Apr 29, 2019
✟17,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been working on this idea for a couple years now and if any of you have some input or good advice it would be welcome. I'm a veteran and I wan't to start a group where we go after our own. I think if anyone could use Christ in there lives its our men and women that sacrifice for us. I guess the question is how do I start? Some good ways to get traction? I would really like to grow it into a non profit benefiting vets and helping them find jobs, help, rehab, and most of all faith. Thanks for the help!

Reactions: tampasteve

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would contact a organization in your area that has success in mission work in similar fields. Many churches have prison missions, that could be a decent place to start. If you work with someone that has done this before, even if it is a different approach, it can give you valuable information on what works, and what does not. But good luck, I wish more churches had active missions in the USA.

Upvote 0

Firewatchduty

Apr 29, 2019
✟17,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would contact a organization in your area that has success in mission work in similar fields. Many churches have prison missions, that could be a decent place to start. If you work with someone that has done this before, even if it is a different approach, it can give you valuable information on what works, and what does not. But good luck, I wish more churches had active missions in the USA.
I will look into that thank you.

Upvote 0

carp614

Apr 21, 2016
Home
✟29,620.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a tough one. Brokenness runs deep in the veterans community. So does secularism.

My immediate thought was equine therapy. But that is my bias. I have been trying to figure out how to turn equine assisted therapy into an opportunity to share the gospel. That type of therapy has been shown to be greatly beneficial in treating Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

It's just an idea at this point. I have horses and have gained valuable insights into concepts like compassion and service that are impaired or disrupted in PTSD sufferers.

Pursue this as far as you can.

Upvote 0
May 24, 2019
Brisbane
Visit site
✟15,834.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's a great idea! Animal therapy is the best.

Maybe start in your local community a small bible study group, invite them back to your place for study and hanging out with the horses/feeding, camps and having a meal together. Best type of therapy there is..

It could be targeted towards just veterans or maybe it will just organically help everyone who goes there. Not just veterans. Young and old, families as well.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2019
Tempe, AZ
✟8,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Great advice and I'd second this. Prison missions are often the best way to get going, both due to urgent need and thanks to an infrastructure and networks of expertise of other ministers involved in this. Even many of the international missionaries cut our teeth in prison ministries, among other things you'll get a better sense of how to communicate over an extended period, setting boundaries, language skills (Spanish especially if you're in the US) and organizing Bible study classes. You'll also make contacts and forge a team that you can bring to your other ministries.

• Useful
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0