Florida
✟324,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Interesting that you mention becoming a hermit. Members of the early church did just that. The traditions of those early hermits continue in the monasteries of Orthodoxy.

Please know that I am quite biased in this. I am a former protestant who dabbled for a while in the SDA church.

After years of study I eventually found that the Orthodox Church is the original. I have nothing against my Catholic bretheren.

I'm not certain of the Orthodox churches in London but I can help you find one.i can also point out to you extensive and valuable reading on the subject if you'd like.

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I have a similar desire as you do, but I don't know of any churches or groups who fit the bill. I want to be part of a church that teaches more about Jewish practices as commanded in the Bible, but does not expect old Law from the Torah to be followed by Christian believers in order to receive salvation or blessings in this life. I can't find one that fits this description.

For me personally, I believe in dispensationalism for the most part as I understand it, but I also believe that we can observe religious Jewish customs if we choose. I love a Sabbath on Saturday and celebrating Shabbat (but my current job has me working on Saturdays). I enjoy Hanukkah, and want to learn more about other Jewish holidays. I don't think we are required to observe these things, but I believe we are allowed to.

A Scripture reference for this is Romans 14:5-6 One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God.

In fact, I think that whole chapter of Romans 14 will help you to understand. One of your questions was if Jesus fulfilled the law, then why did apostles continue to follow it. There was debate about it at the time, and they had to come to terms with God, within themselves, and with each other over it because not all of them did.

A resource I have been using lately is a program by a Messianic Jewish Evangelist named Rabbi Kirt Schneider. He has a broadcast called "Discovering the Jewish Jesus." I don't always agree with everything he says, but it has been very valuable to learn more about Scripture and how to apply it as a Christian. I watch him on YouTube, but he is also on TV and I think you can order DVDs or CDs. (Youtube is free).

It doesn't take the place of having like-minded believers to fellowship with, but it is very helpful as far as learning more.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have a similar desire as you do, but I don't know of any churches or groups who fit the bill. I want to be part of a church that teaches more about Jewish practices as commanded in the Bible, but does not expect old Law from the Torah to be followed by Christian believers in order to receive salvation or blessings in this life. I can't find one that fits this description.

For me personally, I believe in dispensationalism for the most part as I understand it, but I also believe that we can observe religious Jewish customs if we choose. I love a Sabbath on Saturday and celebrating Shabbat (but my current job has me working on Saturdays). I enjoy Hanukkah, and want to learn more about other Jewish holidays. I don't think we are required to observe these things, but I believe we are allowed to.

A Scripture reference for this is Romans 14:5-6 One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God.

In fact, I think that whole chapter of Romans 14 will help you to understand. One of your questions was if Jesus fulfilled the law, then why did apostles continue to follow it. There was debate about it at the time, and they had to come to terms with God, within themselves, and with each other over it because not all of them did.

A resource I have been using lately is a program by a Messianic Jewish Evangelist named Rabbi Kirt Schneider. He has a broadcast called "Discovering the Jewish Jesus." I don't always agree with everything he says, but it has been very valuable to learn more about Scripture and how to apply it as a Christian. I watch him on YouTube, but he is also on TV and I think you can order DVDs or CDs. (Youtube is free).

It doesn't take the place of having like-minded believers to fellowship with, but it is very helpful as far as learning more.
Romans 14 is such an important passage, yes! :)

A wonderful study is looking for Messianic passages in the Old Testament, especially Psalms and Isaiah! As Hebrews shows, what we have in Christ is indeed 'better' than anything that went before in the Old Testament, but it's wonderful to see those Messianic roots in the Old Testament Scriptures! :)

Reactions: JAM2b
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The various churches that descend from the former Worldwide Church of God, such as the United COG, Living COG, etc. are similar on with respect to the Jewish elements. The Seventh Day Baptists might be right for someone looking for what CuriousaboutChrist outlined but not with that same emphasis on all the Jewish holidays, dietary regs, etc.

Upvote 0

Curiousaboutchrist26

Curiousaboutchrist26
Jun 4, 2015
London, UK
✟14,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour

Thank you I will go study these passages more deeply :)
I'm not certain of the Orthodox churches in London but I can help you find one.i can also point out to you extensive and valuable reading on the subject if you'd like.

I have actually been interested in the orthodox since the beginning of my struggle but I'm always quite weary of attending a Greek Orthodox or Eastern orthodox or any of these churches with a specific European culture since I am Black-British. I'm not afraid of racism I'm afraid of doing something culturally inappropriate or offending someone whilst at church simply because i do not know the culture of the people and if they would understand I'm simply just searching for a church to call home i personally like learning about all different cultures but would find it incredibly humiliating if i made a fool of myself through making some incorrect statements through my own ignorance. i'm eager to find people who i can share my love for god with as i have good friends who are non christian and i love them and they love me but they do not seem to understand that my christianity is a big part of my identity and i can never speak to them about this important part of my life because they brush me off as being an extremist as you can understand this gets very lonely at times. i would like information on the hermits as well as the orthodox church and their beliefs if it wouldn't be too much trouble? i have tried searching over the years but i haven't been that successful. :)

let me clarify I'm not hung up on keeping Torah but it would be nice to have these answers to why we dont keep torah correctly answered Sabbath is a big deal to me because i have kept it my whole life and i see it as something that has truly helped me on my way to a better relationship with God however if i can get to a situation where i dont feel the need to keep the sabbath on saturday then im all for Sunday worship i attended an anglican church for a long time in school as well as adventist church and actually felt that my faith grew in the anglican church and i felt like i was truly worshipping learning and growing there but things happen and im unable to attend that church anymore.

Upvote 0

Josephus

<b>Co-Founder Christian Forums</b>
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2000
Kerbal Space Center
✟150,343.00
Faith
Messianic
Thank you I will go study these passages more deeply :)

I have actually been interested in the orthodox since the beginning of my struggle but I'm always quite weary of attending a Greek Orthodox or Eastern orthodox or any of these churches with a specific European culture since I am Black-British. I'm not afraid of racism I'm afraid of doing something culturally inappropriate or offending someone whilst at church simply because i do not know the culture of the people and if they would understand I'm simply just searching for a church to call home i personally like learning about all different cultures but would find it incredibly humiliating if i made a fool of myself through making some incorrect statements through my own ignorance. i'm eager to find people who i can share my love for god with as i have good friends who are non christian and i love them and they love me but they do not seem to understand that my christianity is a big part of my identity and i can never speak to them about this important part of my life because they brush me off as being an extremist as you can understand this gets very lonely at times. i would like information on the hermits as well as the orthodox church and their beliefs if it wouldn't be too much trouble? i have tried searching over the years but i haven't been that successful. :)

let me clarify I'm not hung up on keeping Torah but it would be nice to have these answers to why we dont keep torah correctly answered Sabbath is a big deal to me because i have kept it my whole life and i see it as something that has truly helped me on my way to a better relationship with God however if i can get to a situation where i dont feel the need to keep the sabbath on saturday then im all for Sunday worship i attended an anglican church for a long time in school as well as adventist church and actually felt that my faith grew in the anglican church and i felt like i was truly worshipping learning and growing there but things happen and im unable to attend that church anymore.

The best answer as to why Gentiles don't keep the majority of Torah laws, is because most Torah laws are for Jews, just as some are for women, and some are for Levites, and some are for descendents of Aaron. A Gentile is not obligated to keeping all of the laws of Torah, just as a man is not obligated to keep the laws for women. This is a Jewish, Hebrew bible based answer.

I suggest finding a congregation wherever G-d leads you to, and not try to find a perfect one, since one doesn't exist. You can grow anywhere, as long as you keep your head and ask good questions, and never be afraid of the answers. Shalom.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟902,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey, I haven't written in this forum for almost a year so please be nice, when i first wrote in this forum I was 19 and ready to give up on Christ and faith all together and instead he sent me to a seminary college situation where I quickly discovered that for me Christianity as it is Protestantism i should say just doesn't cut it for me there is something Severely missing for me when I attend church.

I was Raised Seventh-day Adventist and attended a seminary for this denomination and although i believe in sabbath that's about all that i can agree on with this denomination. the people are not bad as i believe in all denominations (and even religions) whether i agree or not on their beliefs they are all gods children and its not for me to judge they faith or relationship with christ.

my major problem is none of my questions have been answered by anybody about the basics of what i believe to be important factors for anyone to follow a religion or organization examples:

Why do we believe Ellen G. White was a prophet? do we have any proof?- answer is usually something about her writings and then we have to have faith (not good enough for me sorry)
why do we not observer torah like the jews? - jesus abolished the law (ok cool but why were all the apostles torah observant jews after the fact of jesus ressurection)

so many issues this is just not the place...

I'm looking for a new church because my beliefs no longer align with what the church is.. not what it says it stands for. I have been to many SDA churches and i can no longer keep saying this is the church for me its just the people not the organisation i have come to realise unfortunately it is the organization. its based on the person of ellen white and not of christ anymore and so i need help im looking for a church with some really important beliefs to me:

most be sabbath keeping
NO modern Prophet - Joseph smith, ellen white etc
Trinitarian
Must be believing in christ as divine and the sacrificial lamb who was slain for our sins.

the reason why im interested in Torah observant christianity and messianic judaism movements is because of the traditions of the feast days i find that when i fast for lent catholic tradition i know but i do it and it helps me become closer to God i wonder if keeping feast days will help me become closer to him in the same way and ofcourse sabbath keeping the use of hebrew words which i studied in seminary makes sense to me and ofcourse its link to the original faith of the apostles

ofcourse understand although i am a firm Believer that jesus christ is my lord and saviour i currently do not feel that i am a part of a community of believer that i can continue my journey with Christ with and can keep growing closer to him. (hope that makes sense) ofcourse i will check out the churches the churches if they simply don't fit then that will be it.

Can i get any help please and if you are in the London UK please let me know of any churches that fit in this criteria in this area i will be so greatful. im ready to become a hermit im desperate.

apologies for typos and spelling mistakes and lack of capitals i had to write this fast and didnt have time to check

I am not sure if this thread is still alive and you have made your decision. I just want you to know that you will not find truth in religious systems as they are mostly made by man. Judaism as it existed during the days Jesus Christ of Nazareth is not the same as Judaism today. One big missing central part of Judaism is the temple. And God destroyed it.
So what you, as a future proselyte, seek not Jesus Christ of Nazareth, but a system that follows the Sabbath. Please, I encourage you to look into Jesus Christ of Nazareth as your Sabbath rest. You will find that He is all you need to feed your hungry soul.
God bless

Upvote 0

Claudia4Christ

Apr 19, 2019
London
✟7,906.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hey, I haven't written in this forum for almost a year so please be nice, when i first wrote in this forum I was 19 and ready to give up on Christ and faith all together and instead he sent me to a seminary college situation where I quickly discovered that for me Christianity as it is Protestantism i should say just doesn't cut it for me there is something Severely missing for me when I attend church.

I was Raised Seventh-day Adventist and attended a seminary for this denomination and although i believe in sabbath that's about all that i can agree on with this denomination. the people are not bad as i believe in all denominations (and even religions) whether i agree or not on their beliefs they are all gods children and its not for me to judge they faith or relationship with christ.

my major problem is none of my questions have been answered by anybody about the basics of what i believe to be important factors for anyone to follow a religion or organization examples:

Why do we believe Ellen G. White was a prophet? do we have any proof?- answer is usually something about her writings and then we have to have faith (not good enough for me sorry)
why do we not observer torah like the jews? - jesus abolished the law (ok cool but why were all the apostles torah observant jews after the fact of jesus ressurection)

I'm looking for a new church because my beliefs no longer align with what the church is.. not what it says it stands for. I have been to many SDA churches and i can no longer keep saying this is the church for me its just the people not the organisation i have come to realise unfortunately it is the organization. its based on the person of ellen white and not of christ anymore and so i need help im looking for a church with some really important beliefs to me:

most be sabbath keeping
Trinitarian
Must be believing in christ as divine and the sacrificial lamb who was slain for our sins.

the reason why im interested in Torah observant christianity and messianic judaism movements is because of the traditions of the feast days i find that when i fast for lent catholic tradition i know but i do it and it helps me become closer to God i wonder if keeping feast days will help me become closer to him in the same way and ofcourse sabbath keeping the use of hebrew words which i studied in seminary makes sense to me and ofcourse its link to the original faith of the apostles

ofcourse understand although i am a firm Believer that jesus christ is my lord and saviour i currently do not feel that i am a part of a community of believer that i can continue my journey with Christ with and can keep growing closer to him. (hope that makes sense) ofcourse i will check out the churches the churches if they simply don't fit then that will be it.

Can i get any help please and if you are in the London UK please let me know of any churches that fit in this criteria in this area i will be so greatful. im ready to become a hermit im desperate.

apologies for typos and spelling mistakes and lack of capitals i had to write this fast and didnt have time to check

Upvote 0

Claudia4Christ

Apr 19, 2019
London
✟7,906.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello All,

I would also like to to know if there are any Sabbath Keeping Churches in London ideally in or around (North London, Southgate, Winchmore Hill, Enfield) area to be specific. I Am willing to travel further within reason so I won't disregard if a Bible Following Sabbath Church

most be sabbath keeping
Trinitarian

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Claudia4Christ

Apr 19, 2019
London
✟7,906.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello All,

I would also like to to know if there are any Sabbath Keeping Churches in London ideally in or around (North London, Southgate, Winchmore Hill, Enfield) area to be specific. However, I Am willing to travel a further within reason so I won't disregard if anyone has a suggestion of a Bible Following Sabbath Day Church.

It would be much appreciated.

Upvote 0