGone Image Bearer

+318
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Are you looking for additional "rules for righteousness" to live by?

Paul speaks to that...

Live a pure life by letting your mind be renewed and listening to the Spirit of God... don't look for new rules.

David