Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So in my quest to un-mess everything from my childhood and (God help my) teenage and beyond years, I today took James 5:16 and ran with it. Or, rather, walked with it, it's hot and I'm a large man and I had no money for parking...

Basically, I grew up in a Baptist church and am going there right now, but almost everyone I knew from high-school that I could trust with a confession is no longer here. So, what's a man to do? Wait around? I've confessed things before with ministers and with professionals, and I know it can be helpful. I've used another Catholic church before for solo bible study, so this wasn't that great of a leap.

Basically it was pretty similar as the movies. He asked if I was a Catholic, but it was okay that I wasn't; I said some things that I would want only some very understanding parties to hear, and he said I was forgiven, which is spiritually true in at least one sense, if not many, so it was good to hear. He gave me a penance task, which I was looking for.

I have to say, after confession I felt... not great, and not overwhelmed with emotion, but I think I felt... better, in a deep way, and I very clearly felt like this was where I wanted to be and, like, as if in a moderate way, there were a divine aspect to this.

If you thought like I once did about Catholics (when I was young, impressionable, and didn't pay attention well in church), you may find it absurd of me to go to a Catholic church, but even if they don't believe the same things as us, they still believe in Jesus and still preach a Bible, be it a bit longer than ours.

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you sure he didn't just bless you (which he would be right to do)? I'm glad that you're finding the Church helpful to you, but if he offered you "absolution", he violated Canon Law.
I don't know about canon law and have never heard this.
Could you supply something written?
If not it's OK. I have other sources (like a priest, for instance)
But some of them, these days, are not paying much attention to laws.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So in my quest to un-mess everything from my childhood and (God help my) teenage and beyond years, I today took James 5:16 and ran with it. Or, rather, walked with it, it's hot and I'm a large man and I had no money for parking...

Basically, I grew up in a Baptist church and am going there right now, but almost everyone I knew from high-school that I could trust with a confession is no longer here. So, what's a man to do? Wait around? I've confessed things before with ministers and with professionals, and I know it can be helpful. I've used another Catholic church before for solo bible study, so this wasn't that great of a leap.

Basically it was pretty similar as the movies. He asked if I was a Catholic, but it was okay that I wasn't; I said some things that I would want only some very understanding parties to hear, and he said I was forgiven, which is spiritually true in at least one sense, if not many, so it was good to hear. He gave me a penance task, which I was looking for.

I have to say, after confession I felt... not great, and not overwhelmed with emotion, but I think I felt... better, in a deep way, and I very clearly felt like this was where I wanted to be and, like, as if in a moderate way, there were a divine aspect to this.

If you thought like I once did about Catholics (when I was young, impressionable, and didn't pay attention well in church), you may find it absurd of me to go to a Catholic church, but even if they don't believe the same things as us, they still believe in Jesus and still preach a Bible, be it a bit longer than ours.
I'm a little bit surprised he gave you penance to do. The priests I know aren't doing this these days. Of course I don't know EVERY priest!
Was it prayers or did it have to do with the situation?
No need to divulge more, of course.

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't know about canon law and have never heard this.
Could you supply something written?
If not it's OK. I have other sources (like a priest, for instance)
But some of them, these days, are not paying much attention to laws.
The priest would have violated Canon 844 paragraph 1, which says
Catholic ministers administer the sacraments licitly to Catholic members of the Christian faithful alone.
Paragraph 4 of the same law offers the times a non-Catholic may receive the sacrament, but since they didn't mention being in danger of death, I'm guessing it wouldn't have applied:

Non-Catholics may receive Catholic sacraments only if there is a danger of death or a grave necessity and they fulfill all of the following conditions (CIC 844 §4):
  1. Cannot approach a minister of their own community​
  2. Seek the sacrament(s) on their own accord​
  3. Manifest Catholic faith in respect to the sacraments being sought​
  4. Are properly disposed to receive the sacrament(s)​

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The OP here said that the priest told our friend that he was forgiven. It did not say that the priest absolved him of his sins.

It may well be that the priest simply reassured him that, because he was making a confession of his sins (sacramentally or not), that God certainly had heard and forgiven him, just as if he had done his confessing and praying at his beside.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The priest would have violated Canon 844 paragraph 1, which says
Catholic ministers administer the sacraments licitly to Catholic members of the Christian faithful alone.
Paragraph 4 of the same law offers the times a non-Catholic may receive the sacrament, but since they didn't mention being in danger of death, I'm guessing it wouldn't have applied:

Non-Catholics may receive Catholic sacraments only if there is a danger of death or a grave necessity and they fulfill all of the following conditions (CIC 844 §4):
  1. Cannot approach a minister of their own community​
  2. Seek the sacrament(s) on their own accord​
  3. Manifest Catholic faith in respect to the sacraments being sought​
  4. Are properly disposed to receive the sacrament(s)​
Thanks!

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
The OP here said that the priest told our friend that he was forgiven. It did not say that the priest absolved him of his sins.

It may well be that the priest simply reassured him that, because he was making a confession of his sins (sacramentally or not), that God certainly had heard and forgiven him, just as if he had done his confessing and praying at his beside.
I'm hesitant to draw a line between forgiveness and absolution. It sounds like the priest did something he couldn't licitly do.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm hesitant to draw a line between forgiveness and absolution. It sounds like the priest did something he couldn't licitly do.

This is interesting. Helpful, too. Am considering confession in the next couple of weeks, though my situation is different. @Dropout_Theologian , God bless you!

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

That's kind of how I understood it.

An Orthodox priest would have allowed him to "confess" but would have told him it wasn't sacramental. He wouldn't have read the prayers. But I am sure he would have suggested anything that might be helpful (we don't have "penance" in that sense but are often given advice which may include being told to do something) ...

And I would imagine he would be willing to assure him that God heard his confession. It is after all God who forgives. I'm not positive on the theology of Catholics in this regard in every detail. But it does make sense (IMO) to tell him God forgives.

I hope I don't offend anyone by sharing. I once was Baptist but have never been Catholic. We do however practice confession.

Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do know the doctrine!
To make confession complete the priest must give absolution.
He is declaring that God has forgiven the penitent... At the moment of saying the words:

God the Father of mercies, through the death and resurrection of his Son has reconciled the world to himself and sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins; through the ministry of the Church may God give you pardon and peace, and I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

These words must be spoken.

A priest may also withhold absolution under certain circumstances.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian

So as an act of contrition, how many times did they require you to pray to Mary to complete you forgiveness? (And many times I've asked Catholics what the formula the priest uses to determine how man "Our Father"s" and how many "Hail Mary's" to pray, but never got a response) Interesting that they have you pray to Mary, but not to Jesus. Just sayin.

• Friendly
Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's kind of how I understood it.

An Orthodox priest would have allowed him to "confess" but would have told him it wasn't sacramental. He wouldn't have read the prayers. But I am sure he would have suggested anything that might be helpful (we don't have "penance" in that sense but are often given advice which may include being told to do something) ...

And I would imagine he would be willing to assure him that God heard his confession. It is after all God who forgives. I'm not positive on the theology of Catholics in this regard in every detail. But it does make sense (IMO) to tell him God forgives.

I hope I don't offend anyone by sharing. I once was Baptist but have never been Catholic. We do however practice confession.
Venial sins can be forgiven by addressing God directly. The church does recommend to go to confession at least once a year in any case, preferably during Easter time, Lent.
There is also a time, at the beginning of each Mass, where the entire congregation asks God's forgiveness for venial sins.

Mortal sins must be confessed to a priest.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So as an act of contrition, how many times did they require you to pray to Mary to complete you forgiveness? (And many times I've asked Catholics what the formula the priest uses to determine how man "Our Father"s" and how many "Hail Mary's" to pray, but never got a response) Interesting that they have you pray to Mary, but not to Jesus. Just sayin.
There is no set formula. Each priest has his own "formula".
Many priests just address the situation and give advice -- not all priests give prayers to say.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Venial sins can be forgiven by addressing God directly. The church does recommend to go to confession at least once a year in any case, preferably during Easter time, Lent.
There is also a time, at the beginning of each Mass, where the entire congregation asks God's forgiveness for venial sins.

Mortal sins must be confessed to a priest.
Ah yes.

We don't have the sorts of structures and differentiation of rules like that. I had forgotten.

I deleted the rest of what I was going to reply, sorry. I don't want to turn this thread into something it wasn't meant to be. :)

I for one am just glad that the OP found a means to benefit himself spiritually. That is always something to celebrate.

I hope you don't catch too much criticism for it, @Dropout_Theologian God be with you and help you. :)

• Agree
Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0