I want to become a nun and join a convent...or live a lifestyle like a monk...

May 28, 2014
Greeneville
Visit site
✟44,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The only problem with that is, is that I don't think there are any nunneries or convents/monasteries where I live. I live in a small town. There are abbeys and nunneries here in the USA, but they are in other states and I can't travel that far.

Maybe I could join an online abbey/nunnery. Is there such a thing in existence?

If I had to choose an offline convent, though, it would be the Benedictine Sisters of Perpetual Adoration: Benedictine Sisters of Perpetual Adoration - Wikipedia

Benedictine Sisters of Perpetual Adoration

And I am sure that my parents won't let me become a nun or live a monastic lifestyle like I want to. I still want to become one though, even if it means going against their wishes.

Are there any established nuns on here I can talk to? How did you become a nun? What do I have to do to become one? Do I have to become Catholic?

I noticed that I praise and worship the LORD a lot each day, and I think this is what nuns do, right? And they pray a lot, right? I do that too, just in my own home. I would make the perfect nun.

I have been thinking about getting a small altar to pray in front of each morning.

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do I have to become Catholic?

I noticed that I praise and worship the LORD a lot each day, and I think this is what nuns do, right? And they pray a lot, right? I do that too, just in my own home. I would make the perfect nun

Yes you would have to become a catholic.
You would then have to apply to a nunnery to be considered as a trainee nun,there is a word for it which I've forgotten. After this training period,if you still want to be a nun and they think you suitable you would take your vows and become one.

No they don't spend all day in church, most nuns go out to work to serve their community and to earn an income to pay for their nunnery's bills.

May I suggest you first talk to your parents and to your minister.
Then find a catholic church and talk to the priest there.

Two questions for you.

What is your relationship with Jesus?

Wht do you know about the differences in belief between what Baptists and catholics believe?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Technically, she wouldn't have to become Catholic. There are other denominations with nuns.

OP, you might also be interested to check this out, as something which requires relatively little commitment while you're exploring: Abbey of the Arts

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

LadyKay

Nov 6, 2017
Midwest
✟23,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The only problem with that is, is that I don't think there are any nunneries or convents/monasteries where I live. I live in a small town. There are abbeys and nunneries here in the USA, but they are in other states and I can't travel that far.

If I had to choose an offline convent, though, it would be the Benedictine Sisters of Perpetual Adoration: Benedictine Sisters of Perpetual Adoration - Wikipedia

And I am sure that my parents won't let me become a nun or live a monastic lifestyle like I want to. I still want to become one though, even if it means going against their wishes.

Are there any established nuns on here I can talk to? How did you become a nun? What do I have to do to become one? Do I have to become Catholic?

I noticed that I praise and worship the LORD a lot each day, and I think this is what nuns do, right? And they pray a lot, right? I do that too, just in my own home. I would make the perfect nun.

I have been thinking about getting a small altar to pray in front of each morning.

This is not something that you just run out and do. It takes a long time to know if this is the right path for you. It can take years to know. It is a whole way of life. Like getting married. So don't be in such a rush to do it. Take your time to find that path that is right for you and the path God wants you to take.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

No. But nuns pray, and they recite the Psalms, and they are celibate. Three things you can certainly do now.

I think a convent would worry about that parental disapproval.

How did you become a nun? What do I have to do to become one? Do I have to become Catholic?

Yes.

Take your time to find that path that is right for you and the path God wants you to take.

Quoted for truth.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

JesusLovesOurLady

Slave of the Handmaid of the Lord
Feb 15, 2017
Roman Catholic Diocese of Nelson
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Hello JacquelineDeane55, sorry I didn't respond to you until now, I do know someone else who also wants to be a nun, I can PM you who her name if you like. I have contacted an expert and let him know about your question you should be hearing from him tomorrow. Again, I'm sorry I didn't respond to your questions until now, I have a lot going on at the moment.

Upvote 0

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I have wanted to become a nun as well but I might not be able to because of disability. Praying to God at home is beautiful too. I think its wonderful that you like to do that.

• Haha
Reactions: Charles in Ky
Upvote 0