Indianapolis
✟19,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Hello, this is another thread exploring the beliefs of Christians, Last time I asked to know about your God And How you view your Savior, Now I want to know about this opposing force to your religion. Tell me the properties of the Anti-Christ, The enemy of Christ that Christians strongly dislike.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,520.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Self serving, self interest, self determining, redefines good and evil at will to suit the purpose, seeks gain at the expense of others' well being, a taker not a giver. You know.. like mankind. We are anti-Christ in nature. Or more simply put, acts in an opposite manner to Jesus who did not His will, but the will of the Father alone. Not to be confused with the Adversary (the meaning of the word satan) whose job it is to test/tempt mankind and even test/tempt the Messiah.

Upvote 0

Paulomycin

Feb 22, 2021
Beaumont/Port Arthur
✟20,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Hello, this is another thread exploring the beliefs of Christians, Last time I asked to know about your God And How you view your Savior, Now I want to know about this opposing force to your religion. Tell me the properties of the Anti-Christ, The enemy of Christ that Christians strongly dislike.

All we really know about him is what is revealed in the Bible. You've read the Bible, right? Every atheist I've ever encountered claims they've already read the Bible from cover-to-cover at least 3 times.

• Winner
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

Victor Medvil

The Human Shadow
Mar 31, 2020
Indianapolis
✟19,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
All we really know about him is what is revealed in the Bible. You've read the Bible, right? Every atheist I've ever encountered claims they've already read the Bible from cover-to-cover at least 3 times.

Yes, I have read the bible once however I would like to hear Christians explain everything that is the goal of this to learn more about your religion from humans that believe it, even if I disagree with you, your perspective is still valid as valid as anyone's view of reality.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,520.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I would like to hear Christians explain everything that is the goal of this to learn more about your religion from humans that believe it.
On this planet oh seeker of truth, people tend to believe in two things, their religion, or what Jesus taught in the scriptures. If you seek religious definition you will go back to your planet unfulfilled as man almost from the beginning, sought to make Jesus' church and teachings over in man's own image (which is anti-Christ for the most part), just as was done before Jesus' time. However what Jesus taught in scripture has remained rock solid, and all point to the Kingdom of God.

Upvote 0

Victor Medvil

The Human Shadow
Mar 31, 2020
Indianapolis
✟19,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
On this planet oh seeker of truth, people tend to believe in two things, their religion, or what Jesus taught in the scriptures. If you seek religious definition you will go back to your planet unfulfilled as man almost from the beginning, sought to make Jesus' church and teachings over in man's own image (which is anti-Christ for the most part), just as was done before Jesus' time. However what Jesus taught in scripture has remained rock solid, and all point to the Kingdom of God.

I study past, present, and future even alternate timelines along with their culture to better understand the nature of reality. The goal is simple to have a understanding of all things and all possible things. Another goal of mine personally is the usage of this vast knowledge to create machinery whether living or non-living and inventions to benefit those which I deem fit for them. I consider myself a Techno-mage of sorts.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,520.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Another goal of mine personally is the usage of this vast knowledge to create machinery whether living or non-living and inventions to benefit those which I deem fit for them.
Carry on with Tesla's work :)

• Informative
Reactions: Aaron112
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,520.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
BTW, speaking of creating something good, how do you plan on keeping anti-Christ man from taking it, weaponizing it, or using it for personal gain as everything has had done to it from the beginning? OR.. is your goal to use it against God and want to understand how to use anti-Christ to your advantage?

• Useful
Reactions: Aaron112
Upvote 0

Paulomycin

Feb 22, 2021
Beaumont/Port Arthur
✟20,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Yes, I have read the bible once however I would like to hear Christians explain everything that is the goal of this to learn more about your religion from humans that believe it, even if I disagree with you, your perspective is still valid as valid as anyone's view of reality.

If the religion teaches outside of the canon of scripture, then it is not orthodox.

• Agree
Reactions: Leet
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Mar 13:14 But when ye shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not, (let him that readeth understand,) then let them that be in Judaea flee to the mountains:
Mar 13:15 And let him that is on the housetop not go down into the house, neither enter therein, to take any thing out of his house:
Mar 13:16 And let him that is in the field not turn back again for to take up his garment.
Mar 13:17 But woe to them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!
Mar 13:18 And pray ye that your flight be not in the winter.
Mar 13:19 For in those days shall be affliction, such as was not from the beginning of the creation which God created unto this time, neither shall be.
Mar 13:20 And except that the Lord had shortened those days, no flesh should be saved: but for the elect's sake, whom he hath chosen, he hath shortened the days.
Mar 13:21 And then if any man shall say to you, Lo, here is Christ; or, lo, he is there; believe him not:

Why would at the time of the Abomination of Desolation would people claim Christ has returned? Well, the AoD is the Antichrist and the Antichrist will claim to be God, even claim to be Christ thus people will be talking about Christ being here.

1Jn 2:18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

So John says Antichrist shall come, and at that present time there were many. Those many are types and shadows while the Antichrist singular that shall come is what we call "The Antichrist".

Anti:

G473
a??t?´
anti
Thayer Definition:
1) over against, opposite to, before
2) for, instead of, in place of (something)
2a) instead of
2b) for
2c) for that, because
2d) wherefore, for this cause
Part of Speech: preposition
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: a primary particle
Citing in TDNT: 1:372, 61

While anti can mean "against" it can also mean instead of as in a copy or forgery...ie: false Christ.

That's why people will say Christ has returned because the Antichrist will claim to be Christ.

Matthew 2:22 But when he heard that Archelaus did reign in Judaea IN THE ROOM OF his father Herod, he was afraid to go thither: notwithstanding, being
warned of God in a dream, he turned aside into the parts of Galilee:

"in the room of" is the word "anti" in the greek (the same anti as antichrist) and from context and history we know that Archelaus was not Herods adversary, but that he was ruling in his place, instead of his father because his father was on his death bed.

ARCHELAUS - JewishEncyclopedia.com

ARCHELAUS:

By: Richard Gottheil, Louis Ginzberg

Son of Herod I.; king of Judea; born about 21 B.C., his mother being the Samaritan Malthace. At the age of fourteen he was sent to Rome for education, and, after a stay of two or three years, returned home with his brothers Antipas and Philip, who likewise had attended the schools of the Imperial City. His return was possibly hastened by the intrigues of Antipater, who by means of forged letters and similar devices calumniated him to his father, in the hope of insuring for him the same sanguinary fate he had prepared for his brothers Aristobulus and Alexander. As a result of these slanders, Herod designated Antipas, his youngest son, as his successor, changing his will to that effect. On his death-bed, however, four days before his demise, the king relinquished his determination and appointed Archelaus to the throne, while Antipas and Philip were made tetrarchs merely. Nothing is known definitely of the occasion for this change, though there may be some foundation for the statement of Archelaus' opponents, that the dying king, in his enfeebled condition, had yielded to some palace intrigue in the latter's favor.

G473
a??t?´
anti
an-tee'
A primary particle; opposite, that is, instead or because of (rarely in addition to): - for, in the room of. Often used in composition to denote contrast, requital, substitution, correspondence, etc.

The anti in Antichrist is therefore a dual meaning, an enemy of Christ and also an impersonator ruling as a false christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Taodeching

Oct 29, 2020
Southwest
✟60,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

He was an Emperor in Ancient Rome, he persecuted Christians, and he was crazy

Upvote 0

Victor Medvil

The Human Shadow
Mar 31, 2020
Indianapolis
✟19,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
BTW, speaking of creating something good, how do you plan on keeping anti-Christ man from taking it, weaponizing it, or using it for personal gain as everything has had done to it from the beginning? OR.. is your goal to use it against God and want to understand how to use anti-Christ to your advantage?

The Anti-Christ is a weakling who uses political power and marks to control people, I am not afraid of such feeble magics, However your God would be more of a challenge I think however I have doubts he is as powerful as he claims, but I would be pleasantly surprised to see the limits of your God's power, can he make a rock so heavy that he himself cannot pick it up? But, I'll tell you what I would try on your God, I would try to blot out the sun and suck him into a blackhole(Black Hole Warheads), I think even a being a light would have trouble with that one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,520.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The Anti-Christ is a weakling who uses political power and marks to control people, I am not afraid of such feeble magics, However your God would be more of a challenge I think however I have doubts he is as powerful as he claims, but I would be pleasantly surprised to see the limits of your God's power.
Understood.

Upvote 0

NomNomPizza

Feb 23, 2021
Warsaw
✟14,265.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
every enemy of Christ is antichrist so you are antichrist to me and to him.
if you talk about the Beast from revelation , there is plenty of videos over internet of book of Revelation and the beast and his agenda.

In short it's guy who comes to power , unites everybody to conquer , conquers 3 out of 10 kings of rebuild Roman empire , he is given power by false prophet and by devil himself , he is kind of resurrected after fatal wound.

He can do wonders and miracles

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

There is no official Christian teaching on the Antichrist. Some Christians, and some specific Christian denominations/groups may have established, official views on the subject; but on the whole there is no official Christian position.

The only explicit mention of "antichrist" in the Bible is found in the 1st and 2nd epistles of St. John,

"Children, it is the last hour, and as you have heard that antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have come." (1 John 2:18)

"Who is the liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, he who denies the Father and the Son." (1 John 2:22)

"and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of antichrist, which you heard was coming, and now is in the world already." (1 John 4:3)

"For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not confess the coming of Jesus Christ in the flesh. Such a one is the deceiver and the antichrist." (2 John 1:7)

Those four passages are the only times the word "antichrist" is used in the Bible.

And based on these, and the contextual statements surrounding them, the implication is that what St. John is referring to is heresy. Specifically the heresy known as Docetism (and probably Cerinthianism as well).

Docetism and Cerenthianism were two closely related heresies in early Christian antiquity, often described as proto-Gnostic. Docetism, from the Greek word dokeo meaning "to seem" was that Jesus only seemed to be human. Docetists taught that Jesus was a purely divine, purely spiritual, non-material phantasm--a kind of divine apparition. Early Docetic texts describe Jesus as not leaving footprints when He walked on the sand, or of trying to touch Jesus and the hand passing right through Him as though He wasn't even there, or even of Jesus taking different forms and shapes. Cerinthianism was a distinct, but not altogether different heresy, named for Cerinthus an early heretic and in Christian tradition one of the foremost opponents of St. John where John ministered. Tradition says that this certain Cerinthus taught that Christ and Jesus were distinct; Christ was a purely spiritual entity that came from God that descended into the human named Jesus when Jesus came to John the Baptist to be baptized. Thus the human Jesus ceased to exist, but served only as a physical vessel for which Christ to inhabit. At the crucifixion, Christ abandoned Jesus on the cross, and the human Jesus was left to die alone and scared, completely confused.

Thus the term "antichrist" has historically been used to describe major heresy in Christianity. And more broadly "antichrist" has been used to describe anything that is fundamentally in opposition to Christ--that which is against Christ--the literal meaning of antichrist.

However there are other things the biblical writers say. For example, St. Paul speaks of a "man of lawlessness" a "son of perdition". Who is this "man of lawlessness" that Paul is talking about? Well, it's not exactly clear. But it has enticed the imagination of Christians for centuries, and so has often (though not universally) been understood as a possible reference to an antichrist figure of some kind. Perhaps a "The Antichrist". This, coupled also with the rather enigmatic statements by St. John of Patmos in the book of the Revelation about a "beast" who rises out of the sea, a man whose name has the numeric value of six hundred and sixty-six.

Because of the ambiguity of such statements, attempts by Christians to formulate a consistent, thorough idea of what these things means has, generally, never happened. Individual Christians have given their opinions over the centuries, but there simply has never been an official Christian position.

As such, to provide a Christian doctrinal position on The Antichrist isn't possible, there isn't one. All positions on the subject are subjective, and largely amount to interpretive opinion.

Will there be a big bad guy at the end of time? Who knows. None of the biblical writers come right out and say such a thing is going to happen. In early Christian literature, such as the writings of the Church Fathers, there is talk about antichrist, but not much. Popular ideas, however, have been that there have been many antichrists, but that one day there will be a final antichrist. That final antichrist will stand against the Christian Church, and try and encourage the rest of the world to join him--but ultimately his purposes won't amount to anything, because in the end Christ will return and set all things to rights. Beyond that, all kinds of endless speculation have occurred throughout history--speculation that has consistently been shown to not be true--speculation arising from whatever happens to be going on in the world at the time. In the 8th century there were speculations that antichrist might arise from the conquering Muslims, who were seizing territory from the Byzantines and a general fear of a grand war against Christendom remained part of Christian imagination throughout the middle ages. In the 20th century, we had Hitler and Stalin, both candidates for being antichrist. And for decades we haven't been able to go a day without a new antichrist being identified.

Which is why such predictions, such speculations, etc are--I consider--pretty worthless.

As such, any dogmatic-sounding positions about "The Antichrist" you hear will only be representative of the individual Christian's denominational/personal theological views. Unlike doctrinal matters about God, Jesus, etc, there is no formal, official, dogmatic and doctrinal standard in Christianity on this particular subject.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: Taodeching
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,520.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Jesus gave us a couple of commandments. To not follow them is to act in the way of anti-Christ. It is not putting labels on those we see as inferior but merely point out those who are still of the world and not of the ways of the Kingdom. The spirit of anti-Christ behaviour is simply increasing today and uniting on a global scale rather than in pockets all over the world. The end of days will simply create a global platform which government of man will totally act in an oppressive self serving way which of course is anti-Christ, failing to put the will of God ahead of the will of man thus not loving all as self.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
My apologies for the double post, but I wanted to also provide my own opinions/views on this matter, rather than simply trying to provide an objective view--which is what my last post was intending to accomplish.

First, I have no set opinion on the matter of "The Antichrist". I neither believe nor disbelieve that there will be some ultimate "bad guy" of sorts. It is, more or less, unimportant to me.

Now, on a general level, I regard "antichrist" to be anything that is against Christ and His Gospel. As such, major heresy is antichrist, when we behave in ways that are contrary to Christ we are being antichrist. When I act against my Lord, such as when I refuse to love my neighbor as I ought, I am being antichrist.

As such "antichrist" is the word we use to describe that which should be considered unacceptable, because it betrays Jesus, betrays our Christian faith, and is injurious to the cause of the Gospel. Such as when self-important people go on television and use Jesus to try and make money from sick, hurting people. Indeed, I can think of few things more antichrist then those who use Christ to cause harm to the sick, the poor, the hungry, and the oppressed.

As it pertains to how I exegete Scripture, for example "the beast" of St. John's Apocalypse (the book of the Revelation), I take an historical position. That is, I regard the content of the text to be chiefly about things and events happening at the time John wrote--probably around the mid 90's AD, during the reign of Emperor Domitian. As such, I subscribe to the opinion that "the beast" is specifically a reference to Emperor Nero, whose name NERON KAISER when using Hebrew gematria (assigning numeric value to names) comes out as six hundred and sixty six (as an aside, it is noteworthy that very early variant texts give the number as six hundred and sixteen, and if we use the variant NERO KAISER, that is the numeric value we get).

In other words, NERON KAISER becomes NRWN QSR when transcribed using Hebrew letters, the numeric value of those letters adds up to six hundred and sixty-six. Alternate spellings are NRW QSR, without the final 'N', and that results in a value of six hundred and sixteen. Both numbers are found in ancient manuscripts of the Revelation. But there is the general opinion that six hundred and sixty-six is original to the text.

So Nero is being specifically mentioned here, in coded language, because John was in exile on Patmos and was writing to Christians living in persecution and trouble in the Roman province of Asia (corresponding to modern south-western Turkey). However Nero was already dead when John wrote the Revelation, but the implication in the text is that the beast who suffers a mortal wound (Nero cut his own throat) is revived, and his image is constructed and all were to worship the image and bear a "mark" of loyalty to the beast. In the years since Nero's death, legends began to circulate that Nero would come back, the Nero Redivivus Legend was a very real part of the later half of the first century.

It is therefore my opinion that what John is writing about is the "return" of Nero in the return of persecution under the Roman Empire. That Nero's hostility against the Church was returning, and it was returning in the form of the Cult of Emperor Worship that was emerging, and in the beginning of periods of intermittent persecution that was beginning in John's time, and would become the status quo in the 2nd and 3rd centuries. No historical records indicate any systemic persecution against Christians during the reign of Domitian (the most likely time when John wrote the Revelation), which has led some to date the Revelation earlier or later than the traditional date. The traditional date of the penning of the Revelation comes to us from St. Irenaeus (late 2nd century) and Eusebius of Caesarea (mid 4th century). It is possible that John was writing a bit later, perhaps during the early reign of Trajan (beginning 98 AD); and we do have historical evidence of persecution against Christians under Trajan, in the form of the exchange of letters between Pliny the Younger when he was governor of Bythnia and Emperor Trajan.

"You have taken the method which you ought in examining the causes of those that had been accused as Christians, for indeed no certain and general form of judging can be ordained in this case. These people are not to be sought for; but if they be accused and convicted, they are to be punished; but with this caution, that he who denies himself to be a Christian, and makes it plain that he is not so by supplicating to our gods, although he had been so formerly, may be allowed pardon, upon his repentance. As for libels sent without an author, they ought to have no place in any accusation whatsoever, for that would be a thing of very ill example, and not agreeable to my reign." - Emperor Trajan's reply to Pliny the Younger, c. 112 AD

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟150,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

As someone else posted, everything you have questions about is in the bible regardless if you believe or not.
Here, you are going to get different opinions, interpretations, etc.

If you've read the bible, what's your take on the Antichrist? The title of the thread is "I want to know about the Antichrist" and assuming you've read the bible, you already know this question as it pertains to the Bible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Victor Medvil

The Human Shadow
Mar 31, 2020
Indianapolis
✟19,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
As someone else posted, everything you have questions about is in the bible regardless if you believe or not.
Here, you are going to get different opinions, interpretations, etc.

If you've read the bible, what's your take on the Antichrist? The title of the thread is "I want to know about the Antichrist" and assuming you've read the bible, you already know this question as it pertains to the Bible.

The Antichrist is a dictator that controls the entire world at some point then forcefully installs some sort of technology or cybernetics into humans to control them. That's my take on the Antichrist. My guess is it happens around the time of the technological singularity or possibly much farther in the future when humans are in space. See, I think the Antichrist wants to enslave the human species if revelations really tells the future. I think that the Antichrist would want to do something like in this thread, Link = The Possibility Of A Dystopian Singularity

People don't realize this but if the technological singularity really happens and people use the technologies for the wrong purposes it can be used to enslave this species forever, instead of it's original purpose which is to make humans immortal/curing aging, I think that the Antichrist is some hacker, engineer, politician, or scientist that uses this technology to make the "Mark Of The Beast" which enslaves humans, but I may have painted the Antichrist in the image of something I strongly disagree with, but in this case it would be "Don't take the mark of the beast it strips away your free will". The Antichrist which initiates the forced installation of such technology.

I hunt people that try to do stuff like this, I would be instantly against anyone that tried to strip away the free will of this species, my nickname for such people is "Chairman Yang" being a character from Scifi that uses technology to make Slaves.

Last edited:
Upvote 0