I want to get into the word; where should I start?

Coffey

Apr 26, 2019
Buffalo, NY
✟16,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm sure I'll get all sorts of fun answers on this one :p

I've been a Christian for as long as I can remember, and I'm nuts for Jesus, but I realize that I'm going to be at a Spiritual wall until I dive into the bible. Yet, every time I begin at Genesis and try to run it sequentially, I find myself never fully taking it in as much as I guess I could, and eventually I just put it down and never pick it back up.

So my question is where do you guys think would be a good spot to begin?

Thanks! :D

Reactions: Romans 8

Coffey

Apr 26, 2019
Buffalo, NY
✟16,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The MacArthur Daily Bible is good. It comes in Kindle version as well.

If you have the YouVersion Bible App there are several yearly Bible plans.
Wow I never really thought of the idea of looking for a separate book compiling portions of the bible to help me with this. Definitely will look into it, thank you.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

I've been a Christian for as long as I can remember, and I'm nuts for Jesus, but I realize that I'm going to be at a Spiritual wall until I dive into the bible. Yet, every time I begin at Genesis and try to run it sequentially, I find myself never fully taking it in as much as I guess I could, and eventually I just put it down and never pick it back up.

Start with the Gospels.

One person suggested reading a chapter a day from the different kinds of writing in the Bible: Torah, History, Wisdom Literature, Prophets, Gospels, Acts and Epistles.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are 929 chapters in the Old Testament. There are 260 chapters in the New Testament.

You can read three chapters of the OT and one of the NT each day and be complete in one year.

Of course some chapters are longer than others. That’s why a yearly plan works best.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Here are some suggestions to try:

1) Start with the gospel John, or even the letter 1 John for something shorter. The Old Testament is a great help to understanding the New Testament, but there is certainly no need to start there.

2) Find a book called "The Story". It puts all the books together into one big story. You can even find a New Testament version by itself so you wouldn't have to start with Genesis.

3) Grab a children's bible. (Seriously!) You can get the gist of all of the different stories in the bible without getting bogged down with all the begats and the Mosaic laws and all the exact measurements and materials this thing or the other is made out of, etc. Later, you can go back for all that stuff, but a children's bible is great for getting the basics on the stories. If you like graphic novels, they even have a bible version like that too. I believe it's called the Action Bible or something like that.

4) The One A Day type bibles are great. I'd also suggest the Grace for the Moment bible featuring Max Lucado. Every day it has a brief devotional and then the bible reading for the day in the New Century Version of the bible. It's a great version for reading because it doesn't include all the archaic language and yet it's an actual translation vs. a paraphrase.

• Useful
Reactions: Coffey
Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One person suggested reading a chapter a day from the different kinds of writing in the Bible: Torah, History, Wisdom Literature, Prophets, Gospels, Acts and Epistles.
That's a pretty good idea too.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I especially think people need to read John and Romans --- I learned so much when I read those two books!

Christian 2 tim 316.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
3) Grab a children's bible. (Seriously!) You can get the gist of all of the different stories in the bible without getting bogged down with all the begats and the Mosaic laws and all the exact measurements and materials this thing or the other is made out of, etc. Later, you can go back for all that stuff, but a children's bible is great for getting the basics on the stories...

I've actually thought about doing that because I didn't grow up in a home with any religion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Romans 8

Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟114,753.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would start at Mathew, and keep going until Revelation. For an excellent commentary, I would recommend Mathew Henry. He has a commentary on the whole bible which is free if you use e-sword. I absolutely love his commentary, he was a Spirit filled man. God Bless!!

Upvote 0

Coffey

Apr 26, 2019
Buffalo, NY
✟16,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

3) Grab a children's bible. (Seriously!)
I found this one kind of funny, and a good idea. Sometimes I need things just broken down for me a bit more like I'm a little guy again!

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I've actually thought about doing that because I didn't grow up in a home with any religion.

A lot of adults shy away from it because it has "children's" on it and people get weird about that sort of thing (like they do with the "dummies" books), but if you really don't know the basics concerning the stories and people, it's really a great place to start no matter what age. And sometimes the pictures are really good too, so that's a bonus!

Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

A topic, word study, subject study, context study on how Christ healed physically, spiritual or both.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟780,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

I recommend the Gospel of John, to begin with, and then sequentially, with a chapter a day from Psalms and Proverbs. Proverbs has 31 chapters which makes it convenient to remember where you were. Then Genesis, Exodus, wade through the tougher parts (with the easy) till Kings and Chronicles. I personally didn't find the prophets that interesting until I found myself unable to live up to my own conscience, and began to get a real feeling of what cosmic treachery sin is.

I recommend reading large amounts at a sitting. Whole books at a time, for some of them.

• Useful
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

My opinion is that you should start from the New testament and go in a sequence from there.

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

1) Start with the gospel John, or even the letter 1 John for something shorter. The Old Testament is a great help to understanding the New Testament, but there is certainly no need to start there.

2) Find a book called "The Story". It puts all the books together into one big story. You can even find a New Testament version by itself so you wouldn't have to start with Genesis.

3) Grab a children's bible. (Seriously!) You can get the gist of all of the different stories in the bible without getting bogged down with all the begats and the Mosaic laws and all the exact measurements and materials this thing or the other is made out of, etc. Later, you can go back for all that stuff, but a children's bible is great for getting the basics on the stories. If you like graphic novels, they even have a bible version like that too. I believe it's called the Action Bible or something like that.

4) The One A Day type bibles are great. I'd also suggest the Grace for the Moment bible featuring Max Lucado. Every day it has a brief devotional and then the bible reading for the day in the New Century Version of the bible. It's a great version for reading because it doesn't include all the archaic language and yet it's an actual translation vs. a paraphrase.

When I first started I actually read a children's Bible and it gave me an overview particularly the Old Testament which can be daunting at first.

I would start at John as others have suggested, and probably read the New Testament first, while also reading Genesis.

The Psalms are good to read, perhaps one before you go to bed as I do.

Do pray before reading for understanding.
While its good to read through the Bible in a year, don't be too strict with yourself if you are just starting.
Its better to read short portions with understanding than reading certain amounts each day.
Having said all that the main thing is to start and continue!
God bless you:)

• Agree
Upvote 0

FIRESTORM314

Supporter
Feb 20, 2018
The Shires
✟175,096.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well before tackling the Gospels - I would read the book of Isaiah. This explains many of the problems the people had with God, it also shows many of God's complaints about Isreal and also reveals his plan to make a new covenant and the future and blessings ahead for the world.

Having read that - dive into one of the Gospels - possibly Luke then go and read the book of Acts.

These days - I often open the bible at random and read what's in front of me. Then I turn a number of pages - either backwards or forwards to another book in the bible and do this until I get what I feel is revelant. I also pray in advance for understanding and to show me something relevant for the day ahead.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

The Bible is not a 'read it, and get it' Type of book. It's not like a novel, where you read it one time, and you got it.

The Bible is better read, and re-read, over a long period of time.

What works for me, may not be what works for you. But I find reading, and listening to the Daily Audio Bible, works really well. Takes about 20 minutes.

https://dailyaudiobible.com/

You can listen on your phone while you read. Or you can listen to it on the web site. If nothing else, you can follow the daily reading plan.

If you click on 'Listen Now" you do not need to login. There is a "continue as guest" at the bottom of the page.

Then you can see the text they are reading from, for each day.

I've been through the Bible with DAB, about seven times now? At least 6 times.

If you want to read on your own, I have two simple recommendations.

Read one chapter from Proverbs each day. Proverbs has 31 chapters. So it's perfect for one chapter for each day of the month. Good words of wisdom, that can apply to any life.

Second, start with the book of John, and read one chapter of John each day. The go through the rest of the new testament.

• Useful
Upvote 0

mnphysicist

Have Courage to Trust God!
May 11, 2005
South East Minnesota (east of Rochester)
Visit site
✟57,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
My neighbor who has been a Christian a long time asked me this a ways back. I asked him if he knew any crazy stuff in the Bible, and he gave me the look that ok, you've gone off the deep end again.

Since he is bald, I told him, go check out the story about Elisha in 2 Kings and let me know what you think, read it carefully. He again looks at me as if I'm nuts, but agree's to do so.

Next time I'm walking past his place, he yells out she-bears, and he is laughing like crazy.

He then said, know any more, and I told him to check out Ezekiel 23.

Next time I'm walking past his place, he says inappropriate content!!! You had me read inappropriate contento stuff in the Bible and laughs.

He then says... I know how important the Bible is for my Christian walk, but it was really really hard to stay interested in it. I'd start with the best of intentions and nod off. Now, all these years later, its sort of like wow, there's some really crazy stuff in there. I said yep, God shows us a pretty wide swatch of humanity through the scriptures, it was never meant to be a sterile academic history book, or only suitable for proper little old church ladies on Sunday.

Only after priming the pump so to speak did I suggest a possible reading plan.

Revised Common Lectionary

I suggested the RCL, since many of the worlds churches use it, and/or something very close to it for the following reasons.
1. Your daily reading plan, and your pastors sermon are likely synced (granted if you church doesn't use RCL or a variant, this won't work)
2. You will cover the entire Bible in 3 years
3. You won't get buried in just the OT, or just the letters of Paul, or just the Gospels for days on end.
4. You can put in as little as 5 minutes to as much as hours of reading each day. This can be beneficial on days when everything takes a header.

• Useful
Upvote 0