I Want to Watch a Documentary on Witch Persecution, But....

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I Want to Watch a Documentary on Witch Persecution......but I'm afraid my basic tolerance for Christianity will be damaged.

The way to identify Christians is how well they treat their neighbors. Those who do not treat others as they would wish to be treated, are not counted as believers in the example of Jesus.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
...sometimes it is better to read an serious article,
you really need to ask the Lord about this. What would Jesus do?
Thats a good point, because as of now I know nothing of the quality and reliability of the doc. I will certainly investigate that first.

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Witch persecution was a phenomena that didn't last long in the history of western civilization. Not to excuse it, but it wasn't necessarily Christianity to blame. The century when most of it was done had to do with paranoia and a socially accepted "scapegoating"--this was an age of superstition and old women were often scapegoated because they had no relatives to defend them. By contrast, the early church emphasized care for these same sort of elderly widows, and rejected the trial by ordeal that was popular around this time. The witch persecution era was a regression of western society and Christianity, and thankfully it was only temporary and we now have it to look back on as an example of what not to do. If you feel like watching a documentary will make you hate Christians then you're going to want to do some objective, thorough research on the subject. Documenatries are sometimes too condensed th contain all of the nuances of certain events, and books can be more thorough.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Witch persecution was a phenomena that didn't last long in the history of western civilization. Not to excuse it, but it wasn't necessarily Christianity to blame. The century when most of it was done had to do with paranoia and a socially accepted "scapegoating"--this was an age of superstition and old women were often scapegoated because they had no relatives to defend them. By contrast, the early church emphasized care for these same sort of elderly widows, and rejected the trial by ordeal that was popular around this time. The witch persecution era was a regression of western society and Christianity, and thankfully it was only temporary and we now have it to look back on as an example of what not to do. If you feel like watching a documentary will make you hate Christians then you're going to want to do some objective, thorough research on the subject. Documenatries are sometimes too condensed th contain all of the nuances of certain events, and books can be more thorough.
Good thoughts. Thanks.

Upvote 0

geiroffenberg

Sep 4, 2014
✟38,573.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I Want to Watch a Documentary on Witch Persecution...

...but I'm afraid my basic tolerance for Christianity will be damaged.
you should watch it as christianity in itself is a lot of horrible things, as it was in pauls days (just read about the acts of the corintians) has been troughout history and certainly is today. In fact jesus own disciples wasnt very nice alwasy, even john the nices one of them wanted to burn down a city at one point! So pls, watch it and understand that it doesnt take away anything from who god and jesus is. But in this group of weirdos there is possible to overcome all foolishness and grow into a spiritual mature person that knows god.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MyOwnSockPuppet

Regeneration of myself after computer failure
Feb 22, 2013
Oxford, UK
✟180,729.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Witch persecution was a phenomena that didn't last long in the history of western civilization. Not to excuse it, but it wasn't necessarily Christianity to blame.

The persecution of witches (or those perceived as witches) overall predates Christianity by nearly two millennia (there was something in the Code of Hammurabi in the 18th century BC) and has continued right the way through to the present day (the most recent state-sanctioned executions I've found reference to was in June 2012 in Saudi Arabia)

To be sure the examples of it being carried out in the name of Christianity are probably the most memorable, but I'm unaware of any major religion having particularly clean hands on the subject.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The National Film Board of Canada has an excellent documentary called "The Burning Times". Depending on where you are located, you might be able to access it through an inter library loan or perhaps through a Canadian consulate.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Keep in mind that there is no such thing as witchcraft or magic. Those accused were mostly women and there was quite a list of reasons why they were accused:
* some were midwives who had the misfortune of helping to deliver a deformed baby. The accusation was that they switched a normal baby for a devil's child (changling)
* some were herbal healers who were accused by a medical doctor to eliminate competition
* some were lonely old widow women who talked to their pet cats
* some simply owned desirable property and there was usually a claim to part of the estate assigned to the accuser.
Another factor was that once the accusation was made a verdict of guilt was a virtual certainty.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Keep in mind that there is no such thing as witchcraft or magic. Those accused were mostly women and there was quite a list of reasons why they were accused:
* some were midwives who had the misfortune of helping to deliver a deformed baby. The accusation was that they switched a normal baby for a devil's child (changling)
* some were herbal healers who were accused by a medical doctor to eliminate competition
* some were lonely old widow women who talked to their pet cats
* some simply owned desirable property and there was usually a claim to part of the estate assigned to the accuser.
Another factor was that once the accusation was made a verdict of guilt was a virtual certainty.
Ergotism - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

dclements

Jan 25, 2017
Miskatonic County, MA
✟17,443.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

People persecute others for a variety of reasons, and although some have done it in the name of 'religion', usually the 'religious' reason is actually a personal one.

For example, during the witch trials, someone that was either wealth or unlike could be targeted as a 'witch' just because they either had something others wanted to have (ie. people charged as witches have property seized) or just plainly taken away so they are a nuisance to whomever didn't like them. Obviously there could be other reasons but those are two of the most common ones I believe.

While I'm not trying to defend Christianity by saying this (since I believe Christianity is supposed to teach people to not behave in such a manner), I'm just saying that it isn't just done because they are Christians since similar behavior happens in almost all societies no matter what they believe. It would be nice if there was some way to compare and contrast which religions or system of beliefs make people more tolerate and less violent toward each other under such and such circumstances, but as far as I know such information doesn't exist.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I don't recall Jesus giving us guidance on how to persecute people. A vast array of evils have been committed by people who called themselves Christian. Additionally, people that have been raised in an environment fraught with Christian ideas are only going to understand everything in their life in light of that. (An effect not unique to Christian environments.)

Without having seeing what you want to watch, I can't say if it is fine to watch or not. But your ideas about Christianity are safe if they come from the Bible. You sure don't want to listen to most humans for it. Humans are for helping you with your effort to know the Lord through the Bible and by the Holy Spirit. I've only seen one article in secular media in the past 20 years about Christianity that didn't have at least one major error or erroneous implication in it.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,785.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Yeah I wanted to read the Koran once...

...but I was afraid my basic tolerance for Mohammedism would be damaged.

And it was.

So maybe read the New Testament and not modern movies.

Upvote 0