Morgantown
✟12,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello, I found a catholic church in my town I wouldn’t nind attending. I was raises in both my dads side pentecostal and my moms side methodist churches. Now that I am a man those churches do not appeal to me as they once did. However I do not know how I should appoarch this? Is it rude to just walk into sunday service without being invited? I know protestant churches atleast ones i’ve attended people were free to enter for sunday sermon. Catholic is new for me no one I know attends... I am unsure about times listed on their website seems catholics attend church more times in a day than my old church. Anyways, tips?

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Hello, I found a catholic church in my town I wouldn’t nind attending. I was raises in both my dads side pentecostal and my moms side methodist churches. Now that I am a man those churches do not appeal to me as they once did. However I do not know how I should appoarch this? Is it rude to just walk into sunday service without being invited? I know protestant churches atleast ones i’ve attended people were free to enter for sunday sermon. Catholic is new for me no one I know attends... I am unsure about times listed on their website seems catholics attend church more times in a day than my old church. Anyways, tips?
No invitation would be needed. Just don't take communion (as a non-Catholic) during the mass. Welcome to CF.

• Agree
Reactions: DavidFirth
Upvote 0

DavidFirth

Saved by the blood of the Lamb
Site Supporter
Nov 8, 2017
North Georgia
✟47,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I just attended and found I liked worshipping with Catholics. Now I am Catholic.

All are welcome, please attend if you want to.

Upvote 0

DavidFirth

Saved by the blood of the Lamb
Site Supporter
Nov 8, 2017
North Georgia
✟47,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
And welcome to CF!

Have some bacon
cooked-bacon-small.jpg

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to CF.

You certainly can go to a Catholic mass without being invited. As HereIStand said, though, do not go up for communion, if you are not Roman Catholic.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
There will typically be two or maybe three Sunday morning services. Maybe one Saturday evening, and or Sunday evening that count as well. Oh, and daily mass at most Catholic churches. The one with the best music will probably be mid morning or late morning on Sunday.

You can walk in and take a seat. You don't need to provide your name unless you wish to. Stand, sit, or kneel as you feel comfortable. Pray or sing as you feel comfortable. You can receive a blessing at communion time by going up with your arms crossed in front of you. They should get that and bless you instead of giving you communion. Or at communion time you can just stay sitting. Your choice. Nothing wrong with sitting through communion. Once you believe as a Catholic and are confirmed then you too can go up to receive communion.

If you like what you see, consider becoming Catholic. You talk to a priest about that. The normal plan of action would be to sign up for RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults) to explore the faith in detail and to discern carefully. It isn't something you can just up and do in five minutes. Be prepared for multiple months of discernment followed by the sacrament of confirmation. People do it all the time, and consider that the attention to detail is worth it. You will know a lot more after RCIA and then you are free to join or not.

• Informative
Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Welcome, Only Human.

Catholic churches are often big enough that they have more than one service, but they are all about same and no one is expected to attend more than once on Sunday. That's something like the postings of movie theatre showings.

They are just accommodating peoples different schedules. Other denominations do not have as many members, so one service is sufficient for them.

Feel free to attend. Just go in and be seated by an usher if there is one, or just take a seat. You may be handed a program. In any case, there will be standing, sitting, and kneeling. If you feel comfortable following along with what others do, copy them as they change postures. If you do not, just sit there and don't feel embarrassed. If someone says a word of welcome on the way out and asks about you, just say you are interested in Catholicism and decided to visit. No one will consider that odd.

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums