I went to church! And now I have questions...

Chanticleera

May 1, 2016
Florida, US
✟17,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So for the first time in twenty+ years I went to church. I almost talked myself out of it this morning, but I went. I liked it. I was too stressed to say I enjoyed it (social anxiety), but I think once I get more used to it I will. It was a Church of Christ, and one of the no-instrument types. I am totally cool with that. No doubt these very nice people would have been happy to answer my questions but I was WAY too stressed - and made a beeline for the door as soon as I figured the service was over. This means you people get to answer my questions, sorry. :)

Communion: I grew up in a catholic church. So when I realized they do the communion thing it caught me off guard. I declined to participate as I wasn't entirely sure of it all. I gathered there is no belief in transubstantion (I think thats how you spell it!), but am not sure entirely what it means in a Church of Christ. Enlighten me? Also, is it real wine? I can't stand the taste of alcohol, it will make me sick. I didn't notice if the kids took it or not.

I saw a few people with Bibles, but not sure if everyone had one. Am I supposed to bring my Bible with me? Also, is it appropriate to take notes in a notebook? I used my phone today, not sure if that was a socially unacceptable thing to do. People probably thought I was texting lol.

Is the six pm service the same type of thing as the 10am? Also, the Wednesday one? Not sure if I can go to that one this Wednesday but figured I would check.

Also, it seems there was a check-in I missed. They said something about guest cards. Is there a special place most churches have them in, or do I need to ask for them?

Thanks for your help!

• Friendly
Reactions: LaSorcia

GandalfTheWise

In search of lost causes and hopeless battles
May 27, 2012
Wisconsin
✟71,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good for you! Relax. :) It's not a job interview or a tax audit. :) If it's a smaller church, chances are a lot of people might look at you and try to figure out who you are and wonder if they should go say hi or not. Other than a few really outgoing people, many people may take awhile to get up the nerve to go over and talk to a new person.

I cannot speak for standard CoC practices and expectations. But many congregations (across all denominations) have their own personality and do things in a manner convenient and comfortable for them.

Chances are that the non-Sunday morning services in most churches are less formal than Sunday morning. There might be more chance to interact with people at one of those services. A little trick I use sometimes in a new place is to look around and see who seems to be the most outgoing, makes eye contact with me and smiles, and then go sit someplace near them. Chances are someone like that might respond quickly and helpfully to questions and would strike up a conversation.

Reactions: Chanticleera
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,064.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Church of Christ -- I've been in about 400-500 services or so in my youth, in several locations, until my early twenties. Having also attended a variety of other churches many times each, Methodist, Catholic, even Pentecostal, and several others once or twice, I may be able to offer some perspective. We are currently in a Lutheran church for about 7 years now, which is sorta a Catholic church reformed.

In the typical Church of Christ, some bring bibles, but not necessarily most nor expected. Our 6pm service was usually a song service, but those missing communion in the morning could attend our chapel service that evening, which would usually have a few people (out of about 350 morning attendance, 200 evening), for a short service with communion. The Wednesday services I attended were just a shorter service usually, but not with communion. There were not any requirements or expectations around communion from others in the church at all back then, around 30 years ago, and I would not expect so now either. The idea is that you should simply believe and be baptized already. You aren't required to believe any particular thing about communion during communion, that is past truly believing in Christ, but instead the focus is on Christ's own words --"do this in remembrance of me", and they aim to do just exactly that as I understood it. It was quiet and thoughtful, and we were put in a mood of contemplation. You don't have to believe in a particular further idea one way or another, and no one would normally care to intrude on your own experience.

Regardless, one thing to look for in any church is that the people are doing "love one another" as Christ said they should. If they don't, then it would be best for you to find one that does.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Downhill Prevention!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Chanticleera,

So for the first time in twenty+ years I went to church. I almost talked myself out of it this morning, but I went. I liked it. I was too stressed to say I enjoyed it (social anxiety), but I think once I get more used to it I will. It was a Church of Christ, and one of the no-instrument types. I am totally cool with that. No doubt these very nice people would have been happy to answer my questions but I was WAY too stressed - and made a beeline for the door as soon as I figured the service was over. This means you people get to answer my questions, sorry. :)
It's great to hear that you took a brave step out into what can often feel like foreign social territory. :oldthumbsup: I admit that I get a bite nervous in those new situations too, whether at a church or a new class or whatever.

So, the CoC was a non-instrumental? That's fine. I happen to go to one that is instrumental; in fact, our music is...*ahem* a notch down from hard rock (not all of it, but much of it). Of course, some people like a church that offers a more tranquil social setting...so whatever you're comfortable with or enjoy most, Chanticleera. I'm just happy for you that you made that step out the door. It's not easy, I know. I've had times in my life where I was absent from any church for quite a number of years. But, anyway. Let's answer those questions of yours. ;)

Communion: I grew up in a catholic church. So when I realized they do the communion thing it caught me off guard. I declined to participate as I wasn't entirely sure of it all. I gathered there is no belief in transubstantion (I think thats how you spell it!), but am not sure entirely what it means in a Church of Christ. Enlighten me? Also, is it real wine? I can't stand the taste of alcohol, it will make me sick. I didn't notice if the kids took it or not.
While the exact protocol for communion might slightly vary from church to church in the CoC (or their sister branches within the RM...), many of them will tell you that you're welcome to share communion if you are a baptized believer already of some type. Some might balk if you were baptized as an infant...but, personally, if it were me as pastor (and I'm not), I'd just say that if you've been baptized and you believe, then join in.

As far as I know, RM churches don't use alchohol; it's always grape-juice and various styles of bread crumbs (not really crumbs, but that's what I think they look like). ;) So, some kids who have been baptized (I'm guessing they'd be age 6 and up or something) will be seen taking communion, too.

I saw a few people with Bibles, but not sure if everyone had one. Am I supposed to bring my Bible with me? Also, is it appropriate to take notes in a notebook? I used my phone today, not sure if that was a socially unacceptable thing to do. People probably thought I was texting lol.
I don't know about the need to bring a bible. Many people at my church don't bring one because the pastor usually puts all of his biblical citations on a power point while preaching and we can read the text. And others have their smart phone apps going in order to read the bible. I personally take my printed Bible just because it's an old habit and I like the feel of paper and printed text in my hands. So, I don't think your having a bible is expected, but if the church doesn't post the scriptures during the sermon, then it may make it more difficult to follow along. Whether or not they allow the use of smart-phone bible apps will depend on the local culture of that particular church, so you might have to ask someone there specifically.

Is the six pm service the same type of thing as the 10am? Also, the Wednesday one? Not sure if I can go to that one this Wednesday but figured I would check.
Typically, the 6pm service (if they have it, not all do) will be a time for bible-study groups or small groups that meet socially in various homes. Wednesdays? That's typically short bible study.

Also, it seems there was a check-in I missed. They said something about guest cards. Is there a special place most churches have them in, or do I need to ask for them?
That's usually optional. Most of these churches offer it so they can better see who is a visitor and who might need to be greeted more properly, etc. Some churches have 'help desk personnel' to greet you and answer questions.

Thanks for your help!
Anyway, again, I'm glad to hear you went. If you have more questions, ask away!! :cool:

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey you are making steps and in it self is the start for seekers. It is a wonderful thing.

Now people may have answered this already, but if I could put forth some answers to your questions, it could reinforce what others here said already as I didn't read the other posts.

You are right in thinking that churches of Christ do not believe in transubstantiation. We believe the "bread" and "wine" to be symbolic, "do this in remembrance" of Jesus sacrifice on the cross.

We also find in scripture that it is to be done every first day of the week, Sunday, as scripture has confirmed for us.

It is not real wine. The Greek word for wine is a generic word that is used for non alcoholic or alcoholic. In the sense of communion, it is grape juice. I will let you ask the congregation you are now attending to give you a more in depth study on this. I feel that would be a wonderful start for you to get to know them is by studying with them.

You are also right in not taking it if you don't know about communion and its reasoning since taking communion in an unworthy manner is stated to condemn one self.

We have people that use tablets since we have a wifi connection for people. See, we stream live so that our homebound members who cannot attend do to physicality issues among other reasons. There should be no issue with this. I think its wonderful because our minister has taken Koine Greek and spouts it out, so me, not having a Greek concordance, use blueletterbible app on the iphone to see if what he says is true. "test the spirits".

Yes, except for the fact that many of the churches of Christ that offer the night service, use it more of a "study" style session, in which you can interrupt and ask questions about what you are going over that night. It is a perfect chance for one to ask away and learn while the sermon is proceeding.

We also do Monday nights as pure study and questions and Wednesday as a sermon style again like Sunday night, were one can ask questions while the sermon proceeds.

Ours has a little podium at the door entrance where people pick up the sermon guide and minutes of the day. Also it is where we put our guest sign in.

On the back of the pew benches we have our guest cards to sign also with the bibles, song books, papers and pencils for notes if one chooses so.

Maybe ask them if you didn't see them.

Absolutely go for it. Get to know the congregation. Ask questions. Get involved. Study with them. This is how a christian grows and non christians learn to become christians.

I left out scriptural verses on purpose. I figure you can use this information and ask question for the congregation you now attend.

I congratulate you once more for this marvelous step.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,064.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey you are making steps and in it self is the start for seekers. It is a wonderful thing.

Now people may have answered this already, but if I could put forth some answers to your questions, it could reinforce what others here said already as I didn't read the other posts.

You are right in thinking that churches of Christ do not believe in transubstantiation. We believe the "bread" and "wine" to be symbolic, "do this in remembrance" of Jesus sacrifice on the cross.

We also find in scripture that it is to be done every first day of the week, Sunday, as scripture has confirmed for us.

It is not real wine. The Greek word for wine is a generic word that is used for non alcoholic or alcoholic. In the sense of communion, it is grape juice. I will let you ask the congregation you are now attending to give you a more in depth study on this. I feel that would be a wonderful start for you to get to know them is by studying with them.

You are also right in not taking it if you don't know about communion and its reasoning since taking communion in an unworthy manner is stated to condemn one self.

We have people that use tablets since we have a wifi connection for people. See, we stream live so that our homebound members who cannot attend do to physicality issues among other reasons. There should be no issue with this. I think its wonderful because our minister has taken Koine Greek and spouts it out, so me, not having a Greek concordance, use blueletterbible app on the iphone to see if what he says is true. "test the spirits".

Yes, except for the fact that many of the churches of Christ that offer the night service, use it more of a "study" style session, in which you can interrupt and ask questions about what you are going over that night. It is a perfect chance for one to ask away and learn while the sermon is proceeding.

We also do Monday nights as pure study and questions and Wednesday as a sermon style again like Sunday night, were one can ask questions while the sermon proceeds.

Ours has a little podium at the door entrance where people pick up the sermon guide and minutes of the day. Also it is where we put our guest sign in.

On the back of the pew benches we have our guest cards to sign also with the bibles, song books, papers and pencils for notes if one chooses so.

Maybe ask them if you didn't see them.

Absolutely go for it. Get to know the congregation. Ask questions. Get involved. Study with them. This is how a christian grows and non christians learn to become christians.

I left out scriptural verses on purpose. I figure you can use this information and ask question for the congregation you now attend.

I congratulate you once more for this marvelous step.

It's good to keep in mind how diverse people's views are. I've found in hundreds of conversations that believers in every church have a wide range of different beliefs on most any topic you ask about (not just on one or two topics, but really almost any topic).

But unlike discussing something like Genesis chapter 1, where we know it does not matter to salvation how old a person thinks the Earth is, this topic of communion is vastly more precious for us as Christians, and I don't want to pry much into the sacred space of what people believe too closely! It would be sinful to argue with someone on this!

I'm just reporting to you that in talking to hundreds of people in many churches, I never found any church where the people mostly thought all the same thing past only the most simple basic things, like that Christ rose (and of course, there will even be some variation even on this if you talk to enough people and they are honest, since some come merely from tradition and not from belief). Past the most basic beliefs though, viewpoints are widely diverse in actual reality, if you are a friendly listener who does not judge, and they open up and say their honest thoughts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello friend!

It's good to keep in mind how diverse people's views are. I've found in hundreds of conversations that believers in every church have a wide range of different beliefs on most any topic you ask about (not just on one or two topics, but really almost any topic).

Oh boy do I know this, yes, it is very diverse. That's the problem though. Churches are not suppose to be diverse like it is now days. Did you know there are over 200,000 different religions? And when I say religions, I include for example, baptists and methodists, as separate in that 200,000 estimate.

#1--Jesus prayed for unity John 17:20-23

#2--There should only be "one" church, that is Christs church, the church of Christ Romans 16:16; Matthew 16:18-19; Acts 2:38,41,47; Ephesians 4:4-6; Colossians 1:13 and 18; Romans 12; 1 Corinthians 12

#3--Paul was very clear in warnings that people would turn from truth and make for themselves doctrines of men, which are not from the teachings of Christ or what the gospel has in it 1 Timothy 4:1-2; 2 Timothy 4:3-4; 2 Thessalonians 1:8-9; in addition to what even Jesus said in Mark 7:6-7, just to name a few.

#4--Denomination, the root word and not the watered down modern definition to make people feel good, means "separate and apart from the original". Therefore, for example, baptists are separate and apart from the original. 1 Corinthians 1:12 and 3:4, basically, churches like methodist or baptist are established by men not Christ, teaching like you said the very basics as the gospel would have, but then separate with man made doctrines such as "faith only" and "once saved always saved". Before the 15th century, there were no "faith only" churches or "once saved always saved" churches. There was no baptist, methodist, pentecostal, etc, etc, etc. They are established by men, not recognized by our Lord and Savior, and not in unity with Christ and the "one body" spoken of in Ephesians 4:4-5; Romans 12; 1 Corinthians 12.

I know all too well the unfortunate and diverse beliefs that should not be so. Its not from my own interpretation either as I can clearly see the unmistakable writing of scripture. Scripture makes the wording quite clear.

But unlike discussing something like Genesis chapter 1, where we know it does not matter to salvation how old a person thinks the Earth is, this topic of communion is vastly more precious for us as Christians, and I don't want to pry much into the sacred space of what people believe too closely! It would be sinful to argue with someone on this!

I agree and disagree at the same time. We are no longer under the OT laws since Christs death, burial, and resurrection from the cross, but the OT is still important for us to study even today.

Lets take Revelations for example. It is because of the lack of knowledge and symbolism used in Revelations that creates false doctrines like premillennealism for example. The book of Revelations pulls so heavily from the OT it would make your head spin. With over 390 allusions to the OT and out of the 404 verses in the book over 340 are from the OT books, it would behoove everyone to know exactly what OT scripture says to correctly understand Revelations as not really pertaining to OUR future, except for the fact that Christ has not come yet. Let us also not escape the fact that the OT shows many attributes of God that support the NT. Many, many things can be taught still from the OT to apply and understand the NT.

So, in the very basic of ways, I agree that the age of the earth is not going to matter really for salvation, but at the same time I disagree since from the lack of knowledge, a person can apply false ideas to other sections of the bible that could affect ones salvation down the line eventually.

Have a wonderful day my friend.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,064.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, in the very basic of ways, I agree that the age of the earth is not going to matter really for salvation, but at the same time I disagree since from the lack of knowledge, a person can apply false ideas to other sections of the bible that could affect ones salvation down the line eventually.

We largely agree.

Christ tells what 'affects salvation down the line eventually' --

Look and see:

24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”

As you can see, this alone is the rock.

Thus, nothing else is.

Can you see it? A dozen, or 50, misinterpretations and wrong ideas about the OT won't matter, according to His Word.

But what matters is hearing and doing His Words.

Right?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thedictator

Retired Coach, Now Missionary to the World
Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
[COLOR=#ff0000 said:
[/COLOR]
"Chanticleera, post: 71514453, member: 386814"]
I have been a member of the Churches of Christ for almost 40 years, so if you have any other questions please come here and ask them.
So for the first time in twenty+ years I went to church. I almost talked myself out of it this morning, but I went. I liked it. I was too stressed to say I enjoyed it (social anxiety), but I think once I get more used to it I will. It was a Church of Christ, and one of the no-instrument types. There is a doctrinal reason we do not use instruments but at this point it is not important. I am totally cool with that. No doubt these very nice people would have been happy to answer my questions Yes most people in our churches are loving and friendly and would love to answer your questions. but I was WAY too stressed - and made a beeline for the door as soon as I figured the service was over. This means you people get to answer my questions, sorry. :) Not a problem at all. Ask away??

Communion: I grew up in a catholic church. So when I realized they do the communion thing it caught me off guard. I declined to participate as I wasn't entirely sure of it all. I gathered there is no belief in transubstantion Yes we do not believe that. (I think thats how you spell it!), but am not sure entirely what it means in a Church of Christ. It is a time when we can commune with Christ spiritually. The bread is unleavened, the wine is non-alcoholic most of the time, there are some that use real wine most are not in the United States. Enlighten me? Also, is it real wine? I can't stand the taste of alcohol, it will make me sick. I didn't notice if the kids took it or not. There are no restrictions on communion for visitors, Christians members are to be baptized. So baptized children do take communion. We do have some restrictions about baptism, we do not see sprinkling and infant baptism as valid.

I saw a few people with Bibles, but not sure if everyone had one. Most churches do have Bibles in the pews for visitors. Am I supposed to bring my Bible with me? No Also, is it appropriate to take notes in a notebook? Yes, a lot of churches have outlines for you to take notes with, and a program for worship just ask someone. I used my phone today, not sure if that was a socially unacceptable thing to do. yes, that is appropriate, many people do that. People probably thought I was texting lol.

Is the six pm service the same type of thing as the 10am? Most are more casual in dress and form Also, the Wednesday one? This usually a time for Bible study classes. Not sure if I can go to that one this Wednesday but figured I would check.

Also, it seems there was a check-in I missed. They said something about guest cards. Most of the time there in the pews. Is there a special place most churches have them in, or do I need to ask for them? Need to ask.

Thanks for your help!

If you have more questions please ask.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Thedictator

Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello friend!
Oh boy do I know this, yes, it is very diverse. That's the problem though. Churches are not suppose to be diverse like it is now days. Did you know there are over 200,000 different religions? And when I say religions, I include for example, baptists and methodists, as separate in that 200,000 estimate.

We can have diversity of thought without having divisiveness. Divisiveness comes from pride and selfishness not diversity. We can have a diversity of songs that can be sung in worship, but some people think that what they think and want is the only way to do it. I have seen churches split over a song book, it had nothing to do with diversity but everything to do with pride. There are doctrines that we can not compromise like Salvation, Baptism, Faith, but we can compromise on the time for Sunday school, or the color of walls or floor.

Upvote 0

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We can have diversity of thought without having divisiveness. Divisiveness comes from pride and selfishness not diversity. We can have a diversity of songs that can be sung in worship, but some people think that what they think and want is the only way to do it. I have seen churches split over a song book, it had nothing to do with diversity but everything to do with pride.

Oh yea, totally agreed. My intent on the mention of "diversity" was about doctrinal issues on what the gospel says.

I've seen such things, you are talking about, happen as well over thermostats, among other things. Just sad.

There are doctrines that we can not compromise like Salvation, Baptism, Faith, but we can compromise on the time for Sunday school, or the color of walls or floor.

Totally agreed.

BTW, it's been a bit, glad to see you around and seemingly well. Always a pleasure to speak with you good sir.

Upvote 0

Thedictator

Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oh yea, totally agreed. My intent on the mention of "diversity" was about doctrinal issues on what the gospel says.

I've seen such things, you are talking about, happen as well over thermostats, among other things. Just sad.

Totally agreed.

BTW, it's been a bit, glad to see you around and seemingly well. Always a pleasure to speak with you good sir.

You too, I hope the Lord has been good to you and yours ? I have been doing some missionary work so I have not been on here for some time. Glad to be back.

Upvote 0

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You too, I hope the Lord has been good to you and yours ? I have been doing some missionary work so I have not been on here for some time. Glad to be back.

Nice, well then I am happy for your return. Going out to "plant that seed" is just all in a day's expected work for a Christian.

We are good over here. We've been trying to update our local and extended outreach. Updated our website so it can handle mobile users and install systems that allow live stream and saved videos for our physically home bound members and anyone seeking out Christ. I, being the only technical one in the congregation, have been a bit busy getting everything in order to the specs we need. All in all, very blessed to be able and capable to do this type of outreach with such a small congregation.

Upvote 0

Thedictator

Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wow, that is great. I have been looking for something for our home bound members, we do take communion to them on Sunday. We are about 150 members. What size is your congregation? Also we just hired a new youth minister. We did not have one for about 5 years but we have a lot of pre-teens coming up that we need a youth minister. Do you guys go to LTC (Leadership Training for Christ) somewhere? or something like it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow, that is great. I have been looking for something for our home bound members, we do take communion to them on Sunday. We are about 150 members. What size is your congregation? Also we just hired a new youth minister. We did not have one for about 5 years but we have a lot of pre-teens coming up that we need a youth minister. Do you guys go to LTC (Leadership Training for Christ) somewhere? or something like it?

We have about 15 solid members that show up every meet we do to worship the Lord and about 21-24 total. We have 3 home bound members we take fellowship to. We are also at a vital point of area were we see traveling church of Christ members quite frequently.

We use to do VBS but do to a loss of members and children, stopped that. Never done LTC but I, among the other members, have studied either through Bear Valley or WVBS (world video bible school). There is also a yearly christian convention in Lake Tahoe USA that some members attend as well. I haven't had a chance to do the convention yet, but one day I would really like to go.

Upvote 0