I thought we were in the best economy ever?

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Why do investors feel entitled to profits? Investing isn’t work.
Because that is the agreement made. Before I invest my money in your business, we have to have an agreement that I am entitled to profits. It appears those who depend on their business to succeed value investors more than you do.

Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
  • Winner
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Exactly! It is much easier to bring the Unemployment rate from 10% to 5% (pre recession rates) than it is to bring it from 5% to 3%.

However, this does not erase the fact that your hero Trump blatantly lied when he claimed that he had created jobs at a faster rate than during Obama’s tenure. The numbers, unfortunately for him, don’t lie.

His statements about raising wages are similarly a lie. Inflation-adjusted wages have risen by 2.4% under Trump. They were at 4.9% under Obama...and that’s from YOUR source...!

• Informative
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟196,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
True! And if the company does not provide a return on investments, the investors will pull their money out and put it somewhere else and the company will go out of business. So it is very important to a company to provide as much of a return on investment as possible
Pulling money out of an investment that hasn’t returned anything yet just causes the investor to lose money. Buying high and selling low is a fool’s game.
Investments allow the company to grow. Growth allows more labor and profits.
Investments without demand are an enormous gamble. A company whose growth comes solely from investments is a Ponzi scheme.

No, higher wages drives up the cost of production resulting in higher prices of products which drives down demand.
Only when there’s demand in the first place, which is less likely when wages are low. The cost of goods is never 100% tied up in labor, and it keeps going up anyway, so wages absolutely must go up at the very least to match inflation and the cost of living, otherwise you’re actually driving demand down by keeping wages stagnant.

If that were true, investors wouldn’t demand the lion’s share of profits!
Of course it’s true! And when they don’t stop, revolutions happen. If the working class doesn’t get some sort of compensation to ease the cost of living from their employers, they’ll demand it from the government, which will provide it with taxes that disproportionately affect the investor class. Pick your poison.

No, the less you pay your labor the lower you can afford to sell your product which increases the pool of potential customers for you.
But then; the less you pay your laborer the more likely he will quit and go somewhere else also.
And you need labor for profits, so it’s in your interest to keep labor satisfied. The very least you can do is provide cost of living pay increases.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟196,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Because that is the agreement made. Before I invest my money in your business, we have to have an agreement that I am entitled to profits. It appears those who depend on their business to succeed value investors more than you do.
That’s not how investment works. You’re entitled to a share of the profits IF the company as a whole turns a profit. A company that pays dividends to investors without turning a profit will run out of funds. It’s like you’ve never heard of volatile markets, recessions, depressions, and crashes.

Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟196,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It doesn't matter what the federal minimum wage is, what matters is what people are actually getting paid.
42% of the American workforce are *actually getting paid* less than $15/hr.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Trump is reducing a planned 2.5% federal pay increase to 1%, citing a “national emergency or serious economic conditions affecting the general welfare” as justification. So which is it - is our economy the best its ever been, or are we facing "serious economic conditions"?

Trump Cuts Scheduled Federal Pay Raise, Citing “Serious Economic Conditions” in the Country
depends... do you live better than your parents did at your age? if so then times are good

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

carl_b_me

Feb 7, 2020
New York
✟2,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Married
It goes way beyond staying alive. Health care, what you wear, housing, utilities, you name it - there is so much more than just the literal definition of living to actually say you earn a living wage.

Well then we need to redefine the living wage. A lot of that stuff (healthcare, housing, etc.) are things one should aspire to and work harder for. I mean if someone WANTS that sort of thing. But that isn't the problem of the corporations and the employers. They have made jobs and if people don't want to work for the wage they have they can always go find better jobs somewhere else.

I mean, look at Trump himself. There have been times when he told his daughter that the homeless guy on the street had more money than the Trumps did. But Trump overcame those hurdles. He took the bankruptcies and he OVERCAME. And now he has his own private resort in Florida! That's what hard work gets you.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟689,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What is your definition of a "booming" economy?

It is not the number of jobs created. Many of them are part time, temporary, and not living wage jobs.
It is not the number of employed Americans. Many of them work part time and don't earn living wages.

I apologize if this sounds rude, but neither of those assertions are accurate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Well then we need to redefine the living wage. A lot of that stuff (healthcare, housing, etc.) are things one should aspire to and work harder for. I mean if someone WANTS that sort of thing. But that isn't the problem of the corporations and the employers. They have made jobs and if people don't want to work for the wage they have they can always go find better jobs somewhere else.

People don't want to be poor. They want to work. It is never their own fault if they are unable to work at the places nearby that are hiring. If someone is able to do a job that is available near home, great, and it is a blessing. But only evil people can blame poor adults who want living wage jobs and cannot get them for a variety of reasons outside their control. These include where they live, inability to afford college after high school, physical limitations, a lack of job training services in the county, and city infrastructure. Also, if an employer is hiring for a part-time position but has no full-time jobs available, does it really count as good for the employee or just better than nothing? I vote for the latter.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I thought the tax cuts were going to pay for themselves and we were going to drive down the debt? Is that no longer the plan?

Simple math: You can't decrease the national debt without increasing taxes.

Tell me how tax cuts would put more money into the U.S. Treasury.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟333,388.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Anyone who thinks we have the best economy ever needs to learn what that really means. It requires the entire middle class population to earn a living wage and not having any trade deals that cause job losses. Until we get to that point, there will always be problems with the economy.

The middle class IS earning a living wage. That's why they are the middle class.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
So if someone was in the middle class, then for whatever reason stopped working, the next day he/she is now in poverty despite being way above the poverty line?

Of course not. The poverty line is a specific dollar amount in the person's account - if you are above it you are not in poverty. And there is no other term between the poverty line and wealthy/upper class. What do you call lacking a living wage, but being above the poverty line, if there is no word for that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0