Ohio
✟8,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I don't see any reason why the UUA wouldn't be appropriate, based on what you've told us, Afterhours. It is not as though the Unitarians prohibit belief in Jesus. However, you didn't list one as being near your residence anyway. It looks like it would be hard to beat the UCC, given your criteria.

In as much as I respect the UUA, on basically all social issues, I am a Christian. I believe in celebrating communion. I believe in the Trinity, and the divinity of Christ.

We have UCCs here in the hinterlands of OH. However, the congregations run red and conservative. The closest progressive churches are in Cleveland. That's one hour away.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Why on earth would I be "looking for a church that gets rid of Jesus?" That makes no sense. Surely I am aware of the Unitarian Universalist Society. They are not Christian and do not pretend to be.

I am looking for a church that follows the teachings of Jesus. There is a movement called Solus Jesus, which adheres closely to the teachings of Jesus Christ, but views Hebrew scripture and the teachings of the Apostle Paul, within a cultural and social context.

I am also looking for a church that teaches social justice, and that is collectively appalled by the individual who sits in the White House, and the actions of his regime.
As noted before, congregations vary, but these are common within the "mainline" churches: PCUSA, ELCA, Episcopal, UMC [though they're in a complex internal situation over gays], Disciples, etc. That doesn't mean that the congregations are uniform. Ours is generally liberal, but we certainly have Trump supporters. I hope you don't want a congregation where everyone is alike.

Another term is "red-letter Christians," though the social gospel also looks to the prophets. Jesus and the NT writers weren't in a position to run a nation, so they didn't look at what it meant for a nation to follow God's will as directly as the prophets did.

Upvote 0

Afterhours

Sep 13, 2018
Ohio
✟8,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
As noted before, congregations vary, but these are common within the "mainline" churches: PCUSA, ELCA, Episcopal, UMC [though they're in a complex internal situation over gays], Disciples, etc. That doesn't mean that the congregations are uniform. Ours is generally liberal, but we certainly have Trump supporters. I hope you don't want a congregation where everyone is alike.

Another term is "red-letter Christians," though the social gospel also looks to the prophets. Jesus and the NT writers weren't in a position to run a nation, so they didn't look at what it meant for a nation to follow God's will as directly as the prophets did.

Congregations do vary. The PCUSA church in Glen Cove NY where I attended and was married is very progressive and open and affirming. There are other PCUSA churches that are quite conservative theologically and politically. It's very hard for progressive Christians because mainline churches are warm and welcoming towards conservative people.

I am not an LGBTQ person, but I can not, in good conscience, worship in a church that welcomes them conditionally.

No. I do not want "everyone to be alive" but at the same time, I don't want to be so marginalized that I'm afraid to say anything, or to have a minister who is afraid to touch certain issues because it will offend certain conservative members. This is what I am finding.

Upvote 0

Afterhours

Sep 13, 2018
Ohio
✟8,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Where are you? There are a couple in Wooster. I'd think there might be possibilities nearer than Cleveland.

I live in Warren which is in Eastern OH. On the boarder of PA. Wooster every Sunday would be a haul, I am very open to denominations.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I live in Warren which is in Eastern OH. On the boarder of PA. Wooster every Sunday would be a haul, I am very open to denominations.
I have some specific information. Read you inbox.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The thing about our UCC brethren is they have a congregational polity. So if you've seen one UCC church, you've seen one UCC church; they don't necessarily march in lockstep with Cleveland. You have to shop around.

My own church has had some mention in this thread. We often get painted as a "liberal" church, primarily because we are inclusive for all those who seek Christ. In truth, though we are a "big tent" church with room for all under the tent, including political liberals like me sharing a pew with conservative Trump lovers. And OP may be less likely to find contemporary Christian music here. We tend to be a bit stuffy (which suits me just fine :)).

Upvote 0

Afterhours

Sep 13, 2018
Ohio
✟8,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The thing about our UCC brethren is they have a congregational polity. So if you've seen one UCC church, you've seen one UCC church; they don't necessarily march in lockstep with Cleveland. You have to shop around.

My own church has had some mention in this thread. We often get painted as a "liberal" church, primarily because we are inclusive for all those who seek Christ. In truth, though we are a "big tent" church with room for all under the tent, including political liberals like me sharing a pew with conservative Trump lovers. And OP may be less likely to find contemporary Christian music here. We tend to be a bit stuffy (which suits me just fine :)).

Upvote 0

Afterhours

Sep 13, 2018
Ohio
✟8,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
True. Congregational polity makes it all the more difficult for progressives. Even with churches with an episcopal polity, there can be huge variations. When I lived in Northern PA, one of the two Episcopal churches in town was known to be progressive and open and affirming towards the LGBTQ community. The other was known not to be. So in effect, they were "congregational by default" because progressives all went to the one that flew the rainbow flag. Conservatives attended the other church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Afterhours

Sep 13, 2018
Ohio
✟8,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

I am not the OP. I could not care less about "Christian contemporary music". I actually like traditional hymns. Music is the least of my worries.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
You might have better luck going to a Metropolitan Community Church, if the local UCC churches are too conservative for you.

Though I am no fan of Donald Trump or his politics, which are very much at odds with the consensus of most mainline churches, I don't expect my church to be defined by anti-Trump outrage. That's just not healthy or realistic.

I really think you should consider a UCC church, though, even if it appears conservative. They are canonically bound to some liberal social stances, including the ordination of , even if the local congregation doesn't appear to be so. Whereas mainline churches have various degrees of tolerance towards varying viewpoints (for instance, the ELCA, on paper as of 2009, defines marriage as between a man and woman, they just also believe their congregations are free to disagree with that).

Upvote 0