Central New York
Visit site
✟26,728.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
and I am not sorry.

Two young Mormons just came up to the door. We saw them coming up the walk and my kids egged me on to do something funny.

I opened the door and said; "Oh! Hi! Are you here to bid on the lawn mowing job?"

They said; "No. We are with the Church of Jesus Christ"

I said; "Then you want to discuss the Book of Mormon with me?"

"Yes" they eagerly answered.

"Will you come in and pray the Rosary with me first?" I asked. The younger one hesitated and started to say yes.

The older one looked at me coldly and said, flatly and emphatically, "No." I said; "Well Ta-Ta then" and closed the door. My kids about died at this exchange.

I wish they had said yes to the Rosary.

FriendlyJosh

Jan 12, 2011
✟11,056.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's unfortunate the mormon cult is misleading so many. The younger person doesn't even sound like they fully understand what mormonism is about :\ Hopefully they come to find The Lord, and while i'm not trying to ruin this thread by being negative, personally I don't find this type of stuff to be a joking manner but I can understand how others do. I think when mormons feel insults or belittled, just like anyone else it may strengthen their resolve and belief in the mormon cult and that's counter productive IMHO. The same seems to go when Christians are telling atheists they could go to hell if they don't find The Lord, that seems to push them further away, in fact the only Christians and ex-atheist i've heard talk about helping to/or being converted was by love. Atheists saw how loving Christians were and it touched them and because The Lord is love they drew near God until they come to know the truth and converted. So I think love is the most powerful gift The Lord has blessed everyone with. Mockery just drives people towards the wrong type of things, like the desire for revenge, hatred etc...

Upvote 0

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Nashville, TN ( Music City )
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
and I am not sorry.

Two young Mormons just came up to the door. We saw them coming up the walk and my kids egged me on to do something funny.

I opened the door and said; "Oh! Hi! Are you here to bid on the lawn mowing job?"

"Will you come in and pray the Rosary with me first?" I asked. The younger one hesitated and started to say yes.

The older one looked at me coldly and said, flatly and emphatically, "No." I said; "Well Ta-Ta then" and closed the door. My kids about died at this exchange.

I had the same visit today. Must be they all go on the same day.

Upvote 0

G-Com

Traditional Catholic
Nov 7, 2008
Trenton, OH
✟17,122.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
^_^ ^_^ ^_^

I've had dealings with Mormons and JW's.

I just tell them I'm Catholic. One guy (a Jehovah's Witness) said that the Catholic Church was invented "sometime in the seventh or eighth century I think." I corrected him, citing St. Ignatius of Antioch's use of the Greek word "katholikos" in 107 AD.

I've tried to explain to Mormons the problems with the founding of their religion, too (such as its clearly Masonic-based rites.) No one will listen. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink. :|

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
and I am not sorry.

Tis the season where the mormons must do their local missionary work before taking the missionary trip.

It did not sound rude really. Just funny. :)

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If you had asked them to mow your lawn for you, I bet they would. (The missionaries by me are always asking me if they can do something for me. I should ask them to say a Rosary with me instead of just saying "no".

But actually, I do feel sorry for them. Their whole life, parents and all their friends pressure the boys to become missionaries. It's a unpaid two year stint (usually right after high school) and they must follow so many restrictions--can't do this and can't do that (I don't even think they are allowed to read newspapers or watch the news). Besides Sunday when they *must* go to their three hour services, they only have one day off from pounding the sidewalk and that's reserved for doing laundry, writing a letter to their parents and preparing for the next week.

Upvote 0

Brooklyn Knight

On a narrow road but not narrow minded
Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
We only have Jehovah's Witnesses. It's easy to tell who it is ringing the doorbell because no one comes over our house at 10 in the morning on a Saturday.

However, my mom is sometimes really cordial with them: She'll invite them in and offer them sweets and coffee or tea. Sometimes the talks aren't even religious in nature, sometimes they are...and when they are, it's a lopsided debate.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I never get any Mormons here :( I believe i see two diligent young men roaming the nearest large town - and not the small town where we live. [really small - 2000 people in this rural area].
It's the JW's who are the frequent flyers. One would think i would be off the list since i make them run fairly fast off the property - yet they keep coming. :D

I say - bring them in the house and ask them questions... like - o why did St John say Anathema to the angels who would bring another Gospel besides the one they preached - and wrote [of course]

:crossrc:
JW's hate that one - because of Ellen White - 7th Day - which led to Charles Russell breaking off to form JW's. [etc]...and surely Mormons would loathe it.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'll really throw 'em for a loop since I'm converting to Holy Orthodoxy. They've probably never heard of it. I'll ask them how they feel about troparions, kontakions, antidiron, trisagions, and Mt. Athos! :p:crosseo:

I'll pray in slavonic to 'em and scare 'em right back to Utah! ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟804,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I've known some JWs and even though I feel sorry for them, I won't let them come inside to "talk" anymore. Because their doctrine is totally off and it's a lie. (Their bible has been radically altered.) I know they are basically blackmailed into going door-to-door by the JW Organization. They threaten to shun them to the point that their own families will refuse to speak to them. They'll lose all their life-long friends too. So, there's a tremendous amount of pressure placed on people to do as they're told in these cults. But, I just can't handle listening to the lies they tell as far as Jesus and the Word.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I like it when the Zmormons come, they are generally good people and very kind.

My hetero-life mate was raised Mormon, and is now agnostic. He is a fine scientist and a beat man. Although he quit the LDS gig, he recalls to the work he did as a missionary fondly and with pride. He occasionally asks whe Catholic young adults do so little. I wish I had an answer. Their Church is false, but their faith is real and we could learn a lot from the way the conduct themselves.

Upvote 0

Brooklyn Knight

On a narrow road but not narrow minded
Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Although he quit the LDS gig, he recalls to the work he did as a missionary fondly and with pride. He occasionally asks whe Catholic young adults do so little. I wish I had an answer. Their Church is false, but their faith is real and we could learn a lot from the way the conduct themselves.

Missionary work isn't "forced" upon us: If we don't want to do it, we don't do it, and we don't get the looks or "talks" if we don't.

You don't need to hop onto a plane or boat to help others: You've got homeless shelters, soup kitchens, you can donate money to various charities which can aid people Stateside and elsewhere in the world, and you already have Catholic missionary work in the world.

Two parishes here almost always have a food or clothing drive.

Upvote 0

Humble Pie

Veteran
Jan 25, 2012
✟18,161.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I doubt the missionary work is forced on young Mormons. Where are they all? We've been in this house 25 years and only two ever came by over and over for about 2 years and that was over 10 years ago. They were nice young men, clean as a whistle driving a fancy car (a Ferrari? belonging to one's mother). Now I only very occasionally see Mormon missionaries around town on their bikes but they never drop in. Yet I live in a town of over 100 000 with a Mormon church with a decent sized congregation. I don't think that many do the missionary work they're known for.
Same with the JWs, where are they? It's been about 2 years now.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
and I am not sorry.

I really don't think inviting someone to pray the Rosary with you is rude, even if they are Mormon.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟275,937.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I was about 16 or so, I was at home with my Dad, and we had some JW's come to the door. They asked my Dad if they could come in and discuss some Scripture with us; Dad replied, "You know what? My pastor is here at the moment---come on in, and we'll all discuss some Scripture!" Then he turned around and called over his shoulder, "Hey, Father?" He turned back around and the JW's were scrambling back to their car.

Dad walked back to the kitchen table, (where I had watched this exchange through the window) and I said ,"What was that all about?", and he said, "Those Jehoveyites are absoltuely terrified of tangling with a Catholic priest. They'll do anything to avoid getting into a theological debate with one."

And Dad wasn't even Catholic---Mom was. :)

Uh, Mike? Define "hetero-life mate ". ???????

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I've known some JWs and even though I feel sorry for them, I won't let them come inside to "talk" anymore. Because their doctrine is totally off and it's a lie. (Their bible has been radically altered.) I know they are basically blackmailed into going door-to-door by the JW Organization. They threaten to shun them to the point that their own families will refuse to speak to them. They'll lose all their life-long friends too. So, there's a tremendous amount of pressure placed on people to do as they're told in these cults. But, I just can't handle listening to the lies they tell as far as Jesus and the Word.
i have to say - i never listened - i tell them what i have been told they believe and i answer it.

I get a lot of um...er...uh... well...uh...

They cannot argue on their own beliefs - i know them - dated a JW. Who failed at the attempt to convert me. His way of winning - was breaking up with me til i converted...i did miss him tho. ;)

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
When I was about 16 or so, I was at home with my Dad, and we had some JW's come to the door. They asked my Dad if they could come in and discuss some Scripture with us; Dad replied, "You know what? My pastor is here at the moment---come on in, and we'll all discuss some Scripture!" Then he turned around and called over his shoulder, "Hey, Father?" He turned back around and the JW's were scrambling back to their car.

Dad walked back to the kitchen table, (where I had watched this exchange through the window) and I said ,"What was that all about?", and he said, "Those Jehoveyites are absoltuely terrified of tangling with a Catholic priest. They'll do anything to avoid getting into a theological debate with one."

And Dad wasn't even Catholic---Mom was. :)

Uh, Mike? Define "hetero-life mate ". ???????
^_^

Good one.
I prefer inviting them in unless i am too busy.

:thumbsup: i am up for it usually. Except the last one who came was an old lady with a cane. i should have spoken to except i was in my pj's.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I doubt the missionary work is forced on young Mormons. Where are they all? We've been in this house 25 years and only two ever came by over and over for about 2 years and that was over 10 years ago. They were nice young men, clean as a whistle driving a fancy car (a Ferrari? belonging to one's mother). Now I only very occasionally see Mormon missionaries around town on their bikes but they never drop in. Yet I live in a town of over 100 000 with a Mormon church with a decent sized congregation. I don't think that many do the missionary work they're known for.
Same with the JWs, where are they? It's been about 2 years now.

Mormonism is actually an American religion. (It was founded by a boy in New York state who was known for telling great stories. ;) They really believe that the Garden of Eden is in America!) For various reasons (their practice of polygamy was one big one that the state of Illinois took offense at) the people that embraced the LDS religion were forced to leave the various states where they tried to settle until they finally embarked on a trek to Salt Lake City, Utah. (At the time Utah wasn't a state so they could practice polygamy, but when Utah wanted to join the United States, the LDS had a revelation that they no longer had to practice polygamy and anyone who did so would be excommunicated from the LDS.)

Anyway, they are mainly in Utah and have branched out from there. In some of the Western states of the United States the population is great--it can be called the "Mormon Belt". Right now I live in a state in the "Mormon Belt" and I regularly get Mormon missionaries. (One of their ward houses for Sunday worship is only a mile or less from me.) But when I lived in other states I didn't see *any*.

Because of where I live (and other reasons) I know for a *fact* that the boys are pressured to be Missionaries (if they have to leave their two years early, the parents see it as a failure.) Missionaries are called "Elder", but they are probably only 19 years old. The girls (called "Sister" are pressured to marry (hopefully a Missionary) in their Temple (there are probably over 100 in the U.S. now) and are only allowed to be missionaries if they aren't married by age 23. (Of course neither the boys or the girls are allowed to be missionaries once married except I've heard of elderly couples....)

And yes they are very polite and very conservative. It's in their Articles of Faith to adhere to the laws of the land.

Upvote 0