• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I want to help one of my closest friends using scripture and I don’t know how

Eobard Thawne

Apr 6, 2018
Ohio
✟7,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello,

I’ve never used this before but I thought I’d give it a go. I have a very close friend and she is one of the most important people in my life. I’d do anything for her. She has had an incredibly hard life, she was abused as a child, lost a close sibling, and was also sexually assaulted not too long ago. Also, she blames herself for things she had no control over. She didn’t grow up in a religious family and she isn’t a Christian, but she has some small beliefs and it interests her, she struggles with the fact and asked me why bad things happen to good people, some more than others, and why do some of them die young. Basically why innocent kind people can lose so much; while others (sometimes bad people) don’t. She asked me why He lets this happen and she told me she prays about it. I didn’t really have an answer to comfort her and I was really hoping one of you wonderful people could have some scripture quotes that might help me show her some light and happiness and guidance. It would mean the world to me if she could have some more Faith in God.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and reply.

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Bad things happen because the world is sinful now by nature. Yes it all began in the Garden of Eden when they rebelled against God. So people are evil by nature. GOD only gives and wants good for believers! He says He puts the knowledge of Himself within each of us, and that must be what she senses that causes her to pray to Him. :) He is drawing her to Him....

But Jesus came, died, and came to life again so that He can give us eternal life. That life with Him in heaven will be perfect and only good things will be going on! :D

It's good that she prays, and God does hear her... but she needs to accept God's Gift of Love, Jesus Christ for salvation.

It won't be long, according to what God's Word tells us in the Book of Revelation, that HE will set things straight on this earth---yes it will be soon I believe, not too many years if that! (A thousand years is as a day to the Lord...)

Trauma is difficult to understand, and it makes life hard to understand too. I would suggest she read and reread the Book of John... it's all about the God of Love. God loves her (and you and me too!) and wants her to be comforted knowing that He can heal her and give her eternal life with Him.

Upvote 0

danielmears

Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2018
Phelan
✟132,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

I’ve never used this before but I thought I’d give it a go. I have a very close friend and she is one of the most important people in my life. I’d do anything for her. She has had an incredibly hard life, she was abused as a child, lost a close sibling, and was also sexually assaulted not too long ago. Also, she blames herself for things she had no control over. She didn’t grow up in a religious family and she isn’t a Christian, but she has some small beliefs and it interests her, she struggles with the fact and asked me why bad things happen to good people, some more than others, and why do some of them die young. Basically why innocent kind people can lose so much; while others (sometimes bad people) don’t. She asked me why He lets this happen and she told me she prays about it. I didn’t really have an answer to comfort her and I was really hoping one of you wonderful people could have some scripture quotes that might help me show her some light and happiness and guidance. It would mean the world to me if she could have some more Faith in God.

The book of Hebrews has a lot of scripture about faith, such as "without faith it is impossible to please him; for he that cometh to God must believe that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. Hebrews 11:6 The realm a believer must work in, that is, where faith works is the unseen realm. Hebrews 11:1 says, "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." This is the invisible realm where power, faith moves creating new circumstances when you pray and have faith. Hebrews 11:3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear. This is power-filled scripture once you understand it. The word IS a spiritual force. This completely flips the world upside down making us, the believers, no longer at the mercy of circumstance. Jesus comes and explains that, "the word", is like a seed, this includes your word when aligned with God, attached to the vine and that when we speak the word, this is planting the word then it grows, first the blade, then the ear the full corn in the ear, and we know not how. This is paraphrased from Matthew 4:28. There is an abundance, I mean a lot of scripture about your mouth, your tongue, what comes out of it controls your life. What comes out of your heart, including your faith. Proverbs has a ton of scripture about the mouth and gaining understanding. This understanding they speak of is that faith combined with what you think in your heart and say can and does completely change your life, her life anyone's life who believes. Jesus said time and time again it is done unto you as you believe. He also said, in Matthew 12:35-37 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things. But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment. For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned. So, you really have to control your mouth and thoughts then you may ask whatsoever you will and it will be done. Faith is the most important element, each of us given a "measure" of faith but once you start using it, it with God will absolutely change your life! It is absolutely awesome stuff, but we must gain knowledge, this knowledge is using the word believing God's word. We cannot simply believe in God, in the book of James he comments on this that even the demons believe and tremble. James, Peter and John were with Jesus a lot, he took them many times when he did not take the others, they were with him on the holy mountain when he was transfigured. I tell you this is not just some marvelous tales in a book this is the power of God! And of course the two greatest commandments, Love God and one another, your neighbor as yourself. For God is love, light and spirit! How fantastic and amazing is this! Welcome!

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Hello,

The Lord will discipline people for their own good. Remember:

[17] And as he was setting out on his journey, a man ran up and knelt before him, and asked him, "Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?"
[18] And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone.” Mark 10:17-18 RSV

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tell your friend that the first thing in coming to God for blessings in life, and knowing Him for care, is the Gospel message in the Bible, so one should read John 1; John 3; John 14 to get an introduction to salvation, which is the entrance to all blessings and care by our Creator-God. Your friend and you probably could be reading together in your Bible (and the KJV or NKJV are my recommendation).

Daily readings in the four Gospels, the Acts, and Epistles, will get you acquainted with the mind and ways of God. All hope for mankind is in knowing and trusting God. When one becomes a saint of God by having God's "beloved Son" ---the Lord Jesus in their heart, their life will change for joy. We all need to know God this way for a good life and eternal blessings forever.

I do not suggest one begin their readings in Genesis, for salvation is the first step in knowing God. I was saved and made a "child of God" over 60 years ago when I was led to John 14. That spoke to me very pointedly. We MUST know the Lord Jesus and trust Him to have any part in God-the Father. Don't neglect the reading and prayer to God daily, friend!

I suggest you also visit the web site at www.biblecounsel.net to learn about the Bible and ask questions there. You can write me personally here on Conversations.

• Optimistic
Reactions: danielmears
Upvote 0