• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

i want to attend a catholic church

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by OnlyHuman777, Dec 3, 2017.

1. OnlyHuman777

OnlyHuman777 New Member

+1
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Hello, I found a catholic church in my town I wouldn’t nind attending. I was raises in both my dads side pentecostal and my moms side methodist churches. Now that I am a man those churches do not appeal to me as they once did. However I do not know how I should appoarch this? Is it rude to just walk into sunday service without being invited? I know protestant churches atleast ones i’ve attended people were free to enter for sunday sermon. Catholic is new for me no one I know attends... I am unsure about times listed on their website seems catholics attend church more times in a day than my old church. Anyways, tips?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. HereIStand

HereIStand Regular Member Supporter

+2,987
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    No invitation would be needed. Just don't take communion (as a non-Catholic) during the mass. Welcome to CF.

3. DavidFirth

DavidFirth Saved by the blood of the Lamb Supporter

+15,039
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I just attended and found I liked worshipping with Catholics. Now I am Catholic.

All are welcome, please attend if you want to.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  4. DavidFirth

DavidFirth Saved by the blood of the Lamb Supporter

+15,039
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    And welcome to CF!

Have some bacon
    [​IMG]

5. OnlyHuman777

OnlyHuman777 New Member

+1
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Thank you for the replies and the welcome.

6. Shoetoyou

Shoetoyou Sinner Supporter

+2,585
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Welcome to CF.

You certainly can go to a Catholic mass without being invited. As HereIStand said, though, do not go up for communion, if you are not Roman Catholic.

7. chevyontheriver

chevyontheriver Well-Known Member

+3,545
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    There will typically be two or maybe three Sunday morning services. Maybe one Saturday evening, and or Sunday evening that count as well. Oh, and daily mass at most Catholic churches. The one with the best music will probably be mid morning or late morning on Sunday.

You can walk in and take a seat. You don't need to provide your name unless you wish to. Stand, sit, or kneel as you feel comfortable. Pray or sing as you feel comfortable. You can receive a blessing at communion time by going up with your arms crossed in front of you. They should get that and bless you instead of giving you communion. Or at communion time you can just stay sitting. Your choice. Nothing wrong with sitting through communion. Once you believe as a Catholic and are confirmed then you too can go up to receive communion.

If you like what you see, consider becoming Catholic. You talk to a priest about that. The normal plan of action would be to sign up for RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults) to explore the faith in detail and to discern carefully. It isn't something you can just up and do in five minutes. Be prepared for multiple months of discernment followed by the sacrament of confirmation. People do it all the time, and consider that the attention to detail is worth it. You will know a lot more after RCIA and then you are free to join or not.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+17,135
    Anglican
    Married
    Welcome, Only Human.

Catholic churches are often big enough that they have more than one service, but they are all about same and no one is expected to attend more than once on Sunday. That's something like the postings of movie theatre showings.

They are just accommodating peoples different schedules. Other denominations do not have as many members, so one service is sufficient for them.

Feel free to attend. Just go in and be seated by an usher if there is one, or just take a seat. You may be handed a program. In any case, there will be standing, sitting, and kneeling. If you feel comfortable following along with what others do, copy them as they change postures. If you do not, just sit there and don't feel embarrassed. If someone says a word of welcome on the way out and asks about you, just say you are interested in Catholicism and decided to visit. No one will consider that odd.

9. EmmaCat

EmmaCat Happy Cop Wife! Supporter Angels Team CF Ambassadors

+1,685
    United States
    Fundament. Christ.
    Married
    US-Republican
    Welcome to CF and bless you!

10. Little Lantern

Little Lantern Be encouraged! Christ has overcome the world! Supporter

+2,319
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Greetings, and welcome to CF, @OnlyHuman777. May you find godly encouragement, good fellowship, and engaging discussion here. God bless you.