I think I'm losing my faith in God. Need advice.

Oct 27, 2013
✟15,142.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I need some help.

This past year I've been going through an issue, and I've reached the point where I think I've lost my faith in God and am starting to question His existence. Now I won't go into the details because they aren't all that important. What is important is that I feel that I've reached my wits end.

I have prayed and prayed and prayed for either a resolution or peace, sometimes while in tears, yet God ignores me and continues to let me suffer. I've literally begged Him to help me yet He ignores me. And I just don't understand why. I'm not going to sit here and say I've been the world's best Christian, because I haven't been, but I have tried to live my life as God commands. And yet none of it seems to matter to God as He refuses to help me and seems to take utter delight in my misery.

I really am at the point where I just want to curse God's name and die (either physically or spiritually). I don't want to feel this way, but I don't know what else to do.

So please... Someone PLEASE tell me what I'm to do to not feel this way. Tell me how not to lose my faith completely. I know it's not right to give God an ultimatum, but I want a resolution tonight. If God, who is supposedly all powerful, truly cares about me, He would take away my suffering. If He would have me go through one more day of this, then He isn't a God I want to serve, nor is He a God I think I could serve.

I feel bad for feeling this way, but I simply can't feel differently no matter how hard I try :-(

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
First welcome to CF. Keep in mind God's ways are higher than our ways. To experience God's presence you have to have faith. We enter His gates with thanksgiving in our hearts and we enter His courts with praise. Come to Him with an attitude of humbleness. Purge your soul by confessing all of your sins to Him and thank and praise Him. It always refreshes my soul.

Upvote 0

Nig

Aug 8, 2012
✟11,938.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
A proper perspective helps, we need to see God as he is; and it is not God who is causing you to suffer. Man has dominion on this earth because of Jesus and what He has done for us. It was Him who suffered for us that we might be restored to righteous standing before God (is there anybody else that matters) suffering entered because of mans sin. It will leave because of Jesus's finished work and the authority that is in you; a saint made perfect by the blood of Jesus. I would stop talking to Jesus about your mountains and start talking to your mountains about Jesus.

Abraham believed God and it was accounted to him as righteousness. He never wavered in his faith ( according to Hebrews ) but the reality is that as far as we can see of the Old Testament is wavering was his major preoccupation. God really seas you as perfect:)

My favourite verse of the OT is psalm 23 surely His goodness and mercy will pursue me all the days of my life. You know David wrote this while being pursued by a jealous king and he was living in a cave with miscreants. I practise speaking the truth of God despite my circumstances (I am currently harvesting the worst crop I have seen in 15 years.) it is a challenge to believe when our circumstances say otherwise, but I walk by faith and not by my senses.

Remember though that He is in you to will and to do and He leads you by peace. Your peace is normal. That lack of peace is not. He may be leading you a way you did not want, but He is Good.

Upvote 0

PBA

A grateful disciple of Christ's
Aug 12, 2013
✟15,488.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are times in our spiritual growth that what confidence we have in self needs to be striped away. We trust in our self efforts, determinations, religious practices, our own strengths, service, good qualities, and abilities. True faith rests in Christ alone and results in our abiding daily in Him.
Peter said though everyone else denied Christ, he wouldn't. Peter meant it, but his confidence was in himself and not Christ alone. Later we see Peter with no confidence left in himself. It was then that Christ told him to feed His sheep and lambs. Peter was then relying on Christ.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I need some help.
This past year I've been going through an issue, and I've reached the point where I think I've lost my faith in God and am starting to question His existence. Now I won't go into the details because they aren't all that important. What is important is that I feel that I've reached my wits end.

I have prayed and prayed and prayed for either a resolution or peace, sometimes while in tears, yet God ignores me and continues to let me suffer. I've literally begged Him to help me yet He ignores me. And I just don't understand why. I'm not going to sit here and say I've been the world's best Christian, because I haven't been, but I have tried to live my life as God commands. And yet none of it seems to matter to God as He refuses to help me and seems to take utter delight in my misery.

I really am at the point where I just want to curse God's name and die (either physically or spiritually). I don't want to feel this way, but I don't know what else to do.

So please... Someone PLEASE tell me what I'm to do to not feel this way. Tell me how not to lose my faith completely. I know it's not right to give God an ultimatum, but I want a resolution tonight. If God, who is supposedly all powerful, truly cares about me, He would take away my suffering. If He would have me go through one more day of this, then He isn't a God I want to serve, nor is He a God I think I could serve.

I feel bad for feeling this way, but I simply can't feel differently no matter how hard I try :-(

This paper may help you:

SIMPLE THOUGHTS ON SALVATION OF THE SOUL---

HOW CAN I KNOW I AM SAVED?
"How many children say, I'd like to go to Heaven;
Yet never think that they must have their sins forgiven,
Before they can in glory be,
Or Jesus Christ in glory see.

"None can to glory go, or dwell with God above,
Save they who Jesus know, and taste a Savior's love;
The holy words of truth declare
No other grounds of entrance there.

"But now this living way to all is open free;
And ruined sinners may go in and happy be---
May have their sins through Christ forgiven,
The only way to enter heaven."

- Echoes Of Grace Hymns

[ The question is sometimes raised by professing Christians as to how they can know they have believed in the right way, or otherwise believed to salvation and be assured of Heaven. We might do well to examine the meaning of belief, for man believes many things, which often means just allowing that something is so because it sounds logical, or without questioning it. Believing in God begins by talking to Him, not just saying a prayer statement; and not challenging God to prove Himself to one by meeting our conditions. One needs A PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP in humility].

1. Has one come to accept that he is a sinner before a holy God, and therefore cannot enter Heaven? Believing in God, believing about Jesus Christ, baptism, and trying to keep the ten commandments will not put away sins.
2. Has there been a time when one has come before God alone in the secret of one's heart, and confessed that one is a sinner, and realizes the need to be saved for Heaven? If that has not been done, then today one needs to repent (turn from self to God).
3. Has one acknowledged, as the Bible declares, that God sent His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, into this world to save man; and that He showed us God--the Father, and Himself as God's Son; then after ordaining the twelve apostles, He delivered Himself into the hands of wicked men to be God's sacrifice for sin? He paid the price of redemption we could never pay, and offers it as a free gift apart from our works such as baptism, etc.. No man can work his way into Heaven. Does one know He then arose from the grave and returned to Heaven? Does one believe that?
4. Has there been a time when one has thanked the Lord Jesus for dying for one's sins, and declared to Him that he is now receiving Him for eternal life and hope? If not, is it now time? A soul who has trusted Jesus from childhood years, may not remember and thus be able to answer this question, but one can always come to the Lord and reaffirm this, for it is very important that one receives the Lord---not just believes about Him or follows a religion.
5. Has there been a time when one has truly believed on God's Son? For then one will have "passed from death unto life" (John 5:24) by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. God says: "He that has the Son has (eternal) life, and he that has not the Son of God has not life. These things have I written unto you that believe on the Name of the Son of God, that ye may KNOW that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the Name of the Son of God" (see 1 John 5:10-13). Will you settle this matter by doing your part? God says: "Behold, now is the accepted time" (2 Cor. 6:2).
Salvation is not in reading this, but acting on it. It really only takes a few minutes to accomplish the work of faith; and one must not come to God with conditions or challenge Him in any way ---but believe what He said. The evidence of salvation is in the question: "What think ye of Christ"? Can one truthfully say: I have received Him, am devoted to Him, have communion with Him, and want to live for Him always? The Holy Spirit will make His "abode" in that one and seal him as a child of God forever (John 14:16-23; John 3:36).

A faithful believer in the Lord Jesus Christ will walk with Him and talk with Him all day, until that day when one can see Him and be with Him forever in the Father's house. - RLD, '04: from biblecounsel.homestead.com

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,617.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Our spirits believe The Word (John 6:63). So no matter how we're feeling/thinking we can saturate our spirits with more of G_d's Word. I located audio Bibles at Biblegateway.com and love Psa 145.

Additionally and it's not a small thing - There's fullness of joy in His presence Psa 16.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FoundInGrace

God's sparrow
Dec 27, 2003
✟38,472.00
Faith
Christian
Hi I'm not sure why God is allowing this in your life but I know He's not allowing it because He wants you to suffer or takes delight in your suffering, that isn't true of God even though it obviously seems like it to you which I'm sorry that you are having to go through things bad enough that are causing you to question God's motives, especially when you are seeking Him and praying to Him about it so much. :hug:

God does care very much about what you are going through, don't forget that His heart is toward you not against you, He is on your side in all of this helping you through it. If what I know of Him is true it breaks His heart that you are suffering.

I wish I had something more helpful to say. I just know there aren't answers sometimes as to why God allows things in our lives. and until heaven we wont have answers. But I do know He loves us, He loves you! so if possible hold onto that and try not to let circumstances shake your faith in His unfailing love for you because the devil will try to shake your trust in God's love so you cant find comfort in God and turn away from God which always ends not very well when we turn away. well when I have gotten to the point of questioning God's love and turned away it only made things worse, that's why I say that.

I'm glad you posted though so we can pray for you, so I do pray that you will be strengthened by God's mercy and grace in whatever it is you are facing and having to deal with, and that you would be aware of His love for you surrounding you and strengthening you through this. and that this trial will strengthen your faith not weaken it. in Jesus Name.

hang in there friend :hug:

Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Welcome! Psalm 13 starts out like this. Sound familiar?

1 How long, Lord? Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?
2 How long must I wrestle with my thoughts
and day after day have sorrow in my heart?
How long will my enemy triumph over me?
3 Look on me and answer, Lord my God.
Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death,
4 and my enemy will say, “I have overcome him,”
and my foes will rejoice when I fall.

This was written by David, God's chosen King and part of Jesus' family line! Sometimes it feels like our prayers are not answered, but it may be that we just don't see how it will all play out yet. That's why we depend on trust. Here's the rest of Psalm 13:

5 But I trust in your unfailing love;
my heart rejoices in your salvation.
6 I will sing the Lord’s praise,
for he has been good to me.

I have felt like you do too, and when I think about what I prayed for, I know now that it needed to be resolved in a different way. It didn't make it any easier at the time though! One last piece of advice. Even if your struggle is personal, you may want to seek advice from someone who can council in that area. You may find that there are ways out or other answers that you hadn't considered.

Reactions: hopesprings
Upvote 0

firesoforion

Nov 15, 2011
✟11,556.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
God has a plan, and as much as your circumstances hurt (and I know they can hurt badly enough you don't think you'll ever recover), those painful circumstances are temporary. Everything you are going through will not only end, but all the negative effects of it will be erased. Why does God allow us to go through these things? I'm not sure, but through my own life I've come to think in many cases, it's to prevent us from having to go through something even worse later. God has a plan, and sometimes that plan is confusing and unpleasant for us, but He will always get us out in the end.

And even if - and this will never happen - He were to completely abandon you for the rest of your life on earth, He's still given you the two most incredible blessings imaginable: He gave you life, and He saved your life. Without Him, nothing good which has ever happened to you would have happened, and He only gave you that through his love for you, not out of any obligation. Why would He stop now? He hasn't. One day, every little negative feeling, thought or memory you've ever had will be erased and you will live in PURE love, meaning pure happiness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Castaway57

Born Twice
Mar 29, 2012
✟18,579.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
I need some help.

Hello and Welcome to CF Faithful2Faithless;

First of all, let me assure you that you are not alone in this kind of struggle. Its part of our being human condition. The Bible gives examples of various types who felt this way, one so severe, (Elijah) that he was expressing suicidal ideations.

I have been where you are, and where Elijah of old was. I know just what it's like. It feels so over-whelming, and like it will never go away.

As far as what to do about it, I have found that there is usually more than one thing you need to be doing. Atleast with me I found that the answer was multi-faceted.

1/ If you are like Elijah was, then of course, you should get counselling & seek medical help. PM me for more info on that if it applies to you. I got counselling and it helped a lot.

2/ Regular physical exercise helps a lot. It creates chemical changes in your body that help you to feel more positive, along with improving your diet, if it needs it

3/ I have also found that finding ways to take my mind off of myself and my problem really helps. Volunteer work, hobbies, etc. really are helpful. it's amazing how much helping some one else can end up helping you!

4/ Spiritual work, such as prayer, Bible study, small group meeting, etc Looking at God, studying His Word, trying to know God by claiming His many promises, and remembering that even if all is darkness, the Lord can still be our Light. Not after we get out of the darkness, but while we are right in the thick of it. See Micah 7:8.

I hope these little hints help somehow. :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• stormy.jpg
    stormy.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 4,716
Upvote 0

johenah1633

Transformed, not conformed (Rom 12:2)
Apr 19, 2013
USA
✟15,459.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hey brother. I'm sorry to hear you're going through such a rough time. I don't know what it's like to walk in your shoes each day, but what you're feeling sounds awfully similar to something i've been through as well. It's a horrible feeling; there's no other way to put it. For me, sometimes i wanted to fall asleep and never wake up. However, the only thing that got me through that time was the presence of God. Looking back, even though i didn't always think he was there, he was.

Look, i'm going to pray for ya non-stop. I'm going to pray that he give you peace as you come at him with all your problems, worries and hurts. Any doubts or anger you have towards him tell him. He'll help iron out the wrinkles. One warning too as a friend... don't judge strictly by your feelings. Like nitrogen in the air, Just because you dont feel God at the moment, doesn't mean he's not there. He's crazy about ya, don't give up!

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I have been needing to read these posts, myself. We all have been through some down times, and I will admit that sometimes my faith gets shaken, too. But I know that God is with us all, no matter what, so if we stick by God and learn to trust Him (and I speak for myself, too; it's easier said than done, I know), we will be guaranteed a home in Heaven where all of the worries and problems we are experiencing in this life will be gone -- forever. And that will truly be a blessed day for us all!

I wish I could be more of a help, but this is all I know to say, based on what I know from the Word of God.

Upvote 0
C

CalebTumanako

I need some help.

You know what hurts the most? Our feelings can sometimes - almost always feel like reality, they feel real - so sometimes we're like, I'm feeling this so what is the point?

Well, here's a point - no matter how we feel, God still loves us. There are high points and valleys and no matter how steep that valley is God not only loves you unconditionally (even if you are hurting so badly you think he has forsaken you) but he is also there with you the same time.

God loves you so much. You already know about Jesus Christ, you've already come to him, both of us need to stop trying and working our way to please him - but understand that Jesus has already made us pleasing to the Father. Thank God that he's so gracious.

I've been through a weird relationship in the last year or so by watching alot of Christian television, this pastor says this, this pastor says another, all of them are telling me to obey, serve, commanding me, I feel a heavy presence when I read the Word - one of - either obey or be destroyed or punished, know that this isn't the Lord. When we feel good, we want to praise the Lord, when we feel like crap, we feel like... "Why are you doing this to me, God?" - but know everyone in the world experiences this, even Christians, this is normal and will be normal until we're brought up with new bodies and enter eternal life.

I've suffered my bouts of depression over the years (especially the last few months - about why does God feel so silent?), I lost my grandfather, I lost my girlfriend of eight years, I slept around, I suffered alot and these battles go up, down, up, down, all the time but I know this - our God is hopeful, he is much more than this world, much more than our joys and sadness, you don't have to do a single thing but just KNOW that Christ, God and the Holy Spirit love you dearly. You are their beloved child, God is our Father and he will is always there for us... Even when we feel if he is not.

It's not about obey, commanding, coming under laws or legislation, even Godly legislation - Christ fulfilled all of that. It's just knowing that Christ is Lord, he conquered death and sin and we have a hopeful expectation in not only our joy being restored but aswell as our depression, and having our lives being restored.

You are doing the work God commands as this Scripture points out -

And the people said, "Lord, Lord, what does God want us to do"

The point here is that they thought they all here to do something to gain God's love

And Christ replied, "To believe in the One he has sent".

You will hear from many so-called believers that you have to do this, or that, some of us can't, some of us are in positions where we can't even lift our heads, we feel so tired and weary, that's why we need to be feed. Believe in the one he has sent as you are doing and know God will restore you! In Jesus mighty name.

Not only that but I feel as if the Lord has big plans for you, even the most mightiest men of God went through their trials (none of them were perfect), know we can never figure out the mysteries of the Lord with our minds but our Father is always at work and His Holy Spirit will work on you. Be strong because our Father isn't neglectful, he is loving, kind, tender, strong, mighty, all-powerful, you know the word love? It doesn't do our Father's love justice - what our Father's love is like - is compassion times infinite, he's got you in the palm of his hand.

God bless! :)

Please know the Lord loves you, us, and we are his children. We will trust him, we don't have to feel this abnormal restless pressure to do right, or to obey because it will come supernaturally through the Holy Spirit.

:) :) :)

Upvote 0

Castaway57

Born Twice
Mar 29, 2012
✟18,579.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
Please know the Lord loves you, us, and we are his children. We will trust him, we don't have to feel this abnormal restless pressure to do right, or to obey because it will come supernaturally through the Holy Spirit.

:) :) :)

Amen!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1Y8Naj3RFk

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
C

CalebTumanako

Also, to clarify - you are obeying when you are just believing, when you are taking that leap of faith. The devil said to God - I'm gonna wear out all your saints and he'll wear them out through religion, religious ceremony, the Law - he'll even use God's Law to wear you out, to make you feel inadequete but the reality in the Universe is this - everything has been paid for by Christ, done deal, nothing can undo this deal, it can only spread vicious lies around and make you think something different. It's like a person in an Office spreading gossip about you then going up to you and being all passive-aggressive to you, saying or even whispering things to you - Oh yeah, you're doing a great job but look, you're sucking a bit over there, better do something, don't want the Boss on you - you're like what? Then you feel shut out but don't worry, they're lies meaning they're not the truth, they're not the words that operate in the Heavenly where God's throne is. :)

Just rest in God.

Upvote 0

hawkeyelovejs

Shine bright so others see Christ in you!
Oct 9, 2013
Midwestern girl!
✟7,902.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Christ himself acknowledged we would have troubles while on Earth. I have experienced my own trials and have seen other Christian friends experience theirs. God loves you unconditionally. His love is eternal.

I don't know what you're going through, but something that has helped me in my times of greatest trials is to make note of the blessings I saw in my day. It might be a pleasant conversation with a friend...an email exchange that made me happy. God is everywhere. Be still, pray, and know that He is with us always.

Upvote 0

Another Lazarus

Old Newbie
Sep 19, 2013
✟49,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You cannot dictate God to do what you pleased.

Mat 6 33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

I am a poor labour, homeless man, who fought for food and shelter only. rich billionaires are making fortunes by breaking my bones, I am the poor Lazarus mentioned by Jesus Christ in the Bible, did Lazarus ever complaint to God ?
Dont blame God for your misfortune, even God has shown me how my life will end in a vision from God.

Thank you Jesus

HalleluYah

God bless

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ellwood3

Oct 23, 2013
God's magic forest
✟483.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi Faithful.

You're asking something valuable for many people.

So take heart. Maybe God has provided you an opportunity for growth, and in doing that, knew you would come here, become part of a community you otherwise might not have sought, and it would be valuable to somebody else.

My first thought actually was, maybe God's making you into a saint. :)

He typically pulls back at some point. Makes us reach out, makes us wonder. Makes us reach our limits. And then in time we push past them. God likes to keep us on the cutting edge -- (sounds painful and maybe it is). God takes us outside our comfort zones.

It's not a bad thing. Take it as a growing experience. Stay in place. He's encouraging you to follow even if you don't feel His presence.

Your question reminds me of something said on a video on YouTube. As a newbie, I can't post links yet. But it's called "Rich Mulllins Concert #5."

Mullins is wearing a white tee shirt, talking a bit between songs. And he said this:

YouTube video: "Rich Mullins Concert Part #5"

…. “Jesus said that “My bread is to do the will of my Father.’ I’m all the time being asked by people, ‘how do you feel closer to God?” And I kind of always want to say, ‘I don’t know. When I read the lives of most of the great saints they didn’t necessarily feel very close to God. When I read the Psalms, I get the feeling like David and the other Psalmists felt quite far away from God for most of the time. Closeness to God is not about feelings. Closeness to God is about obedience. It’s just as simple as that.”

Another quote from that video I like is:

“If we were given the scriptures, it was not so we could prove that we are right about everything. If we were given the scriptures it was to humble us into realizing that God is right and the rest of us are just guessing.”

As we grow in faith, we experience growing pains.

Take heart. There's a long line of believers who followed faithfully despite the valleys.

One good devotional for tough (and good) times is Streams in the Desert. Another (same author--L.B. Cowman) is Springs in the Valley.

"Closeness to God is about obedience."

There's a great truth in that.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Faith2Faith. God has given us Commandments, and perhaps you have not been following all. Jesus gives us another one, why not try this one?
In Matthew 22: 35-40: Jesus tells a Lawyer: " The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: Love thy neighbour as thyself." Then Jesus
points out to us: " On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." God wants our Love, freely given and No conditions tagged on.
How to start? Treat all you know and all you meet, friend or not friend, treat them as you would love to be treated: kindly and always with friendly words.
God sees your way of being loving and kind, and God will bless you. Jesus told us to ask, and receive. ( Matthew 7: 7-10) Keep asking God for Love and Joy, then thank God, and share all Love and Joy with your neighbour. You are showing God now that you really want to love and care for your neighbour.
You will find that God will give you His Love and attention, and you will meet many people with which you can share God`s Love and Joy with, and also give a helping hand to. The Love and Joy which Jesus gives us, will make all the difference: keep sharing and caring, and you will know that God Loves you and will bless you. A Christian`s big weapon is Love, with love we can overcome all enmity and wrong behaviour. With God on your side, your Faith in God will grow and grow. God wants loving men and women to turn this imperfect world into a world of Love and Joy, where Christians are getting ready to Love God with all their hearts, souls, and mind, and also love their neighbour as they love themselves.
The Bible keeps telling us to :" Repent," and also to be " Born Again."
Jesus our Saviour will help and guide us: JESUS IS THE WAY. I say this with love, Faithful2Faith. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0