• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I was rejected by seminary and am falling apart since

Mitchy Slacks

May 14, 2015
✟15,484.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
About six weeks ago I received a rejection letter from the seminary I applied to. I didn't even know seminaries rejected people. They didn't give me anything more than a cookie-cutter, CYA reason, which I consider to be pretty damn insulting, especially coming from what is supposed to be one of the top seminaries in America. What frustrates me the most is the whole time every person that was helping me through the process assured me that I had nothing to worry about, and that the seminary definitely wanted me there, and then it turns out they definitely DON'T want me there.

Since then I have relapsed on all of the addictions that I had worked so hard to control through prayer and determination. I have yet to find a church that I fit in with the members - church-goers in my area don't seem too accepting of single, childless 39-year old radicals who want more out of life than the usual 6-days-a-week wordly capitalism/1-day-a-week Christian mindset. So now I sit here struggling to control deep anger and resentment towards the people who are supposed to be my allies, while also turning my life away from the friends who were agnostics, atheists, and "non-religious" Christians who essentially don't see a relationship with God as having any sort of meaningful impact on human life.

I pray and pray and pray that God will help me. I have no job and am almost completely out of money. I struggle with both addictions and medical problems. I ask specifically for the energy to get out and do whatever it is God wants me to do. What else am I supposed to ask for? Isn't the only thing we are supposed to care about in this life is what he wants? How can he deny my plea for help when I specifically ask him for help in the one thing that matters?

If God cannot help someone that specifically asks him for help in fulfilling His will, then it pretty much turns on edge the entire point of the Bible. It's not like I'm praying for more money or more things or a wife or anything. Am I just supposed to assume that his will must therefore be that I continue to suffer until my funds are completely exhausted, and I am homeless wandering the streets of my city?

If John 14:6 is true, and a relationship with Jesus is all that we need, then why is my life continuing to fall apart, despite my pleas for him to help me? [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] am I not doing right?

Cracklin Rose

May 2, 2015
✟261.00
Faith
Christian
im sorry you got rejected - rejection is a very painful experience :(

try not to sweat it too much, lotta times in life things don't work out how we want, i have had many dreams that have been crushed beyond recovery but time heals eventually. i hope you can find something else to help you cope.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Keep in mind that Jesus was rejected as well, not only rejected but also killed. I know that God works through rejection and personal weakness to glorify His name - please don't loose faith in Him and let go of the pain and hurt others have caused you, so that you can flourish as a believer once again.

Upvote 0

Cracklin Rose

May 2, 2015
✟261.00
Faith
Christian
Keep in mind that Jesus was rejected as well, not only rejected but also killed. I know that God works through rejection and personal weakness to glorify His name - please don't loose faith in Him and let go of the pain and hurt others have caused you, so that you can flourish as a believer once again.

Yep, also it's frustrating when you get rejected by people who say and believe they are christians and doing the right thing but in your heart you know that they are wicked. and same thing happened to jesus he was setup and killed by people who at the time were considered followers and teachers of god.

and even now in 2015 the same thing happens everyday, there is still so much corruption in the church which is why i follow my heart and what god tells me instead of people.

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Thank you all for the words of support. May God bless all those with struggles.
Hi,
As far as I think and feel, you should go to any other Seminary. There is no one best seminary. There are some which are horrible, I have been told, but the issue is this and this only. "Are you, or is God calling you to be a priest?" That's it. And if it's you then don't do it. If it's God, pick another Seminary, any Seminary.
LOVE,
...MARY., .... .

• Agree
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

Mitchy Slacks

May 14, 2015
✟15,484.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Are you, or is God calling you to be a priest?" That's it. And if it's you then don't do it.

Good point. All along I figured it was God's calling, but maybe it really wasn't. The rejection could have been a blessing. Maybe all rejection is a blessing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

look4hope

Love.Fellowship.Joy
Angels Team
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Dec 6, 2012
Somewhere in Jersey
✟382,922.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Hello friend.

Rejection...ah yes...there is not sugar coating rejections of any kind. I am praying for you to find that moment in life when there's clarity for the present, and the future.
So many of us are going through some serious confusing times, but giving in to all things that destroys our spirits, should be not the last resort.

Please keep faith and hope. don't hesitate on reaching me.

~Continuing prayers~

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 19, 2013
✟15,437.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This is a huge blow. I am sorry. I do not think rejection is good, ever, for any reason.
But . . . it is just as likely to be a case of "not yet" rather than "no dice". Maybe how you deal with this, how you handle this . . . is part of the path to being the pastor God wants you to be. More importantly, regardless of title or position, we all have a ministry . . . and we are much more important to God than just our ministry.

Upvote 0

Matthew Karchner

Sep 29, 2022
Pennsylvania
✟15,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Separated
Hello, Mitchy. This is an old thread, but hopefully you get a notification that I replied. I feel for you... have been rejected from seminary too. Ultimately I went with Liberty University online. It's not ideal, but I have gotten a lot out of it. These days, a man who truly knows the Lord needs to be an Apostle Paul (ready to contend for the full counsel of God against much opposition) before joining seminary. Otherwise they will have you and me "drinking the Kool Aid" - playing church, mixing psychological theories with Scripture, only preaching what tickles ears, etc... Much to say on this topic.. Find me on Facebook. Let's talk more.

The church has fallen away (2 Thess 2:3).
Keep your eyes on the Lord. Please God, not man (Gal 1:10).

"For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry (2 Timothy 4:3-5)."

Upvote 0