I thought you Chess lovers would be interested in this.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wish I knew more about the game but I ran across this and thought you all would enjoy it. I hope you don’t mind. :)

A turning point in chess history

During the 1840s and 1850s three chess masters dominated the global chessboard. These champions avant la lettre, before the world title had been generally recognised, were the Englishman Howard Staunton, the German Adolph Anderssen and the American Paul Morphy. In this column so far, I have concentrated on games played mano-a-mano between single opponents.

This week I turn to the so-called consultation game, with consulting adults facing each other in public. The principle is that one master challenges two or more consulting partners, as in the celebrated game won at the Paris Opera by Paul Morphy against the aristocratic duo of Count Isouard de Vauvenargues and the Duke of Brunswick. On numerous occasions Bobby Fischer declared this masterpiece to be his favourite game, and during the 1966 Havana Chess Olympiad, I witnessed Bobby demonstrating this game to none other than a somewhat bemused Fidel Castro.

Alternatively, one group in consultation faces another team. An example was the game, televised live, between myself, Jon Speelman, Cathy Forbes and Daniel King pitted against the world-beating duumvirate of World Champion Garry Kasparov and his recent challenger, Nigel Short. At the time, 1993, this was probably one of the most watched games in the entire history of chess.

Continued below.
A turning point in chess history | TheArticle

Reactions: linux.poet