✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
DrCIH,

The misunderstanding of the Saints and of Prayer is a common misunderstanding among the Protestants. Being around the protestants, it is inevitable that the way they use language is going to rub off on us in ways we may not even notice.

To the Protestants, Prayer is a form of Divine Worship. Since God alone is worthy of Worship, they conclude that Prayer can be offered to God alone. But truly, to pray is simply to ask... nothing more. If I ask you to pray for me, I am essentially praying to you, for you to pray for me.

If the Protestants say that the Saints on the Icons are dead... I would question whether they really believe or understand their Bibles. Actually, the problem is not a lack of belief, but a misunderstanding because of their separation from the Orthodox Church of God. The Saints are not dead. They are very much alive. God is the God of the living, not of the dead (Matthew 22:32, Mark 12:27, Luke 20:38 ref also Revelation 6:9-10). Christ has defeated death, it is no longer a barrier for those who are in Him.

Notice in your prayer book the difference in tone between the prayers we offer to the Saints and the Prayer we offer to God. The difference is remarkable to one who really pays attention to it. It is clear in the prayers, that all Glory goes to God, and the Saint is greatly honored, not for who he or she is, but for the fact that God has mightily used them.

You showed a lot of humility by coming to God. That humility is the cornerstone of life in the Orthodox Church. We know that Orthodox Church to be the continuation of the assembly of the Apostles; the very Church that Christ Himself created by sending the Holy Spirit upon His Apostles on the day of Pentecost. I am so happy that you are seeking out Orthodox answers to your questions. I hope these discussions will be helpful for you.

Now, I have to get ready for Church. :clap: :crosseo:

Reactions: Macarius
Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just a little personal experience from me to you, Dr. :D

I didn't ask the Saints to pray for my son or my family either the first 10 years of being a practicing Orthodox. Not because I thought uncomfortable or because I thought it was wrong. But because I didn't know how and I didn't see the need to do so or learn about it. In time, though, when you gradually are spiritually growing in maturity (as we all are daily and throughout our lives), this changes because He is transforming us all the time in becoming in closer union with Him when we are active participates of His Grace. Eventually, there came a time when I had no reason not to ask the Saints for prayers for my son, and felt why not? More prayers can't hurt. Boy, can they not hurt. I didn't know what to say, so I just said "Most Holy Theotokos, please pray for my son. St. Nectarios, please pray for my son." Within an hour of this fervent pray, along and in between all my praying to God for my son, a huge weight was literally lifted off my shoulders, and I was at peace...and not just then, for the next several weeks until way after his next MRI and doctor's visit.

Upvote 0

IndieVisible

Feb 11, 2009
✟793.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree, it's easier for Protestants to grasp prayer like that among the living, as we see no shortage of prayer requests from Protestants. That was an excellent analogy of asking the Saints to pray on our behalf, we can think of it as prayer requests. In that light most Protestants should be ok with that or at least it forces them to re-think petitioning any further prayer requests from the living :)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I would point out as well, that you do find prayers to the saints in Scripture. in Lazarus and the rich man, the rich man petitions (prays to) Abraham, an Old Testament saint, and he gets an answer from the saint. notice that everytime anyone in the Scripture worships a holy saint or angel, the holy saint or angel rebukes the person because worship is for God alone. Abraham, however, does not rebuke the rich man for petitioning him. he answered him with a no, but he did not equate prayer and worship.

Upvote 0

Vermax

Aug 24, 2011
✟15,224.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well to be honest, I don't know what saints are. Everything I know about christianity I've read from The Bible. Finding a priest to talk to here is a little difficult, cos here orthodox priests generally don't do private conversations, but I'll try harder to do it. As for finding a community, I have found only one and the boy, that organizes it, feels lazy to make a meeting. I've been asking him for two months and he always comes out with excuses. I've searched the internet for those things and found nothing in my city. The only idea that comes to my mind is to go out there and visit our churches. If that fails ... well I don't know :).

I'll begin searching for an orthodox spiritual guider and will tell you guys everything I experience. May God bless us all and show us the way. :)
Amin

I urge you to remain steadfast in the Orthodox faith. I will pray that you find the right place to worship. I know that I have been blessed with the last two priests who were my pastors. They are truly men of God and have brought me to a deeper understanding of my faith. (Catholic) I will pray that the same thing happens to you. God bless.

Reactions: Ortho_Cat
Upvote 0

Antony in Tx

a sinner
Dec 25, 2009
Texas
✟25,560.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Two thoughts...One is that praying to the Saints is like asking a sports mentor (who happens to be a hall of famer) to encourage you and to hold you forth to the head of the league. If a baseball player happened to be friends with a retired player, say Stan Musial or Babe Ruth, who was no longer in the league...let's say that he asked that former player to encourage him and to tell his coach what is was that he needed to learn. The hall of famer would certainly oblige, even though he was no longer playing and no longer "in the game" as an active player. He would encourage the young guy, tell everybody what a great kid he was, and make sure that every expert in the game looked after the youngster's career. The current player would even look to the career of the hall of famer to see what he could learn about the game. So it is with the Saints. They are no longer in the league that we are in, but they are eternally with the Greatest Coach of all, and can still encourage us and intervene for us, and they have much for us to learn from them by examining their lives.

The other point that I would offer to you; if you have trouble finding a Spiritual Father at a church near you, I would encourage you to take a weekend to spend a retreat at a monastery there in Bulgaria. I think that there are a couple dozen of them. Often a monk can serve as a great Spiritual Father for someone who is otherwise struggling. They have dedicated their lives to praying for the whole world and for every one of us individually. If presented with a person who is seeking help, they will not hesitate to help you. Think of them as the professional athletes of the Orthodox Church. The Saints are the hall of famers. Just like most pro athletes would never hesitate to help a kid who asked them sincerely, Monastics will not hesitate to help you.

In Christ,
Antony

Upvote 0

DrCIH

Nov 4, 2011
Plovdiv, Bulgaria
✟7,816.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
OK guys, I think I now understand the idea of praying to saints. I was afraid that according to The Bible it is said that, you should not worship anyone except God. Nowhere in The Bible they said about praying. I can't go to talk to somebody today as i have too much work, but tomorrow I will go and speak with a priest.

Upvote 0

Macarius

Progressive Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2007
The Ivory Tower
✟52,122.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
OK guys, I think I now understand the idea of praying to saints. I was afraid that according to The Bible it is said that, you should not worship anyone except God. Nowhere in The Bible they said about praying. I can't go to talk to somebody today as i have too much work, but tomorrow I will go and speak with a priest.

Best of luck to you, my friend! Let us know how it goes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums