• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I was persecuted. And I didn't react properly.

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Site Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟151,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Some time ago I was persecuted for my beliefs, which was a heartbreaking experience. Even though I've tried to forgive the people who wronged me and I try not to think about it, I'm still angry about it. Sometimes thoughts about the persecution come back to me and make me angry, not just because I was mistreated but also because Christian values were insulted.

But I'm also upset with myself for the way I responded to the persecution. Instead of continuing to stand up for the truth or even staying silent about it, I gave in and apologized for speaking the truth. Of course I was basically bullied into apologizing in the first place, and I asked God for His forgiveness, but I still feel terrible for doing it. :(

To make matters worse, it was publicly posted that what I said was false and wrong and horrible (which couldn't have been further from the truth) and I received a lecture on the matter, which I did not appreciate. Then after I finally left a few months later, I wanted to at least upload some images I made so others could use them as references, but I was informed that they would not let me do that without giving me a good reason. So I e-mailed them expressing my concern, but they totally ignored me! I can't help but think that they probably hate me, all while accusing me of hatred!

I regret the poor decisions I made that led to the persecution happening in the first place. I never, ever should have gone back when I had already been feeling uncomfortable there in the past. I don't know what was wrong with me back then.

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I don't know what was wrong with me back then.
People differ in temperament.

I heard the testimony of someone who previously had been one of those lawless bikers. His issue isn't being apologetic, he needs to suppress his desire to provide them with a knuckle sandwich.

I would consider this event as a learning experience.

Reactions: Multifavs
Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Left the pack, joined the flock.
Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You should be in good company:

The World Hates the Disciples
18 “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. 19 If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. 20 Remember what I told you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. 21 They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the one who sent me. 22 If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin. 23 Whoever hates me hates my Father as well. 24 If I had not done among them the works no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin. As it is, they have seen, and yet they have hated both me and my Father. 25 But this is to fulfill what is written in their Law: ‘They hated me without reason.’

The Work of the Holy Spirit
26 “When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father—the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father—he will testify about me. 27 And you also must testify, for you have been with me from the beginning.

1 “All this I have told you so that you will not fall away. 2 They will put you out of the synagogue; in fact, the time is coming when anyone who kills you will think they are offering a service to God. 3 They will do such things because they have not known the Father or me. 4 I have told you this, so that when their time comes you will remember that I warned you about them. I did not tell you this from the beginning because I was with you,
~John 15:18-16:4 (NIV)

In the words of Winston Churchill, "We shall never surrender!" (Rev. 2:8-11).

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
An apology when one realized they overspoke or spoke hastily, is the 'right spirit'; and it is appreciated that you recognized it, Mutlifavs. God knows we sometimes fail in our actions, and when we take ownership of such, it IS a 'right spirit'. I pray for your good as you go forward with our Lord Jesus in your heart.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Some time ago I was persecuted for my beliefs, which was a heartbreaking experience. Even though I've tried to forgive the people who wronged me and I try not to think about it, I'm still angry about it. Sometimes thoughts about the persecution come back to me and make me angry, not just because I was mistreated but also because Christian values were insulted.

But I'm also upset with myself for the way I responded to the persecution. Instead of continuing to stand up for the truth or even staying silent about it, I gave in and apologized for speaking the truth. Of course I was basically bullied into apologizing in the first place, and I asked God for His forgiveness, but I still feel terrible for doing it. :(

To make matters worse, it was publicly posted that what I said was false and wrong and horrible (which couldn't have been further from the truth) and I received a lecture on the matter, which I did not appreciate. Then after I finally left a few months later, I wanted to at least upload some images I made so others could use them as references, but I was informed that they would not let me do that without giving me a good reason. So I e-mailed them expressing my concern, but they totally ignored me! I can't help but think that they probably hate me, all while accusing me of hatred!

I regret the poor decisions I made that led to the persecution happening in the first place. I never, ever should have gone back when I had already been feeling uncomfortable there in the past. I don't know what was wrong with me back then.

In 1 Tim 1 -- Paul reviews his life in his letter to Timothy and recalls some of his own cringe-worthy behavior in his past - back when he thought he was serving God with all his might as he persecuted Christians. You can see a lot of regret in Paul's writing about it.

Peter also had a lot of cringe worthy moments during the trial of his Lord and Savior -- almost lost his life over it. But then he looked up and saw Jesus still standing on the water with an outstretched hand to save Him. Peter never looked back.

The devil would like to take a snapshot of your past and make you think of it as your present and your future. But Christ is your present... "it is no longer I who live - but Christ who lives in me" Gal 2:20 and He is your future as well.

No looking back. Join Paul in looking ever onward... ever forward. Let the devil drown in a past of his own making. His good days are past. Yours have just barely begun.

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@Multifavs

I don't know the details of what happened, but funny story. I went through the same thing while I was in Canada taking a bus to work (in winter, I might add). In order for me to get to work then was to transfer buses and the way it was scheduled, it was always a hit or miss with the transfer. I was just about to miss the bus, so I made a run for it zipping by people to make it. It began to roll, but a frantic me was able to wave it down at the door. The doors opened and then I was scolded for being late. Immediately, and as customary as a Canadian (not really, but we are known for that), I blurted out an "I'm sorry!" and sat down.

Not only did I feel out of breath from the cold and trying not to bump into others while running to catch this bus, but also defeated because I knew I wasn't in the wrong. The system was.
I made a quick note and a call about it later though. People shouldn't be treated like that. But, that was my funny story so I hope this made you giggle a little.

I do whole heartedly agree with what @Rene Loup already shared though. My whole life I have been hated without a cause, even from my own family. I lost all my friends because I believe in Christ, save only one and plus my husband. I do hope one day we can all come together in love because God is Love and Truth. :yellowheart:

Upvote 0

JohnPaul88

A Soldier In God Army.
Dec 18, 2021
Trenton
✟38,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Don’t knock yourself over it, we are only human, you did nothing wrong. Ive had situations where in hindsight I wished I acted or responded differently, the past is the past all water under the bridge.

God bless you Multifavs and just let it go, sometimes it can be hard but it’s part of life and the more we dwell on things the worse things get, I support you and pray for those feelings of yours to be gone.

Amen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I do whole heartedly agree with what @Rene Loup already shared though. My whole life I have been hated without a cause, even from my own family. I lost all my friends because I believe in Christ, save only one and plus my husband. I do hope one day we can all come together in love because God is Love and Truth. :yellowheart:

I believe my post about being a brave soldier for Christ applies to this sort of experience. I presume from the OP (which has very little detail in it) that the situation there is the same more-or-less as the one described above.

As I reread the thread - I am a bit unsure of exactly what is going on in the OP - but these are my assumptions so far.

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe my post about being a brave soldier for Christ applies to this sort of experience. I presume from the OP (which has very little detail in it) that the situation there is the same more-or-less as the one described above.

As I reread the thread - I am a bit unsure of exactly what is going on in the OP - but these are my assumptions so far.

Oh, of course. My apologies. I didn't read through the entire thread. I had just a little time to spare here and thought a little laugh would be appropriate, but also reinforcing what Christ already said about the world hating Him first.

I also really try to stay away from assumptions as that can really hurt someone if we aren't carefully discerning. :yellowheart:

Upvote 0

Skye1300

Vegan Pro life Mom
Mar 19, 2022
West Coast USA
✟47,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I'm sorry this happened. Don't beat yourself up about it, just count it as a learning experience and next time if something like that happens you'll know better how to react. No one is perfect. Look how Peter denied Jesus 3 times. Tings like that happens sometimes. Just stay strong, brush yourself off and move on. God is a forgiving God. :hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Site Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟151,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm sorry this happened. Don't beat yourself up about it, just count it as a learning experience and next time if something like that happens you'll know better how to react. No one is perfect. Look how Peter denied Jesus 3 times. Tings like that happens sometimes. Just stay strong, brush yourself off and move on. God is a forgiving God. :hug:
Thank you so much! :hug: I'll definitely try to do better next time.

How did you get those emojis in your signature? :)
The animated ones? I made them myself. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Skye1300
Upvote 0

John Bannister

Apr 11, 2022
Ipswich
✟13,034.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
It is a very difficult thing to keep on going when the world is screaming at you that you're wrong about it. Everyone handles the pressure differently, and it takes a lot of practice to stay firm in the face of things like that. While not becoming pig-headed or closed-minded of course.

I had a forum post removed here for 'contempt of Christianity' while I was practically begging people to follow Christ instead of authorities on Earth. I just took it as it was, didn't fight it or try to defend myself.
Personally I take it that I didn't get the message across I was trying to, and that I should go back to learning and try again later. Sometimes even if you are completely sure you are right in what you say, it can take a few tries to get the message across to different sorts of people in ways they can really understand.
If people are hostile though, then I'd take a leaf out of Yeshua's book and quietly slip out the back door to go find a more calm and open group to talk to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0