I want to be saved but have blasphemed the holy ghost

hobblehonker

Nov 19, 2011
✟7,629.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Private
I want to be saved very badly but have took part in the "blasphemy challenge" in the past to win a free atheist dvd but now I a have started to see that God is real and the truth of creation and am terrified, how can I get saved is there any way if I committed the sin Jesus calls unpardonable. What is the point in living if I will just burn forever in hell no matter what I do....

Reactions: WarriorAngel

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello Honker. A lot depends on whether you attacked God before you knew Him. The natural man might say all kinds of things and do bad things, but if one repents and is faithful and devoted he can be forgiven. Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is very serious. See the quote below for some direction:

"Go into your "closet" -secret place (read Mt. 6:6) and speak to God, confessing you are a sinner and want Him to save you. Then receive His beloved Son, the Lord Jesus, into your heart. Salvation is in a relationship with Him who died for our sins, not in religious works and trying to follow the teachings of Christ. If you honestly do this, God will send His Spirit into your heart and seal you as a "child of God" (John 3). That is the truth of the matter. One ought to then be baptized unto Jesus, the Christ.

"Now, here is a statement that I think you need to see:

GOD CONSCIOUSNESS
I see that when God takes a dealing with one He starts with the CONSCIENCE, and that is where I believe ALL mankind possesses a God-consciousness. Though one may deny it and claim to be an Atheist, God created man this way to be aware of the Creator. So-called Atheists expend great energy and time denying God because of their God-consciousness which troubles them. When God begins His work in one there is what the Bible states as "quickening" (awakening and arousal, making alive unto God). One has a window of opportunity I believe to listen to God, seriously consider what God has done and is doing for man, then can receive it or reject it. At some point in time a decision may be made by one in their heart (known only to God) that they "will not have Him to rule over them" (see these verses Lk. 19:14; Rom. 1:28; 2 Cor. 4:3-4). Satan then enters and controls that one. Those others that believe God's beloved Son, the Lord Jesus, and receive Him are then indwelt and sealed by the Holy Spirit ("new birth"); and they can go forth rejoicing in fellowship with Him. That is salvation and eternal life. One can see God's mind on this at John 3 and John 14." - RLD ]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jehoiakim

Servant
Jun 24, 2011
New Jersey
✟17,202.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
my understanding of those verses is that this is only "unpardonable" as long as you continue in the sin of blaspheme, you cannot blaspheme the Holy Spirit while claiming to be a a follower of Christ. It is not that making the mistake once will ruin your possibility of being saved, but that you cannot be a christian and continue to blaspheme the work of God... you were a non believer at the time so the sin is somewhat irrelevant because you are genuinely repentant of if it.

I hope that is not to confusing, but if it is please take comfort in the fact that Peter who was a believer and a follower of Christ denied him 3 times, but he did not loose his salvation

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I want to be saved very badly but have took part in the "blasphemy challenge" in the past to win a free atheist dvd but now I a have started to see that God is real and the truth of creation and am terrified, how can I get saved is there any way if I committed the sin Jesus calls unpardonable. What is the point in living if I will just burn forever in hell no matter what I do....

Scripture teaches that no one seeks after God.
None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God.
Romans 3:10-11
Rather, those who come to God do so as a result of the Father drawing them.
No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day. It is written in the Prophets, ‘And they will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to me— not that anyone has seen the Father except he who is from God; he has seen the Father. Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life. I am the bread of life.
John 6:44-48
If the Father is drawing you to Him, then there was no unpardonable sin committed, because when Father draws a person who believes in faith the gospel of Christ, Jesus declares He will raise you up.

Athiests don't understand the ways of God, at all (1 Cor 2). Just because they determine you have committed the unpardonable sin, doesn't mean they actually have a clue what they are talking about. They speak out of their own ignorance.

Rather, the Father knows what's going on, and if He's calling to you, don't refuse Him.

Upvote 0
P

Publius

For those who don't remember, the "Blasphemy Challenge" was essentially a series of videos by atheists in which they said the line, "I deny the Holy Spirit" with the idea that they were so confident that there is no God that they would burn their bridges to salvation by "denying the Holy Spirit".

Can I let you in on a little secret, hobblehonker? That's not what the Bible means when it talks about the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

It's a sin, yes, but not blasphemy of the Holy Spirit and no worse than any sin every one of us commits on a day to day basis.

If it makes you feel any better, when I was a new Christian, I thought Kenneth Copeland was the most brilliant Christian theologian who ever lived. Worse than that, I voted for Christine O'Donell (the "I'm not a witch" girl). So you're not the first person to be taken in by something stupid.

So, no, you haven't blasphemed the Holy Spirit. To the contrary, the fact that you say you want to be saved is evidence that you have not, because when one blasphemes the Holy Spirit, God turns them over to their sin and they're no longer interested in salvation.

Now on to the important stuff: why do you want to be saved and what do you think that means?

Upvote 0

golgotha61

World Christian in Progress
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2011
Ohio
✟79,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The One upon whom God put His Spirit (Matt. 12:18) was the One termed working through Satan by the Pharisees. God had said, "I will put My Spirit upon Him" (12:18), but the leaders said, "This man casts out demons only by Beelzebul the ruler of the demons" (12:24). The sin was committed in a historical context.

The question that may be asked is, Can the sin against the Holy Spirit be committed today? To commit the sin of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit would require the physical presence of Jesus Christ in which He would teach and perform miracles while the hearers and onlookers would reject His ministry saying He is working by the power of Satan. The sin of blasphemy against the Spirit is not the same as unbelief. There is no indication in Scripture that if a person has once refused the gospel that he will never again have an opportunity to believe nor is there a particular sin today that cannot be forgiven. Who has not refused the gospel the first time they heard it but later came to believe in Christ?

(The Moody Handbook of Theology pg 276).

Upvote 0

Jamesja

Dec 29, 2011
colorado, usa
✟15,397.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
This has already been said. If God is calling you you can be saved. God does not lie. He would not give you the desire to be saved and then close the door for salvation. The devil is trying to get you into despair.
If anyone was unworthy of salvation it was Saul (Paul) the Christian killer. God saved him with wonderful results. God wants to do the same for you.

Upvote 0

InSpiritInTruth

May 15, 2011
State of Grace
✟11,335.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Hebrews 6:4-6

King James Version (KJV)

4For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
5And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, 6If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

There are alot of people who think they have recieved the Holy Spirit, but have not. You can not blaspheme the Holy Spirit unless you had already recieved Him.

If you are feeling repentant, that is a good sign that you never had the Spirit of God dwelling in you to begin with.

Satan tries to cast doubts in your heart and mind, believe in God and repent of your sins, and ask the Father for his Spirit to guide you to his Truth, which is in Christ Jesus.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
if I will just burn forever in hell no matter what I do....
Please show me the scripture which condemns you to burn in hell for blasphemy. I know the scripture that says it will never be forgiven but I do not necessarily equate that to mean hell, there may be other forms of punishment that God can give. The blemish of sin on the soul when living among a holy nation would be quite sufficient, I imagine. Please don't turn out to be one of these trolls who post's a verse just to kick up the dust. I would like to see your brain and body working for Jesus' sake. Welcome to CF :hug:

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
God is loving and merciful. Understanding blasphemy and what it is exactly is not possible. Whatever you did, it was not unforgivable. That would be true if the Bible was without error--but it is not and therefor you worry needlessly.

Upvote 0

GA777

May 17, 2011
✟15,698.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Even if the sin is unpardonable, it does not mean that you can't get saved. Everyone dies with mortal sins and I think if you didn't make anyone lose his faith or influence it in any way, I wouldn't think that would be considered as a mortal sin. And even if you did, you can still be saved, even if you don't get it pardoned, you can remove its significance if you do good works in its place. God is so merciful and patient, don't worry.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

birdie29

Jan 8, 2012
✟8,454.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I think anyone who was saved and attended church simi-regularily at a young age and then fell away as a young adult wrestles with this. especially if your life is less than perfect. I know it caused me great anxiety as a young adult... It is very hard for thinking people to not question what they cannot see or touch from time to time... It is equally hard to stay without sin for an entire lifetime. those of us who didn't have the privilege of a christian upbringing and the encouragement of christian family often bounce back and forth between the ways of God and the ways of man. It has been explained to me that Wanting to live for Christ is evidence enough that you haven't committed the unpardonable sin... I certainly hope that is the case, or I am in deep trouble.

I gain comfort in the fact that Gods chosen committed grievous sins from time to time.. David commited adultery and then had someone killed to cover it up...I'm sure he's in heaven...

Also, their are true born again christians who have persecuted people in the name of God.. they were ignorant, but they were sinning.. I believe they are in heaven as well.
I'm speaking of witch hunts, and slavery here, wars..... People have died and have been persecuted because CHRISTIANS were overtaken by their own holiness and committed murder and sin. Many blacks and native americans were raped and murdered by good Christian people who did not believe killing blacks or indians was a crime. Many women have been beaten, enslaved and even murdered by men (even clergymen) who thought themselves qualified to judge them.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

The "blasphemy challenge" isn't the unpardonable sin. It was cute in its own way, but it's not going to get anyone condemned for eternity.

If you believe in Christ, then have confidence in Him. For where our sin abounds, God's grace abounds all the more. If we believe in Christ, then we can say with confidence that God is a kind God, a gracious God, an all-compassionate and loving Father.

There is no one beyond hope. None beyond grace.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ckonrad

Feb 9, 2012
✟15,126.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
you haven't blasphemed against the holy spirit. in order to blaspheme against the holy spirit you would have had to know that christ was who he said he was and then reject him by attributing his miracles to the devil, or you would have had to have a spiritual epiphany of some kind that brought full knowledge of the truth and then reject it. look at the apostle paul, before he was saved he killed christians and persecuted them he rejected christ completely and demonized christ.. yet he was saved later on and christ chose him as the primary author of the new testament. look at peter, peter rejected christ 3 times even after he was saved and peter isn't lost because peter didn't blaspheme against the holy spirit. the mere fact that you are concerned about the issue shows that you have not committed the unforgivable sin if you had you would be totally apathetic and wouldn't care at all about whether you had done it or not, you would also hate christianity if you had committed that sin. If the apostle paul a murdered and persecutor of christians can be saved then anyone can.

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2012
Canada
✟7,738.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Romans 11:23 NIV
23 And if they do not persist in unbelief, they will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again.

The key word here is "again". Until our last breathe on this earth, we are forgiven if we believe, for if God commands us to forgive more than once, will He not forgive us?

Matthew 18:21-22 NIV
21 Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?”
22 Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.

2 Peter 3:9 NIV
9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

Upvote 0

Harry3142

Apr 9, 2006
Ohio
✟20,229.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
hobblehonker-

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is a sin that only those who claim to be followers of God can commit. In the passage you are referring to, Jesus had just had his work condemned by Pharisees who knew better, but were trying to drive a wedge between him and the people through libelous slander. They had become so anxious to preserve their own authority that they were willing to identify the work that they knew the Spirit had done through Christ as inspired by satanic forces instead.

Today examples of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit would be those who have proclaimed themselves to be Christian leaders while in actuality having the agenda of 'pushing' the philosophy of a certain special-interest organization. Another example would be those whose true agenda is to gain wealth and power for themselves. Still another agenda would be those whose true agenda is to make every attempt to tear down the Christian faith.

But it is a sin that cannot be done as a joke or an attempt to get a DVD. It must be committed by those who are cold and calculating, deliberately using Christ and the cross as a smokescreen in order to better obtain what they really want.

Upvote 0