I Was a Black Teen in the ’60s. Don’t Believe Left’s Lies About ‘Jim Crow’ Election Reform

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,663,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The right to vote is one of the most sacred rights that we as free citizens can exercise.

Yet today, far too many Americans have lost trust in the fairness of our elections.

That’s why we’ve made a commitment at The Heritage Foundation to work with state lawmakers across the country to make needed reforms and restore integrity to our elections. (The Daily Signal is the news outlet of The Heritage Foundation.)

Yet, amazingly, some of those commonsense laws have come under attack from the left and a biased news media.

The falsehoods and outright lies are appalling.

Growing up as a black teenager during the 1960s, I knew the tremendous sacrifices and dangers that my friends and relatives endured to secure the right to vote for black Americans.

So, let me be clear: I have zero interest in disenfranchising or suppressing the vote of any portion of the population.

But that’s not what’s happening in Georgia or other states pursuing election reforms. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

Using Scare Tactics to Pass a Federal Takeover of Elections

Continued below.
I Was a Black Teen in the '60s. Don't Believe Left's Lies About 'Jim Crow' Election Reform | The Stream

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The right to vote is one of the most sacred rights that we as free citizens can exercise.

Yet today, far too many Americans have lost trust in the fairness of our elections.

That’s why we’ve made a commitment at The Heritage Foundation to work with state lawmakers across the country to make needed reforms and restore integrity to our elections. (The Daily Signal is the news outlet of The Heritage Foundation.)

Yet, amazingly, some of those commonsense laws have come under attack from the left and a biased news media.

Growing up as a black teenager during the 1960s, I knew the tremendous sacrifices and dangers that my friends and relatives endured to secure the right to vote for black Americans.

So, let me be clear: I have zero interest in disenfranchising or suppressing the vote of any portion of the population.

But that’s not what’s happening in Georgia or other states pursuing election reforms. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

Continued below.
I Was a Black Teen in the '60s. Don't Believe Left's Lies About 'Jim Crow' Election Reform | The Stream
I was a black teen in the 70's.

Yes ... what's happening now is not as bad as Jim Crow, ...but Jim Crow was pretty bad.

What's happening now is less drastic, but still aimed at suppressing voters in certain areas.

It should never take hours to vote. This year I know of people who waited in line 8 hours to vote.

Limiting opportunities to vote ... leads to less vote ... and less vote leads to less representation of Americans ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Continued below.
Why would I believe the author of that article over my friends who are black? My friends have no reason to lie to me and they tell me the opposite of what she says. But that woman who wrote the article has a clear political agenda and is trying to make money by selling her politics.

So why would I believe anything she has to say? Why would anyone believe her, for that matter?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,663,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why would I believe the author of that article over my friends who are black? My friends have no reason to lie to me and they tell me the opposite of what she says. But that woman who wrote the article has a clear political agenda and is trying to make money by selling her politics.

So why would I believe anything she has to say? Why would anyone believe her, for that matter?
I don’t know. Unbiased research maybe. Being black or whatever race does not make one all knowing.

• Winner
Reactions: Chrystal-J
Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟574,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Yes ... what happening now is not as bad as Jim Crow, ...but Jim Crow was pretty bad.

What's happening now is less drastic, but still aimed at suppressing voters in certain areas.

It should never take hours to vote. This year I know of people who waited in line 8 hours to vote.

Limiting opportunities to vote ... leads to less vote ... and less vote leads to less representation of Americans ...
So why is there such disparity between rural Georgia where the line time is 15 minutes and Atlanta metro where the line time was 6 hours (was this an average or just one persons gripe)? Don't give me an opinion. Show me the facts of the matter so we all can have an educated, unbiased discussion. So to start the conversation, lets go back to Shelby County v. Holder in 2013 and the decision that federal preclearance requirements based on 1965 data were no longer valid to force states to disproportionately fund polling places in minority areas. This decision was made, I think, to place the onus back on Congress to revisit the preclearance requirements and establish newer formulas. Instead nothing was passed and over 1000 polling places have been closed. So you could say that cutting off state funding to these polling places and expecting the counties to absorb the costs did not work well. The poorer neighborhoods had learned to expect the state funding. Is it the states fault or the counties fault? I think there is enough blame to go around. But in this last election, with massive mail in voting and disproportionate allocation of drop boxes to the poorer neighborhoods, why were the lines still so long? Let's see where our intellects and a little research can take us.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Yes ... what happening now is not as bad as Jim Crow, ...but Jim Crow was pretty bad.

• Jim Crow was a democratic party initiative in the south -
  • Conflating election reform to ensure election integrity - with "Jim Crow" laws (as if they are remotely the same or at the same level or the same idea) - is also a democratic party initiative
More and more Americans are beginning to wake up -- to see the pattern

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
So why is there such disparity between rural Georgia where the line time is 15 minutes and Atlanta metro where the line time was 6 hours (was this an average or just one persons gripe)? Don't give me an opinion. Show me the facts of the matter so we all can have an educated, unbiased discussion.

I live in a very rural area of Georgia where early voting line times were around 45 min to 1.5 hours (very few voting places) - but election day voting was about 15 - 20 minutes (a lot more voting places).

4 Myths About the Election Integrity Law in Georgia

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
  • Jim Crow was a democratic party initiative in the south -
  • Conflating election reform to ensure election integrity - with "Jim Crow" laws (as if they are remotely the same or at the same level or the same idea) - is also a democratic party initiative
More and more Americans are beginning to wake up -- to see the pattern
Jim Crow were policies and laws in the South designed to target African Americans. Literacy tests at polling locations were an initiative in the South to target African Americans. Changes to voting laws based on the voting patterns of African Americans were an initiative in the South (NC) to target African Americans. Changes in voting laws to limit hours and polling locations in African American areas was an initiative in the South (GA) to target African Americans.

New restrictive voting laws are an initiative in the South to limit voting, I wonder who they're targeting?

Oh, and I bolded the common thread among all these laws and policies. It's not the Democratic Party.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟574,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I live in a very rural area of Georgia where early voting line times were around 45 min to 1.5 hours (very few voting places) - but election day voting was about 15 - 20 minutes (a lot more voting places).

4 Myths About the Election Integrity Law in Georgia
Yes, I believe that about the waiting lines. What people don't seem to understand is that most poll workers are really just volunteering their time. Yeah, they get a very measly stipend; but that is not enough to really cause people to work to make money doing poll work. So they hire on temporary full time employees (by full time, I mean 8 hours a day) to aid the county clerk and their staff in the early voting. So they are stretched thin during that time until the volunteers come in for the main election day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jim Crow were policies and laws in the South designed to target African Americans. Literacy tests at polling locations were an initiative in the South to target African Americans. Changes to voting laws based on the voting patterns of African Americans were an initiative in the South (NC) to target African Americans. Changes in voting laws to limit hours and polling locations in African American areas was an initiative in the South (GA) to target African Americans.

New restrictive voting laws are an initiative in the South to limit voting, I wonder who they're targeting?

Oh, and I bolded the common thread among all these laws and policies. It's not the Democratic Party.

Pretending it was the geographic area that came up with Jim Crowe and not the people running the government is hardly rational.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian