• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I told God I wanted my life to be short

Job405

Jesus Christ Matters
Site Supporter
May 17, 2020
Uusimaa
✟143,890.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was just feeling hopeless with these constant intrusive thoughts so I told in prayer God I wanted to be martyred for Christ and that I hoped my life would be short.

I almost immediately repented from that. I of course thank and glorify God for everything in my life, despite my infirmities. Do you think God will forgive me for that which I said? The tongue can speak life and death.

• Friendly
Reactions: brinny

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I was just feeling hopeless with these constant intrusive thoughts so I told in prayer God I wanted to be martyred for Christ and that I hoped my life would be short.

I almost immediately repented from that. I of course thank and glorify God for everything in my life, despite my infirmities. Do you think God will forgive me for that which I said? The tongue can speak life and death.
:heart: Awwwwww, He understands your heart, regardless of what our words are. Elijah was so weary and discouraged that he told God that he wanted to die. So have other prophets and people of God. Hang in there. Praying for you Job.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,476.00
Faith
Non-Denom

What do you mean constant intrusive thoughts? And we'll never arrive at a place that there will never be a wrong thought that presents itself to your minds. We're told however how to deal with them, “Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;” 2 Cor 10:5

Do you think God will forgive me for that which I said?

Do you think God would tell you to do something he isn't willing to do? Didn't he insist that we all forgive? Why would he tell us to do it if he wasn't willing to do the same? He said if you confess your sins he's faithful and just to forgive your sins and cleanse you from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1;9 So he says YES I'm willing.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

I very much doubt that God will be guided by such an outburst. His plans for you will not be derailed by something like that. And you did repent, so I'd suggest putting the whole thing behind you.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

I would not worry over such a prayer.
In the first place, God already knows how long or short your life will be.

Secondly, the time of anyone's life--whether long or short--can be used to glorify God.
So it's best to concentrate on what use you make of your life, and what goals you will accomplish for God.

And let Him determine how long or short a time is allowed to you.

Upvote 0