New York
✟12,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I watched a movie that had disturbing images in it and ever since it has scarred me and has negatively affected my life. The trauma sticks with me, and I get panic attacks a lot and my thoughts just crumble and the thoughts won’t go away. I want to go to a therapist but my dad always pushes me to go to a pastor or teen leader to help me. But I want professional help! People that work with anxiety head on! I don’t want this! There are no online therapists that are free. I don’t know what to do!!!

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I watched a movie that had disturbing images in it and ever since it has scarred me and has negatively affected my life. The trauma sticks with me, and I get panic attacks a lot and my thoughts just crumble and the thoughts won’t go away. I want to go to a therapist but my dad always pushes me to go to a pastor or teen leader to help me. But I want professional help! People that work with anxiety head on! I don’t want this! There are no online therapists that are free. I don’t know what to do!!!
I don't think you're going to find a free therapist, other than a pastor. Have you tried prayer?

Upvote 0

Long Island Pilgrim

Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2016
NY
✟67,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Caleb22,

I think your Dad is wiser than you may realize.

I have a resource to share with you that I think you and your Dad will both feel good about . You should allow your Dad to review the Ministry website which I am enclosing before you make contact if you are not of legal age. They answer questions related to your concerns and all kinds of other life and health concerns. When you go to the website they offer a service where you can subscribe for $24.99 a month and ask questions to elders and experienced Christians who do professional Christian counseling. It's called the "Overcommers Community" and there is a link to click on at the top of the page. You can cancel after one month and you can ask as many questions as you like during that one month. They answer questions about mental and physical health conditions for Christians . People travel from all over the world to make inquiries and recieve help at their ministry. At the very least they will guide you to other resources in the event that that cant help you. But, based on the nature of your concern...I believe they can help. Just make certain they still offer the service of asking questions because i havn't been to their website in years and they may have changed things a bit. You can always contact them and inquire the best way to talk to someone about your problem.

There are also lots of professional Christian counseling organizations that your Dad can research to find someone in your area but they are going to be far more expensive than $24.99 and they will likely want to engage you for many sessions.
Heres the link to their website : Be in Health

I pray for your healing and wellbeing.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Angeldove97
Upvote 0

Theodoric

Feb 21, 2018
Tennessee
✟18,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Well, many pastors are trained professionally in counselling, would it have to be your pastor, or would your dad consider letting you go to a church cross-denominationally for counselling? That may be a reasonable compromise.

Also, be careful what you wish for. Many secular therapists will not help. At all. They'll just further confuse you.

Reactions: BisonBubbles
Upvote 0

Caleb22

Hello
Dec 27, 2017
New York
✟12,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Well, many pastors are trained professionally in counselling, would it have to be your pastor, or would your dad consider letting you go to a church cross-denominationally for counselling? That may be a reasonable compromise.

Also, be careful what you wish for. Many secular therapists will not help. At all. They'll just further confuse you.
I don't know, because I'm not quite sure if my pastor can help me. I'm just really confused and don't know what to do. I'm on my own at this point and I just want help to rid this anxiety. I think it might be OCD but I haven't been diagnosed with it.

Upvote 0

Long Island Pilgrim

Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2016
NY
✟67,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Your darn right Theodoric. Secular therapists can do even far more harm than simply confuse you. They may even offer hypnosis or some other deeply problematic "therapy".

Upvote 0

Caleb22

Hello
Dec 27, 2017
New York
✟12,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Your darn right Theodoric. Secular therapists can do even far more harm than simply confuse you. They may even offer hypnosis or some other deeply problematic "therapy".
What do you think a 14 year old should do in this situation?

Upvote 0

Dropout_Theologian

Not an ant in God's glorious library.
Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2018
Southern United States
✟64,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm going to apologize here for the amount of text. Also, I'm not a lawyer, therapist, insurance agent or related professional.

Personally, I was recommended a therapist through my church. If you would like that option, perhaps say that to your legal guardian or your pastor, whatever you prayerfully deem the best. You could even explain to them, if necessary, that pastors often have a wider skill set -- caring for souls, biblical interpretation, speech writing, perhaps business and management concerns -- whereas you would like a Christian therapist/counselor who just specializes in therapy. That's all they do and they're hopefully good at it.

I don't know about Chicago, but it is a larger American city so you've got fair chances of finding a Christian counselor. I would warn you about telling other people in your church/school about this though; I've seen secrets spread painfully.

Additionally, and I say this with hesitation because they are likely to have a significantly different worldview than you, but professionally-trained Jewish, secular, and other religious therapists may be able to help out. This option should be well-thought out and prayed over before doing.

All of these things considered, good therapy is often quite expensive. Luckily, however, different therapies may be covered by insurance, so if that lines up, that can significantly diminish the price of the services. It may be a long shot, but perhaps some free church, volunteer, or civil therapy services can be provided. Just ask around, or impress to your dad or your pastor that you're interested in this. Keep in mind that these are free services and may carry higher risk and failure rates than the pricey ones.

Oh, also - school counselors. I'm not too knowledgeable here. Use your best discretion, talk over it with someone you trust, and pray over it.

Keep in mind your safety; anyone in this position is inherently vulnerable at this point, so don't be a dummy with any of these people. You're here to get help but, if necessary, stick to your guns (metaphorically). Finally, I had a therapist that was great and was borderline worth the incredible amount of money he got paid; however, some were bad, so don't get discouraged at the first one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Long Island Pilgrim

Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2016
NY
✟67,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you need credit card information?
I'm not sure Caleb 22. They may offer several methods for payment including Paypal but they also may allow you to mail them a check? You will have to ask them. Go to the bottom of the website page. Theres a link that says "contact us". With your Dads permission, send them an email telling them your problem and include your age. They may not even charge you if you tell them your age. Or have your Dad send them an email explaining your concerns.
Just please make sure you discuss my advice with your Dad because you are under age. Also please be very careful online and don't give out information on forums like this. Nevr tell your name, age or location, OK?
I will pray for you. Anxiety can feel terrible so I hope you feel better soon.

Upvote 0

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟143,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are there any other options that may be free?
Do your parents have you on their insurance? If so, the insurance often includes free therapy for a few sessions.

You may also find helpful supportive groups online. They won't provide you with personalized therapy, but you may find that it helps to talk to others about what you are going through and often those groups include those who are winning their battles.

That's about it for free - these professionals have gone through a lot of training and this is what they do for a living. We can't expect them to not get paid for their services. I can't even imagine how difficult such a job is (and I'm a teacher).

Upvote 0

Caleb22

Hello
Dec 27, 2017
New York
✟12,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure Caleb 22. They may offer several methods for payment including Paypal but they also may allow you to mail them a check? You will have to ask them. Go to the bottom of the website page. Theres a link that says "contact us". With your Dads permission, send them an email telling them your problem and include your age. They may not even charge you if you tell them your age. Or have your Dad send them an email explaining your concerns.
Just please make sure you discuss my advice with your Dad because you are under age. Also please be very careful online and don't give out information on forums like this. Nevr tell your name, age or location, OK?
I will pray for you. Anxiety can feel terrible so I hope you feel better soon.
alright

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Caleb22

Hello
Dec 27, 2017
New York
✟12,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Do your parents have you on their insurance? If so, the insurance often includes free therapy for a few sessions.

You may also find helpful supportive groups online. They won't provide you with personalized therapy, but you may find that it helps to talk to others about what you are going through and often those groups include those who are winning their battles.

That's about it for free - these professionals have gone through a lot of training and this is what they do for a living. We can't expect them to not get paid for their services. I can't even imagine how difficult such a job is (and I'm a teacher).
I don't know if they have insurance for that, but ugh, i've looked everywhere online, and nothing seems to help. I just see everyone's stories of... I cured my anxiety and here's how you can! But they never seem to help.

Upvote 0

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟143,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ugh, i've looked everywhere online, and nothing seems to help. I just see everyone's stories of... I cured my anxiety and here's how you can! But they never seem to help.

Then ask your parents. If this is really that bad, then tell them and ask them to check their insurance.

Then realize that specific method that others are using isn't for you.

What is going to work for you?

Even if it takes years or decades.

Upvote 0

Caleb22

Hello
Dec 27, 2017
New York
✟12,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Then ask your parents. If this is really that bad, then tell them and ask them to check their insurance.

Then realize that specific method that others are using isn't for you.

What is going to work for you?

Even if it takes years or decades.
To be honest. I don't know what will work, this has gone on for about a year, and hasn't ended.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.