Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I’m not a Christian, but the Vatican museum is simply incredible, far and away the most wonderful museum I’ve ever visited. Their collections of paintings and statuary are absolutely out of this world, with so many wonders that you really can’t take even a quarter of it in during a single visit.

The Sistine Chapel was nice, although I didn’t get quite the impact I’d expected. For some reason I’d always thought The Creation of Adam was the centerpiece of the chapel, I hadn’t realized it was just one panel amongst many. The blue end wall also seemed a little out of place in the overall aesthetic, although the more time I spent there the more I realized quite how incredible Michelangelos work really is. So much of it seems like it’s 3D, it’s quite astounding.

Personal highlight though was definitely the Gallery of Maps, a seemingly endless corridor with the most elaborate painted ceilings and lined with very old maps of various regions of Italy. It was truly breathtaking.

The museum also has a contemporary arts section, which honestly I could have done without. Some of the names were world famous, but after being immersed in the sheer intoxication of the classical artwork, contemporary art just seemed out of place to me.

Anyway, we’ll worth a visit if you’re ever in Rome!

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Been to Rome twice. Went in the Vatican museum. To be honest, I felt ashamed of all the wealth on display. The many Roman statues etc.
Why? The Vatican attracts roughly 5 million unique individuals a year- the art in the museum is on display for everyone, not purchased by a private collector and hidden away from the public. There's no shame in that.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Btw, I went to an evening/night viewing which was great. The crowds were still heavy, but I can’t even imagine what they must be like during the day. Some sections were just jam packed with people. Would definitely recommend that night option though, it also gives the place a really nice atmosphere.

Reactions: TuxAme
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,514.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Why? The Vatican attracts roughly 5 million unique individuals a year- the art in the museum is on display for everyone, not purchased by a private collector and hidden away from the public. There's no shame in that.

Just felt awkward.

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Btw, I went to an evening/night viewing which was great. The crowds were still heavy, but I can’t even imagine what they must be like during the day. Some sections were just jam packed with people. Would definitely recommend that night option though, it also gives the place a really nice atmosphere.

I'm not sure if I just got lucky, but I intentionally went on a Wednesday morning a couple weeks ago, hoping that the crowds would be at the papal audience instead. Worked like a charm--there was no line whatsoever. (I'd initially planned to be in Rome on a Wednesday to see the pope, but never got around to getting tickets and then was more interested in seeing if my evil plan would work.)

My favorite part is the Rafael room, though all in all it's probably my favorite museum as well. It's so unique with the type of Renaissance art on display.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure if I just got lucky, but I intentionally went on a Wednesday morning a couple weeks ago, hoping that the crowds would be at the papal audience instead. Worked like a charm--there was no line whatsoever. (I'd initially planned to be in Rome on a Wednesday to see the pope, but never got around to getting tickets and then was more interested in seeing if my evil plan would work.)

My favorite part is the Rafael room, though all in all it's probably my favorite museum as well. It's so unique with the type of Renaissance art on display.

Good work! I’d have loved to see it with less people crowded around.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Why did you go to the Vatican if you're not a Christian? Just curious what its about?

Mainly to see things like the Sistine Chapel, although having seen quite how wonderful the museum is, I’d happily revisit just to see the wonderful artwork and statuary again.

Earlier in the week we went to see David in Florence and some amazing things in Naples. David is incredible by the way, although the Duomo in Florence is probably the most amazing sight there.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Mainly to see things like the Sistine Chapel, although having seen quite how wonderful the museum is, I’d happily revisit just to see the wonderful artwork and statuary again.

Earlier in the week we went to see David in Florence and some amazing things in Naples. David is incredible by the way, although the Duomo in Florence is probably the most amazing sight there.

Oh. Cool. Have you been to Israel? I hear its beautiful too. I'd like to go myself but I'm too poor. It would be cool to visit Jerusalem.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Oh. Cool. Have you been to Israel? I hear its beautiful too. I'd like to go myself but I'm too poor. It would be cool to visit Jerusalem.

I’d love to go, but haven’t made it so far. It’s been on my wish list for years though. I actually met an Israeli guy at a conference last year who told me he’d drive me around if I ever made it there. Maybe one day!

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I’d love to go, but haven’t made it so far. It’s been on my wish list for years though. I actually met an Israeli guy at a conference last year who told me he’d drive me around if I ever made it there. Maybe one day!

That would be cool. Maybe if I save up airfare ill be able to go. But it'll probably cost $2,000 just to fly there let alone hotel and car reservations (I live in the states) is Israel a really long drive from France?

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
We went to Rome April of 2014. It was very busy but we joined a tour and they get enter separate from the individual line so it’s a lot quicker. It was a three hour tour which only touches the main attractions.

Reactions: Kentonio
Upvote 0