I thought that Jesus was really using Beelzebub to cast out demons!

Fish14

Dec 16, 2016
Brussels
✟33,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When I read the Gospel of Matthew, I thought Jesus was casting demons out by Beelzebub because after that He told the Pharisees how Satan can't stand if he's divided against himself (Matthew 12:22-30).

Is that the unforgivable sin, thinking that Jesus used demons to do His work?

I didn't mean to think His works were demonic. I thought that He was effectively defeating Satan by making him divided against himself.

jerrygab2

Oct 14, 2016
on a computer
✟30,523.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

No, but not smart though. What Christ was saying is that Satan was not doing it because he would not divide his (Satan) own house. In other words it was all of God not Satan

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When I read the Gospel of Matthew, I thought Jesus was casting demons out by Beelzebub because after that He told the Pharisees how Satan can't stand if he's divided against himself (Matthew 12:22-30).

I didn't mean to think His works were demonic. I thought that He was effectively defeating Satan by making him divided against himself.
The unpardonable sin is attributing the works of God to the Adversary. You drew a poor conclusion, realized it and corrected. That isn't the same as watching something supernatural, know it was from God, and then attribute to another.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The unpardonable sin is attributing the works of God to the Adversary. You drew a poor conclusion, realized it and corrected. That isn't the same as watching something supernatural, know it was from God, and then attribute to another.

Aren't there other forms of blasphemy?

Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Aren't there other forms of blasphemy?
Sure.... but the idea of "blasphemy of the Holy Spirit" then you are talking about "the act of depriving something of its sacred character." If we attribute the work that God does to another, we are taking from His character which means, in Hebrew... we are taking from His name.

If you and read the account where Yeshua says what he does... they are saying that the works he did (which was the work of God through him) was the Devil. He then made the comment about blaspheming the Spirit. I am simply tying them together here.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Sure.... but the idea of "blasphemy of the Holy Spirit" then you are talking about "the act of depriving something of its sacred character." If we attribute the work that God does to another, we are taking from His character which means, in Hebrew... we are taking from His name.

If you and read the account where Yeshua says what he does... they are saying that the works he did (which was the work of God through him) was the Devil. He then made the comment about blaspheming the Spirit. I am simply tying them together here.

So blasphemy means improperly referring to God?

I've heard a person say, "who the hell is the Holy Ghost"-is that unforgiveable?

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So blasphemy means improperly referring to God?

I've heard a person say, "who the hell is the Holy Ghost"-is that unforgiveable?
Blasphemy means disrespect, speaking profanely, being irreverent. So when that is directed against the Holy Spirit you're on thin ice. As for your question... neither one of us like that language but if that person is just asking a question... yes, it is forgivable. If they KNOW God and then ask it in contempt with the purpose of degrading God... then again... they're on thin ice.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Blasphemy means disrespect, speaking profanely, being irreverent. So when that is directed against the Holy Spirit you're on thin ice. As for your question... neither one of us like that language but if that person is just asking a question... yes, it is forgivable. If they KNOW God and then ask it in contempt with the purpose of degrading God... then again... they're on thin ice.

Thin ice in this context? The verse isn't a gray area.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thin ice in this context? The verse isn't a gray area.
"Thin ice" is an expression I decided to use because I am not the one who will judge them, God is. But if it will make you feel better... if you speak against the character of God and attribute His works to the Adversary... I don't think that is forgivable based on Yeshua's words.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I was thinking about my OCD isn't real, and then I had a thought, "The Holy Spirit didn't do this". Is that blasphemy?

It's literally implying that if the OCD is real, I would be speaking bad of God, and I would never say that out loud. Is this just over-analyzing a thought?

I even had thoughts that I should have prayed to just God. Is that blasphemy?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was thinking about my OCD isn't real, and then I had a thought, "The Holy Spirit didn't do this". Is that blasphemy?

It's literally implying that if the OCD is real, I would be speaking bad of God, and I would never say that out loud. Is this just over-analyzing a thought?

I even had thoughts that I should have prayed to just God. Is that blasphemy?
Thoughts are not blasphemy, speaking our in slander is. Listen, your OCD might be real... but perhaps the reason why you have it isn't understood by you right now? Perhaps you are dealing with this but the truth is, God is dealing with you internally? I don't know... maybe it is just the result of the fact that we are still in a fallen state. Doesn't matter.... thinking something isn't blasphemy and I don't believe we can accidentally blaspheme God. I think this is KNOWING God's be behind something but them knowingly attributing that work to another.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thoughts are not blasphemy, speaking our in slander is. Listen, your OCD might be real... but perhaps the reason why you have it isn't understood by you right now? Perhaps you are dealing with this but the truth is, God is dealing with you internally? I don't know... maybe it is just the result of the fact that we are still in a fallen state. Doesn't matter.... thinking something isn't blasphemy and I don't believe we can accidentally blaspheme God. I think this is KNOWING God's be behind something but them knowingly attributing that work to another.

When I thought about sin, I prayed to the Holy Spirit to have a love for sinners-and then I thought, "who go against you", "like I did with my previous sins"?

Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Declaring that The Holy Spirit is a demon is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit..

Upvote 0

Honoluluwindow

Sep 2, 2016
Hawaii
✟17,283.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Exactly what is the unpardonable sin within the context where it is found? It is not an individual sin but it is a national sin; it was committed by the Jewish generation of Jesus' day and cannot be applied to subsequent Jewish generations. The content of the unpardonable sin was: the national rejection by Israel of the Messiahship of Yeshua-while He was present-on the grounds of being demon possessed. Individuals of that day could, and did, escape that judgment, as was true with the Apostle Paul. Nor is it a sin that anyone can commit today. On this point, the Bible is very clear. Regardless of what sin anyone commits today, every sin isforgivable for that individual who will come to God through Jesus the Messiah. Thenature of the sin is irrelevant. Every sin is forgivable for that individual who will come to God through Jesus the Messiah. But for the nation as a whole, for that particular generation, this unique sin wasunpardonable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Exactly what is the unpardonable sin within the context where it is found? It is not an individual sin but it is a national sin; it was committed by the Jewish generation of Jesus' day and cannot be applied to subsequent Jewish generations. The content of the unpardonable sin was: the national rejection by Israel of the Messiahship of Yeshua-while He was present-on the grounds of being demon possessed. Individuals of that day could, and did, escape that judgment, as was true with the Apostle Paul. Nor is it a sin that anyone can commit today. On this point, the Bible is very clear. Regardless of what sin anyone commits today, every sin isforgivable for that individual who will come to God through Jesus the Messiah. Thenature of the sin is irrelevant. Every sin is forgivable for that individual who will come to God through Jesus the Messiah. But for the nation as a whole, for that particular generation, this unique sin wasunpardonable.
Respectfully, I disagree. The national sin of Israel, while grievous, is something God said He would forgive. Deuteronomy 30:1-6, all of Hosea 1 and other places show a cutting off but then an allowing back into the fold. This isn't written once (I just shared 2 witnesses), it is repeated many times in much of the Prophets. The unpardonable sin is mentioned after Yeshua does a miracle and those who watch it attribute the work not to God who did the work, but to Beelzebub.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

What does blasphemy mean besides cursing and sexual?

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What does blasphemy mean besides cursing and sexual?
I didn't say it means "sexual" and if you mean "cussing" (swear words) when you say "cursing," then I didn't say that, either. :) Blasphemy is defined as "speaking evil against." When through speech you detract from God's character, you are blaspheming. Such is the case when the Pharisees present said that Yeshua's works were of the devil rather than from God. Since they said God's works were of the devil, then they were speaking evil against God by attributing His works to another.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I didn't say it means "sexual" and if you mean "cussing" (swear words) when you say "cursing," then I didn't say that, either. :) Blasphemy is defined as "speaking evil against." When through speech you detract from God's character, you are blaspheming. Such is the case when the Pharisees present said that Yeshua's works were of the devil rather than from God. Since they said God's works were of the devil, then they were speaking evil against God by attributing His works to another.

I don't think a person is being reverent making jokes about spiritual things like they do on TV.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't think a person is being reverent making jokes about spiritual things like they do on TV.
Whether I agree or not... the word blasphemy means "to speak evil against." The idea of "evil" is an intent of the heart... so if one makes a joke, even in poor taste, but the intent was not evil it might be stupid, maybe even a sin... but not blasphemy. The idea of blasphemy carries the idea of a heart intent to speak evil against another.

Upvote 0