i want to stop sinning. do you?

endure

Aug 27, 2002
georgia, sautee.
Visit site
✟16,062.00
Faith
Christian
i dont want to debate this, i do not want to go through the hours of proving or disproving anything.

but id like to ask a simple question.
do you want to stop sinning, if there was a way, would you take it?

see i long for that, truely the closer i get to God, the more i hate even the smell or appearance of sin. i cant stand to be around it, becuase i am being transformed in the image of his glory by the holyspirit as the bible says. and i just loath and hate anything to do with sin. and it just doesnt make sense for me that the closer i get to God the more i hate sin, if i really cant stop sinning.
i will never truely be happy, if i am bound to live this life as a life full of what i hate.

oh i want to be free from this.
do you desire to stop sinning? have you stopped sinning?
if you could, would you take it?

reeann

Trust and Obey
Nov 11, 2002
South Carolina
Visit site
✟8,692.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Paul too struggled with sin. We are not free from the presence of sin in our lives, but God has given us the POWER of the indwelling Holy Spirit to overcome its temptations. When we do sin, the Bible teaches us that if we confess our sin (repentence of the heart) God is faithful and just to forgive us sin and cleanses us from all unrighteousness.

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
There is only one way to stop sinning as far as I know, and it's not one that is held in high esteem by Christians. That would be to beg God to take your life because you don't want to spend another day here.

While that *may* be a solution, I think the best thing to do if you're feeling like this is to stop concentrating on yourself. I know I may be in the minority here, but too much introspection, too much worrying, too much fear of somehow offending God can lead to a legalistic walk and a despising of what God has given you to do now that does no good for anyone, including yourself.

My best advice would be to try your best not to commit what you know to be sin-but also live your life. You're only 20 and have many years in God's service ahead of you if you choose to accept them. So I'd say that you need to get out and help some people. Maybe volunteer at a charity thing, start a Bible study for nonbelievers, anything-just get out there, get outside yourself, and help someone else.

Sorry again if I offended anyone. :sorry:

Upvote 0

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
it's a wonderful feeling when you overcome a sin by leaning on the strength from the Holy Spirit, but that doesn't guarantee that you may not succumb to temptation again. yes, it's not an easy road... but i'm sure one day you'll be able to be rid of it, that is, if you havne't given up first. :)

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think he was speaking of a "specific" sin, although maybe he was. My advice is the wrong advice for that: my advice is for when you feel a pervasive sense of worthlessness and uselessness and feel that you can't live this mortal life one more day.

Upvote 0

endure

Aug 27, 2002
georgia, sautee.
Visit site
✟16,062.00
Faith
Christian
well, i disgree that a christian cant stop sinning.

reean
well, i dont really think the scripture from romans 7 that people say proves paul always struggled with sin really means that.
i understand asking forgiveness and all that, but im just sick of sinning and want to quit it for good.

susan
well, i sure hope the only way to stop sinning is not to leave this life, becuase to me sin truely is big thing, it isnt like God, and i know God hates it.
i understand that i need not focus fully on myself, but from the amount of times the bible speaks to christians and commands them to depart from iniquity, i think a christain must diligently watch himself in the area of sin.

Upvote 0

TwoWitnessesUSdotcom

Jul 22, 2003
I'm somewhere in the USA
✟514.00
Faith
Other Religion
If a person does not have the desire to stop sinning, they don't have the "heart of David," and they've never read, "thy word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against you."

The prevalent doctrine that says "you can never stop sinning until you die," is only GOOD NEWS to someone who has no desire to stop sinning! To someone like you, who wants to please God in all their ways, this doctrine is TERRIBLE HORRIBLE NEWS!

"Can we stop sinning" is a very old debate. I find this fascinating because the scriptures state clearly there will come a day in history when an entire generation of believers become perfect.

Classic Christian doctrine states that we are in the flesh and will sin until the day we die. Then we are resurrected as perfect beings (like Jesus).

According to Paul, however, in 1 Corinthians chapter 15 "we shall not all sleep but we shall all be changed." It goes on to say that "this corruptible MUST put on corruption and this mortal must put on immortality." Earlier in this chapter it says "flesh and blood cannot inherit the Kingdom." Then it says "oh death where is your sting," then it says "the sting of death is sin." Conclusion? Death will be no more for this group because sin is no more!

There will be an entire generation who attain to sinless perfection and eradicate sin, becoming immortal, and they will attain to this without ever dying!

Those who say "you can't stop sinning in this life time," therefore, are proved to be false prophets, for, the only way they could know this for sure is if they know for sure you are not of this last generation, and of course NO MAN knows this for Messiah made it clear that "no man knows the day or the hour."

That is why 1 Corinthians chapter 15 ends with this, "be stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as you know that your labor is not in vain in the Lord."

It is not "vanity" to press on into sinless righteousness, for we know that the scriptures predict a generation who will in fact SUCCEED!

Is it possible to "keep the commandments of Love?" According to Revelation 12:17 it is.

"And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS OF GOD, and have the testimony of Yahshua!"

Thus ends the debate.

Is it "possible" to stop sinning? According to the scriptures it will happen! Anyone who says otherwise is a false prophet!

"I can do ALL things through Messiah who strengthens me!"

It doesn't say "all things except stop sinning."

Shalom
J. Dean

Upvote 0

Papist

Hannah and Rowan's Dad
Jul 13, 2003
Hamilton, Waikato
✟17,114.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
endure said:
i dont want to debate this, i do not want to go through the hours of proving or disproving anything.

but id like to ask a simple question.
do you want to stop sinning, if there was a way, would you take it?

see i long for that, truely the closer i get to God, the more i hate even the smell or appearance of sin. i cant stand to be around it, becuase i am being transformed in the image of his glory by the holyspirit as the bible says. and i just loath and hate anything to do with sin. and it just doesnt make sense for me that the closer i get to God the more i hate sin, if i really cant stop sinning.
i will never truely be happy, if i am bound to live this life as a life full of what i hate.

oh i want to be free from this.
do you desire to stop sinning? have you stopped sinning?
if you could, would you take it?

It is pride to believe that by your own efforts you can become perfectly sinless. The Holy Spirit leads us to be transformed. It is God's grace that perfects us, but we must co-operate with it and not resist it. It's about making the daily choice to freely choose God's will, which is ultimately the best thing for us anyway. However, paradoxically, God's will is done even through our sin. We must be aware of our sinfulness but also of our own inability, without the grace of God, to do anything about it, but if we focus on it too much, we are in danger of falling into the sin of despair.

It's that delicate balance between personal responsibility and trust in God's grace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
O

OpenBook

I wonder if we will be free of sin this side of Heavan.

Some times I think NOPE and struggle with it. In the struggle I give up or give in or what ever and know what I am doing is a sin. But o well.

Than that really scares me, because I read somewhere something sort of, that stated that if you keep giving in, than are you a really a christian. And this is were I beleive Satan really gets me. Is I doubt my faith. And I can not move from there. How can God work through me, even if I do not know if I am saved.

I then ask Jesus to be Lord fo my life again. All is fine until I give into tempation. Then the Cycle continues.

So my prayer is that Yes Sin can stop having a hold over us.

Hope that makes Sense.

OB

Upvote 0

endure

Aug 27, 2002
georgia, sautee.
Visit site
✟16,062.00
Faith
Christian
yeah man,
with my relationship with God, nothing works right in the presence of sin, it just dont work.

but the lord has a way to set his people free from sin.

like phillipians 1.10 says. there can be a people who
"...walk without offence till the day of Christ!"

GLORY!

Upvote 0

Totally Transformed

Jul 18, 2003
Washington
Visit site
✟605.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I definitely want to be able to stop sinning, however I'm afraid that this won't happen until I go to be with the Lord. I will say this I do believe that since I've asked the Lord to come into my heart 23 years ago that I do sin less times now than I did when I first came to know Him. ;)

YBIC,
Bob

Upvote 0

seangoh

Veteran
Dec 10, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
✟16,661.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Just to share a verse which really motivates me to not sin or rather, shows the path to not sin.

"But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord." 2 Cor 3:18

It is entirely logical to say that if we desire to be with God daily. If you wake up in the morning, go through the day and before you sleep..and what's constantly in your mind is how you can be closer to God and how God has "interfered" in your daily affairs for your benefit or others benefit, that's gonna keep you in the right path. Because by beholding, we become changed.

Upvote 0

The Midge

Towel Bearer
Jun 25, 2003
UK
Visit site
✟11,951.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Endure!

Long time no see, I thought you may have been lost in the crash. Good to see you :hug:

I want to stop sinning. It's disgusting stuff and I want to be rid of it for good. When I'm with my Lord it will be gone for ever. In the mean time, I am always aware that until that time I always have the potential to sin. Must watch myself constantly.

Susan: Having a positive out look and doing what is good is a great idea. The old distraction technique. When temptation comes along think of something different. Keep busy doing God's will so that we don't have time for the other. Being a real blessing not just legalistic. We should all give it a go!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Luchnia

Jul 19, 2003
✟1,127.00
but the lord has a way to set his people free from sin.

Retype this text to read: "The Lord's people are already free from sin."

Not only are we free from sin, we are dead to sin and alive to Christ, as Paul said.

Any man that is in sin, must repent and forsake sin, or he will perish in his sins as he is a servant to sin and satan. The child of God is a servant of righteousness and God to eternal life.

Word up and peace up!

Upvote 0

endure

Aug 27, 2002
georgia, sautee.
Visit site
✟16,062.00
Faith
Christian
midge,
yeah we have the POTENTAIL to sin. but that doesnt mean anything.

phillipians 1.10 is still the truth and can be a reality for anyman who will believe and seek it. potentials arent energy by themselves.
it is possible to walk without offence untill the day of Christ.

luchnia
im with ya man.
now what about the servant of the lord who does commit a sin?

im just saying that there is a place of holiness that the body of Christ today as a whole has not entered into, because sin is present, whether people think those are credited to our account or not, they are still commited.
and it isnt that you get born again and you never sin again, it doesnt happen that way. you have to gain knowledge and judgement and an understanding of spiritual matters, becuase paul said to be vigilant and sober, because our adversary the devil walks about as roaring lion seeking whom he may devour.

being sinlessness isnt something you can expect from a person simply becuase they are born again.
you have to be viligilant, which means to have an understanding.
and sober, it means to be awake.

and like paul said in phillipians 10.9-10. we have to grow in knowledge and judgment in order to walk without offence.

lots of good, god loving people, have a passion in their heart, but no understanding, and are defeated on a day to day basis.

it isnt that this is already done and given, in the TRUE saints.

Upvote 0

george

Veteran
Mar 29, 2002
springfield,ky
Visit site
✟2,406.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I long for perfection, and at the same time try to avoid sin as much as possible, but as long as we have a sin nature we will struggle with trying to live a Holy and sin free life, but if we walk daily in his spirit we will not gratify the desires of our flesh. so we have to die daily as paul said.

once we become christians we have the power to practice the rightougesness by God's standard, so I constancely try to put this into practice everyday. and as far as completely avoiding it, look what paul says.

1cor 5:9-I wrote to you in my epistle not to keep company with sexually immoral people. 10Yet I certainly did not mean with the sexually immoral people of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world.

Upvote 0

Luchnia

Jul 19, 2003
✟1,127.00
but as long as we have a sin nature we will struggle

Here is something to think about. These are great post, but remember what you are implying when you type something like this. If you are led by the Spirit of the living God this sentence you typed implies that the Spirit of God leads you to sin. Just consider for a moment. We are led by the Spirit and righteous nature of God, not a sin nature. The OLD MAN is gone and we are new men. New creations in Christ Jesus is who and what we are.

You see sinlessness and perfection are two different things. We can go on unto perfection, but being dead to sin and free from sin really don't equate to being perfect. They are as different as night and day!

Isn't that the awesomeness of what Paul was saying in Romans (especially chaptor eight) when he clearly indicated that we are FREE from sin and alive to Christ because WE ARE LED by God's Spirit? We are children of God and not children of the devil. What a powerful truth when it comes to light for the believer!

Word up!

Upvote 0

endure

Aug 27, 2002
georgia, sautee.
Visit site
✟16,062.00
Faith
Christian
george.
this is just something i think is enteresting though you may not agree.

its alot like what luchnia said.

regarding the sin nature, i dont think christians have one, as long as they are walking in the spirit.

becuase jesus said if he abides in you, and you in him.
you WILL! bear much fruit...
and paul said the fruit of the spirit was all goodness, righteousness and truth.

if you are walking in the spirit being filled and covered and led and led by the Spirit of God, your nature is not to sin, but it is to do good.
it will be harder to do bad, then to do good, becuase in the spirit your nature is to do good.
if you are one with Christ, you will bear good fruit, thats your nature.
not to sin.

christians who struggle with a sin nature, may still be christians, but they are living far below their priviledge.

Upvote 0